Minor Ex' problems. Need help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexo

Reaction score
Well guys.. i went to a launch today to shoot off my executioner. I built this completely stock, so learned many things:

1. I HATE ESTES CHUTES!! I flew 3 times on E9-4, and every time it had problems. Tangled, lost half the shroud lines, etc. Luckily it didnt hit the cement, so it could have had worse damage than chipped fin tips.

2. Provide more internal structure than what estes has. The motor mount uses two 1/8" cardboard centering rings spaced about a foot apart. On the last fall (which hit rather hard because of the frickin chute), the paint cracked at the BT spiral lines. Next time i need stronger centering rings, and ill probably use wood.

3.Fins tips get crapped up really easily. On hard landings, the fins would get a small, but still noticeable, chip off the tip.

This leads me to my questions.

1. I need to get nylon parachutes. If possible, i would rather make them myself, though i dont know how reliable thatll come out. Could you point me to a site that sells nylon chutes in many sizes or that shows how to make them?

2. Do you have any suggestions for fin tip protectors? I was thinking of using tin to make a small metal cover, but it wouldnt cover more than half an inch from the tip of the fin. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help. Any info/ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex

Originally posted by Alexo
1. I need to get nylon parachutes. If possible, i would rather make them myself, though i dont know how reliable thatll come out. Could you point me to a site that sells nylon chutes in many sizes or that shows how to make them?

There several good ripstop chute makers. Mostly it depends on how rugged of a chute you want. For a good starting point try Thrustline Aerospace
John manufactures a real nice parachute. If tou want to go a bit heavier and you have the room youi can try someone like Anchor Parachutes there are others, but these come to mind first.

2. Do you have any suggestions for fin tip protectors? I was thinking of using tin to make a small metal cover, but it wouldnt cover more than half an inch from the tip of the fin. Any ideas?

If you paint the fin with a coat of thin CA before assembly it will add a fair amount of durability. I often use a similar technique, except I paint a line of epoxy along the outer edges. YMMV

CA=Cyanoacrylate = hobby grade super glue.
For this purpose, I would drop by the local hobby store and pick up a small bottle of thin CA. Very similar to krazy glue.

on my executioner, i found that the stock parachute, even with a spill hole, is a little too big.
as big as the executioner is, its very light for its size and would do much better with a nice 18" rip stop 'chute IMO

-Alex
You could also use model aircraft tissue and attach it with a non-water-based glue to the sides of the fins (possibly lapping it over the edge. (Water-based glues can cause the tissue to wrinkle, which will show through any thickness of paint.)

I doubt that metal fin tip covers would pass muster with the model rocket safety codes. I think it would count as a substantial part, much like using a metal nose cone would be. Imagine it coming down fast with a partially stripped parachute and a kid grabbing it. Ouch! Or if it landed on someone's car. I'd rather take a broken fin tip than t give the bird "iron" claws. (Yeah, yeah, tin claws.)

You want to make your own chutes just do a search either here or on google for Parachute Gores. The web site escapes me but the one I found has patterns in pdf format and gives instructions on construction. I have made chutes special for several rockets.

When I first read the title of this post I figured your "Ex" was holding some of your rockets hostage. And I was also wondering how any problems with the "Ex" could be minor!

Glad to hear it's just a parachute question! WHEW!!!! :)

FWIW: I almost always substitute a nylon chute for the plastic one that comes with the kits that I build.

On my Executioner I use a 24" Spherechute when it is calm. This is a little bit of overkill, but the rocket lands softly.

If it is windy, or I send it up on an E motor, I use a 24" X-Form from Top Flite.

I have not had any trouble with the plywood fins chipping.

hey guys! thanx for all your responses!

i know for a fact that i will not ever be flying a rocket with an estes chute in it anymore. Three flights and all of them had problems with chutes. Argh!!

as for nylon chutes, im probably going to get buy my chutes for now.. just dont want to get it too complicated. Although i definitely will keep these sites in mind, because they sound like an interesting project.

i think ill forget about my idea of metal fin tips.. I guess it will be a little too dangerous, but covering the tips on CA sounds a wee bit more reasonable.

Yeah - the CA coupled with the parachute actually deploying should eliminate your fin tip problems. Unless of course it's landing on a road. There's not much you can do about road rash, unfortunately. Cats and roads are fins worst enemies...:p

hey guys! thanx for all your responses!

i know for a fact that i will not ever be flying a rocket with an estes chute in it anymore. Three flights and all of them had problems with chutes. Argh!!

as for nylon chutes, im probably going to get buy my chutes for now.. just dont want to get it too complicated. Although i definitely will keep these sites in mind, because they sound like an interesting project.

i think ill forget about my idea of metal fin tips.. I guess it will be a little too dangerous, but covering the tips on CA sounds a wee bit more reasonable.

I buy my ripstop chutes (general purpose hexagonal chutes) from Thrustline. They are top notch and I *highly* recommend them.

Back