Moving up to a D motor.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I think?? The reloads are about as much as a 3 pack or 2 pack of D/E BP motors? Not sure haven't flown BP in awhile? Another thing thats good about the 18mm RMS you can fly C motors in the same rocket as well?

The 18/20 case only has the the D13W and D21T (no E's) available with 4, 7, and 10 second delays, but yes, they are about $20 for a three-pack, and yes, the 18/20 case fits into a motor mount for a standard 18mm Estes A-C motor.

Actually I think?? The reloads are about as much as a 3 pack or 2 pack of D/E BP motors? Not sure haven't flown BP in awhile? Another thing thats good about the 18mm RMS you can fly C motors in the same rocket as well?
I just did a quick price check at BMS: 18mm reloads are about $6 a pop ($18+ for a 3-pack). Estes D12s *list* for $12 for 2, so same price, but if you buy at Hobby Lobby they'll be somewhat less than that.

So in general, 18mm reload Ds are not saving you anything vs. 24mm BP Ds. They will of course get you different thrust curves and/or some additional total impulse. But not a way to save money.

Likewise, 24mm single-use composites cost more than discounted Estes E12s. But worth it. :)

FWIW... What I did on my Hammerhead was to size the motor mount for 29 mm, then made a simple removable adapter that will allow use of 24 mm also. If you stick with this concept as you build future rockets that adapter can be used on any rocket with a 29 mm mount.

That gives you a lot of motor options.

Hammer Head Dwg Rev 04 Sheet 4 of 13.jpg
Hammer Head Dwg Rev 04 Sheet 9 of 13.jpg

I just did a quick price check at BMS: 18mm reloads are about $6 a pop ($18+ for a 3-pack). Estes D12s *list* for $12 for 2, so same price, but if you buy at Hobby Lobby they'll be somewhat less than that.

So in general, 18mm reload Ds are not saving you anything vs. 24mm BP Ds. They will of course get you different thrust curves and/or some additional total impulse. But not a way to save money.

Likewise, 24mm single-use composites cost more than discounted Estes E12s. But worth it. :)
That's good to know. At one point hobbylink sold a 3-pack of reloadable motor systems for a 18 a 24 + 29 I think at the time it was like 75 bucks? I wish I would have bought those when they were available. But I think having an 18 RMS wouldn't be such a bad idea. In fact where did you say you can pick one up at? Cuz I'm starting to fly more the smaller models you know your 24s I might even fly 18s it's just nice to have a variety. On the other hand I also have 29mm and 38mm rockets. I guess it just depends how much money I have in my wallet at the time. I think any size rocket whether you're flying an 18 or a 98 is fun.

Yea, I saw this guy at LDRS in 2003, Argonia, I think. I asked him how he planned on igniting them all at once. He said he installs an aluminum foil flash pan, with a thin layer of BP, on each cluster with one igniter per flash pan. It was pretty impressive flight... I think it was about $1500 in motors though.

That's good to know. At one point hobbylink sold a 3-pack of reloadable motor systems for a 18 a 24 + 29 I think at the time it was like 75 bucks? I wish I would have bought those when they were available. But I think having an 18 RMS wouldn't be such a bad idea. In fact where did you say you can pick one up at? Cuz I'm starting to fly more the smaller models you know your 24s I might even fly 18s it's just nice to have a variety. On the other hand I also have 29mm and 38mm rockets. I guess it just depends how much money I have in my wallet at the time. I think any size rocket whether you're flying an 18 or a 98 is fun.

The case: https://www.erockets.biz/aerotech-rms-18-20-model-rocket-motor-hardware-set-casing-closures-91181/

The reloads: https://www.erockets.biz/18mm-1/

Here is a 27" (body tube length) version of my design.
I believe NAR recommends a length ten times tube diameter, and one and a half tubes (18") brings it out to 27", which is just a little over that.
This might be a reasonable size to go with.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-19 07.19.00.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-19 07.19.00.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 18
A couple of suggestions to help you find the rocket on the way down, if you lose sight of it in the clouds.

Use a Jolly Logic chute release, this holds the chute closed with a rubber band until the rocket reaches a lower altitude, so it won't pop open above the cloud layer and drift farther away out of sight.

Try rigging up a personal keychain alarm so it pulls the pin and sounds an alarm at ejection, these are sometimes called a screamer. You might be able to hear it and find it easier in tall grass when it is screaming at you.

"Bird repellent" reflective mylar tape as a streamer, but your rocket will probably be too heavy and will need a chute, so maybe you can rig up a strip of this some how to not interfere with the chute, the reflections make it much easier to see on the way down.

A little talcum power, not too much, a light dusting of the chute helps it not stick to itself and makes a small cloud when the chute pops open, sometimes visible from the ground.

Your design looks good. I usually look at the specs of other kit rockets in terms of weight, length, dia, engine power, to make sure a kit bash or scratch build is within reasonable limits. Stability is pretty easy to get right, but when you are big and heavy, adding a little nose weight might eat up your margin for speed at the end of the rod. So, a slightly longer tube will increase your moment arm, requiring less nose weight to achieve stability. An oversimplification of the speed at the end of the rod is to make sure your peak thrust (available from thrust curve plots) within the first fraction of second while the rocket is still on the rod is some multiple of the total rocket weight, like 20, for example. But with the OpenRocket you can investigate the launch rod speed much more accurately. In some cases a 6 foot rod may make a big difference compared to a 3 or 4 foot rod, especially on a slighty breezy day. Sounds like you are having fun on your journey of discovery, good luck!

That looks really good. Be aware that fins that go back past the airframe are more likely to break on landing. You can use a larger chute to slow the descent to mitigate this outcome. All part of being a rocketeer!

Remember if you are using balsa fins to keep the train parallel to the leading edge, for strength.

Back