Moving fins forward on Mean Machine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've read about people popping a fin on landing. I plan on building my MM pretty stock (stock balsa fins - not TTW). The instructions say to attach fins 1 inch from the bottom end of the tube.

If I attach the fins higher up the body, maybe 1-2 inches more, think it would help protect the fins from popping off on landing (depending on angle)? Would it effect the flight much?

With fields getting smaller, I'd like to use a chute w a spill hole to help get it back!

My experience with popping fins on MM's is that the lower half tends to land horizontally and on one or two fins and that is usually what pops fins, my current MM suffered a shock cord separation and the lower half actually glides rather well, well enough that fins were popped loose but the rocket is probably repairable once I make some custom coupler to rejoin the doubled airframe (couplers inserted inside airframe for the full length to stiffen it up for E-G motors).

Edit: I should have mentioned that my MM has basswood TTW fins.

Last edited:
You might try anchoring the chute lines with an exterior ring about halfway up the body, to have it descend more or less horizontally.

Back