TTW fin tabs on smaller fins w/tip to tip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyhager3

Orange is best color, NAR/TRA L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been cooking up a new design and found something I like (below)
1697927950716.png
It is a 5.38" cardboard, fully glassed with tip to tip glass, and will have a 75mm hole so I can run a prototype modular motor mount thing, but it will mostly be flown on K's and maybe down to I's. Quick note, the fin tab is not supposed to be there I just noticed it, so disregard it. My question is would I need to do fin tabs on the upper (smaller) fin? I would assume not, but I would like to be certain before I finalize it, and draw up a cad, and send it over to @DragonRocketry because I'm also going to ask for a custom 5:1 nose on it :), and I wouldn't mind having the fins be all nice and professionally done, and that I'm too lazy to get certified on our CNC machines.

Also, fins will be 1/4" ply.

Thanks,
Jacob

Those forward one do not need to be TW. When you go to install them take a 1/8" drill bit and put little dimples into the body tube just through the glass. Then just do tip to tip over them.

So i just found out that I'll be able to do a fully carboned build (cardboard with full carbon-wrapped tube and tip to tip), so should I even bother with fin-tabs at all?

So i just found out that I'll be able to do a fully carboned build (cardboard with full carbon-wrapped tube and tip to tip), so should I even bother with fin-tabs at all?
I would just for that extra insurance. Just because you are using carbon does not mean they still cannot be broken off.

Back