My big Viper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jons17

Reaction score
All,

Here's my recently completed build of QModeling's MRS Viper. It is an excellent build. Quality parts, great instructions and looking forward to my next QModeling kit: MRS Andromeda.

Also putting in a vote for their next upscale to be the Orbital Transport....join the campaign!

Enjoy,

Jon

Jon,

Great looking shot of your Viper. I like the shade of purple you used. What kind of paint is that? Did you have any difficulty doing the purple stripes on the fins?

Here is a shot of the first two QModeling prototype MRS-VIPERS, along with an original Estes EAC Viper.

Here is a shot of prototype #1 on its final flight. The wind blew it on top of a school. I talked the school principal into going onto the roof to retrieve it on Sunday morning, but a thunderstorm on Saturday night before must have dragged it off the roof and carried it away.

The purple was Pearl Purple from Testor's. Really shines in the sunlight.

I didn't follow the instructions for painting and went my own way. First I painted the nose cone and upper tube purple, then when did the fin tips. Waited a week, then masked off the purple I wanted to keep using 1" masking tape for the tube and 1/4" tape for the fin tips.

Then did the yellow, masked that off, then coated with gloss white.

Carefully removed the tape and boom, it looked great. Only a few bleed throughs, but I can live with it.

Jon

Yeah, that sounds like a great way of doing the fins. The masking and sealing is tricky on the purple fin stripes because it abuts two different colors. Your method would certainly be much easier. I guess I was afraid of the dark purple showing through the white and yellow.

Back