My 4 scratch builds.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketry4Life

Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

These are my scratch builds. I know they aren't super pretty, or big, they are just low powered, but I enjoy scratch building no matter how big. I just don't have the money for high powered rockets. The tall silver one is made from 2 BT-80 Estes body tubes coupled together. I found a 24mm tube in a throw out bucket at a local launch, so that became the engine mount. I had an engine hook I tore out of a unrepairable rocket that crashed, the centering rings are thick card stock. The fins I based on the big Bertha fin design because I like the look and they are stable fins, I cut them from sheets of balsa. The launch lugs are bic pens without the end cap and writing tips. The nose one was given to me by a fellow rocketeer. It flies a little bit angled, but slow and realistic. I'm going to remove the engine hook and install motor retainers. I'm going to start flying it on Aerotech composite E's. I named it Silver Surfer.

The yellow one has a body tube I rolled myself out if 2 sheets of construction paper then the ends were glued. The fins are just cardboard I reinforced with super glue. It does not have an engine mount, the engine mount is the body tube, I just rolled an engine block from cardboard and glued it in. The nose cone I rolled with the same construction paper and used a small nail and super glue to add weight in the tip. It was just nose separation recovery but that wasn't working, so I'm going to add a long engine hook to it, and see if the shape works well for tumble recovery. Flies a little wobbly but straight still, also very fast. I was not expecting it to fly well, since I did not do a Rocksim test on it. I used water proofing tape and taped the nose one on because for now I'm just doing ballistic recovery in my yard. I named it zipper

The one with the black bands is pretty odd. I taped 3 sheets of printer paper together than rolled it into an airframe, I glued the ends and originally was only using the electrical tape to keep it together as it dried, but I decided to keep it as decoration. It also has just an engine block and no motor mount, the fins are cut and shaped from credit cards. I took and glued in a dime coin roll at the top, then taped around it to simulate a reducer. I did this because I didn't have a big enough nose cone. The nose cone I found in my range box. Hasn't flown. I named it frankenroc.

The sounding rocket looking one is the oldest one. I used a fin design based on a custom rocket kit design. I just cut them from some sheets of balsa from a model plane kit that a friend of mine botched and decided not to try and fix. The body is from a quest Astra kit, I decided to just use it and keep the parts as spare parts since I had 3 of the kits. I took a nose cone I found in the toss out box at the launches, and decided to roll a sheet of construction paper around it into a cone and glued it onto the nose cone. I added a nail in the tip plus glue just like I did with zipper, the engine mount I made from penny coin rolls and I used the centering rings from the Astra kit. The upper fins are cardboard and I also rolled the launch lugs from coin rolls. I named it Nike SB. (Scratch built) and I used the name nike because it resembles a nike type sounding rocket. Has not flown

The last one I used a clear tube from a mini marshmallow shooter lol, I cut the fins from card stock, and the nose cone is from a cheap rtf kit from Estes called the firehawk. The motor mount is it's airframe with a motor block made out of a bit of an Estes c engine. I named it I'm outta here, because of how fast it flies.

Hope you like these, they aren't eye candy but they are all projects I put effort into, I'll be posting flight videos soon. Once I have the funds I will be starting a rocket for 29mm motors.

It doesn't matter how much money you spend or how amazing your rockets look. What matters is that they're yours and you built them. You get enjoyment from seeing them fly. You take pride in the fact that you designed them yourself and built them from the ground up. That's what matters and truth be told, I think they look great. I'm positive they fly just as well as the most expensive Estes kit around. Keep up the great work and just have fun!

I like the SBB design with the Phoenix Nose Cone.
I started a build 2 decades ago like that.
It just sits around because it only has a short 24mm MMT.
I'd like to cut it out and put in a 29mm MMT in it.
But too much waiting for bench time that is much more important.
And, maybe someday I'll just buy some reloadable 24mm motors and knock out the thrust ring and engine hook and put on an Estes 24mm retainer.
Plus, I really don't like the paint job on it.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=246201&thumb=1&d=1415676160

002 Finished Scratch Builds.jpg

My hat's off to you. I am not a scratch-builder, and so I am always impressed with such creativity.

I like the Silver Surfer.

By my count, you have five scratch builds...

After spending all week on a paint job, only to crash it Saturday, I say super pretty is overrated!

Nice rockets.

Yea, that sucks to see hours of work go to heck in one shot.
I think what is worse, for me anyways, is to watch stick in the top of a 40' pine tree, or other tree, and watch decay over time and come down in pieces.
The hazards of Michigan I've learned to live with.

Back