Mistake that helped me get my L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So i used my jolly logic in my LOC IV this weekend, i wasn't planning on it but they all seemed confident and taught me how to use it. Well little did i know, I forgot to charge it after i got it. I had it the first time, did some sanding work before getting in line and my gut told me to check it to make sure it was still on? Well i was right it wasnt. And the cord had released. Not thinking, i quickly folded and reattached. During the countdown i remembered that i hadn't charged it but it was too late. It went up, and its like the world was put on mute, all i could think was keeping my eyes on it. Luckily when i refolded it i did it too loose and it opened at apogee, because when i found it the cable was still attached and not on. Still not sure what happened but the mistake worked out haha

Attachments

• YouCut_20231021_174751910_1.gif
    YouCut_20231021_174751910_1.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
So i used my jolly logic in my LOC IV this weekend, i wasn't planning on it but they all seemed confident and taught me how to use it. Well little did i know, I forgot to charge it after i got it. I had it the first time, did some sanding work before getting in line and my gut told me to check it to make sure it was still on? Well i was right it wasnt. And the cord had released. Not thinking, i quickly folded and reattached. During the countdown i remembered that i hadn't charged it but it was too late. It went up, and its like the world was put on mute, all i could think was keeping my eyes on it. Luckily when i refolded it i did it too loose and it opened at apogee, because when i found it the cable was still attached and not on. Still not sure what happened but the mistake worked out haha

I've had this occur four times. In two cases, I lost the rocket, one was returned a year or so later after being roughly treated on a sod farm. The other resides with the trees.

You really have to wrap it snugly.

I usually wrap it with a little fluff on both sides of the band--a little bowtie-ish, so that the wind doesn't pull it early. I usually make it as tight as I can stand--if it isn't hard to connect the band, it is probably not tight enough. I usually do two or three drop tests before I get comfortable with my folding.

I had one rocket (a PML Bumblebee) that would not for the life of it keep its parachute inside the chute release, until one day I tried packing the parachute sideways, with the chute release on top instead of on the side. That worked perfectly, and it was easier to turn it on at the pad.

I wouldn't necessarily do that for other rockets though, since the chute does get jammed in pretty tightly, and I'm depending on that piston that is standard with PML rockets to shove it out.

I am hesitant to recommend a JLCR for certs. I like level 1, at least, so be as simple as possible.

I tend to agree, especially for L1.

L2 Maybe, but, I'm generally in favor of using a heavier/draggier rocket than crutching a high shot in a small whoosh pop rocket with a chute release.

Of course, if you have a large field with a large recovery area, my concerns are not worth consideration.

Once you start using Altimeters and get comfortable with DD, most people's perspectives change.

Once you start using Altimeters and get confortable with DD, most people's perspectives change.
This is the thing here. My opinion is that chute releases and dual deployment on a certification flight are fine, IF the candidate has previous experience with those systems. I would strongly advise against your first flight with a chute release or dual deploy being your certification flight.

I certified level 2 with dual deploy, but flew the rocket on an I motor twice before attempting the certification.

This is the thing here. My opinion is that chute releases and dual deployment on a certification flight are fine, IF the candidate has previous experience with those systems. I would strongly advise against your first flight with a chute release or dual deploy being your certification flight.

I certified level 2 with dual deploy, but flew the rocket on an I motor twice before attempting the certification.
Agreed.

Edited: I would not encourage a DD flight for L2. If you are comfortable, great. If you are not, just meet the requirements. A 4" or 5.5" Goblin or similar will easily take a baby J, without electronics, on a small field.

Back