Multi-Stage Models...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

I've built a few two-staged rockets over the years, but I always wanted, and finally bought an Estes "FarsideX" clone.
I thinking of using the payload section for my "BoosterVision"
gearcam. It ought to be cool seeing the staging from the rockets perspective...!!!
I'm going to practice building skills by building the Estes "Hercules" that I've had sitting around for a while, first...

Flying is going to get expensive for a while...LOL

Steward

I've built a few two-staged rockets over the years, but I always wanted, and finally bought an Estes "FarsideX" clone. I thinking of using the payload section for my "BoosterVision" gearcam.
Modify it to use 24mm motors in the 1st stage. You'll need the high everage thrust of the D12 (or C11) to get something like this moving, especially with the camera payload.

You can steal the Comanche-3 booster setup.

> It ought to be cool seeing the staging from the rockets
> perspective...!!!

Yes, that will be cool. I wanna see it, too.

Doug

I like the CC Express. Flies wonderfully D to D and would easily carry a camera. Might have to try that myself.

With or without a payload, staging rocks! And the Comanche really rocks!

Don't know if you can still find them in the hobby shops but Estes Magnum or Warp-II both have BT-60 payload sections and are easily convertable to 24mm motors use. I'll bet the Warp-II would Really Book on a pair of D12's:D , While the Magnum is a lot bigger model.

All of these are excellent choices...

Just recently. I've seen both... an upscaled two-staged goblin,
as well as an up-scaled Apogee II... Both would be great platforms for cameras and/or electronics... and both could be done with minimal challenges.

Goddard

Coming along...

EDIT:

I wonder what time the hardware store opens on Sunday...
found I have no CA, and could use some fine sandpaper...LOL

A simple build, not difficult at all. Before I paint, I'll check stability... balance and swing test...

The only deviation from original, is the steel fishing cord, mounted to the motor mount. I'll attach the shock cord to that.

Paint in the morning...
the blue is just a mask for the clear tube...

Originally posted by Steward

A simple build, not difficult at all. Before I paint, I'll check stability... balance and swing test...

The only deviation from original, is the steel fishing cord, mounted to the motor mount. I'll attach the shock cord to that.

Paint in the morning...
the blue is just a mask for the clear tube...

Wow: When did Estes change the fin design?
Heres what mine looks like from 1990, I have to say the new fin set up would be a lot easier to align. Did they also change the decal sheet? I had to make my own "Hercules" name decal out if vinyl sheeting.

068-sm_hercules 2-stage_05-26-90.jpg

Originally posted by Micromeister
: When did Estes change the fin design?

It's the same fin design... they're offset in my picture... I think the glue was setting up when I took the shot...

The decal shapes look the same... this one has a red and orange mix... somewhat updated... from the 93-94 catalog.

Steward

Primed and ready. When loaded with motors and laundry, the center of gravity is way backheavy. It takes a lot of nose weight to move it forward, which makes it extremely heavy in my opinion.

Granted, I haven't built and flown multi stage since I was a teen.

I hope to fly it today, we'll see how it goes... then I plan to finish it up this weekend.

Looking Good Steward:
Have you given any thougth to final colors? My hercules and a few other two stagers have been converted for night flight, adding an LED set & battery holders or lighting up the nose conces and shoulders.
You mentioned in the opeing post you were thinking of adding a Gearcam to another model. do you have a pic of this unit? I'd like to see what it looks like and get some dimensions.

I really haven't given the final colors much thought. Busy planning ahead with the "FARSIDE X"... that's the one I'm considering mounting the "GEARCAM" in.
The camera I have now is mounted inside the nose of my scratch built "VIDROCK" knockoff... it would take some time to get to...
I believe you can see it at the "BOOSTERVISION" website.

https://www.boostervision.com/boostervision/default.htm

I built a beta version of the Thrustline Aerospace's "SOLARIS".
It also has a clear payload section that I'm using, with lights, for nighttime flights.

https://www.thrustaero.com/new_stuff!.htm

picture included:
#1 Hercules cover art
#2 Vidrock
#3Hercules primed

I guess when you're retired, and can't get out to launch...
and you're waiting for the paint to dry...
You just sit here and fiddle with the pictures...

Back