Milled fiber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxpower

Reaction score
Where do you get your milled fiber? What size strands do you use?

Thanks

I got some from us composites, very nice, but I am sure it is all the same, they had west fillers, and then their own type (what I got), they have a TON of different types for almost any application. It is also pretty cheap...

Unless you buid a LOT of big rockets, you'll get far more in the $19 packs from FibreGlast (a great supplier, BTW) than you'll need.

Great Planes (available from Tower Hobbies or most chain hobby shops) sells 1/16" milled fiberglass in small quantities for about $6. See here . I carry this size in my flight box, really improves the strength of 5 and 12 minute epoxy or as a gap filler for CA repairs.

I also mix this, about 50-50% by volume, with glass microspheres (or cabosil), and add to the epoxy I use for making external fillets. Much stronger than straight epoxy and builds up thicker as well.

Barry

the filler from Binder designs is great, and it's more than enough for one or two rockets unless you build them waaay stronger than they need to be (or if you're building a 1/2 scale model saturn V)

Super strong too.

Before anyone works with chopped graphite fibers, you should understand what you are doing.

This stuff is already under review for medical effects similar to asbestos fibers. You need to wear a respirator (I am not up to speed on exactly what level of protection is recommended), you need proper ventilation, and you should follow rigorous clean-up procedures to remove any stray fibers in your work area.

These fibers can also float airborn, and are attracted to static electricity just like dust. When they land on circuit boards (TVs, stereos, you name it, even the iron has a circuit board now) they cause shorts.

Unless you just HAVE to have this stuff, I would leave it alone.

An important warning. Thanks!

This reminds me of a weapon used not long ago (I think in the initial phases of the action in Iraq). It's a low yield bomb that scatters carbon strands all around. It's used in an air burst over power plants to short things, trip breakers, and do minor damage to knock out power but leave things in a readily repairable state. I may have some of the details off, but this is fascinating to the electrical engineer in me.

On another note, is there any similar warning about glass fibers or kevlar pulp (the inhalent part, not the electrical part, as these are both insulators)?

Back