Mike IX...we can rebuilt it...we have the technology...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to fly the rebuilt, two stage MikeIX today. We had beautiful weather here in Oklahoma today. After launching a few of my old favorites to check the winds, it was time to go for broke and try this baby out.

Here she is locked and loaded....

I knew that no matter what happened, this would be an interesting flight. It was....

All three D12-0's lit perfectly on the booster stage. Whoosh....POP...the booster separated and it's chute came out....but the sustainer didn't light.

This is the morbidly cool part. The sustainer flew great. It was strange watching the sustainer coast up in complete silence to about 1500 ft. It arched over at apogee and started to accelerate back to earth. I'm not sure how fast is was going when it hit the ground, but it was whistling. ---core sample---

The MikeIX is officially dead. I still want to make the two-stage version work. Gap staging 3 motors to 1 didn't work. Maybe a timer in the upper stage?

Here's the aftermath...

Very nice step by step. Sorry about the core sample. I have one question though, how did the 'chute deploy in the booster?

On another note, if/when you rebuild, instead of using a cone, why not try a stuffer tube that extends all the way to the sustainer mmt. Or maybe the gap is too big for the booster motors to ignite the sustainer. Make the booster a little shorter so the motors can almost touch and it should work great next time.

For the booster chute deployment I tied a loop in the "shock cord". I then made a "hook" out of solder and glued it to the bottom of the sustainer on the aft centering ring. When the booster and sustainer go together, the loop gets hooked onto the solder. This way when the booster separated the shock cord will pull the chute out.....but the solder is soft enough that it will give away if something gets tangled.

I hope that makes sense....

John

Originally posted by OKTurbo
For the booster chute deployment I tied a loop in the "shock cord". I then made a "hook" out of solder and glued it to the bottom of the sustainer on the aft centering ring. When the booster and sustainer go together, the loop gets hooked onto the solder. This way when the booster separated the shock cord will pull the chute out.....but the solder is soft enough that it will give away if something gets tangled.

I hope that makes sense....

John

I was thinking of kinda the same thing. Great minds think alike.

Hmmm...

There might be enough parts left to rebuild it....

:D :D :D :D

Is the nose cone still good? Send me a list and I'll replace all the damaged stuff. I really want to see this work!

:D

Hey John...

No...the nose cone is pretty bad off. The shoulder is messed up. It would take a LOT of filler to get it back to "normal". The booster got zippered a bit when the chute came out, but it will be an easy fix. I may try a streamer instead of the chute....velocity at stage separation is too high for a chute. (But the ThrustAero mylar chute survived it!)

The sustainer will need some work. New nose cone....section of BT80 tube....and I'll need to cut some new forward fins (the small ones).

Upper stage ignition is still the big question. I'd like to keep it simple. I've never seen the set-up, but apparently "The Launch Pad" had a simple system for upper stage ignition they called 'booster switch assembly' ... or something like that. It involved a lever actuated mini snap switch, a 9 volt battery, and some wiring. All this was carried in the sustainer. Upon booster separation, the switch would be actuated sending the voltage to an Estes ignitor which would fire up the sustainer's motor.

It sounds like a nifty little system, but I haven't been able to find any pictures or drawings of how the switch is actuated.

Got any ideas?????

I could buy a timer, but that just adds to the $$$.

Well...

I've decided to give it another try. I ordered parts from BMS to rebuild her. This time I'm going to go with a Perfectflite miniTimer3 for sustainer ignition.

Which is the preference? Break wire / pull-pin or G-switch? I'm leaning toward the G-switch....it just seems simpler.

(The BMS order also included parts for my 29mm upscale Sprint and 29mm upscale Interceptor)...Gordon will be upset if I don't use those nose cones he made me.:D

Well...

I've decided to give it another try. I ordered parts from BMS to rebuild her. This time I'm going to go with a Perfectflite miniTimer3 for sustainer ignition.

Which is the preference? Break wire / pull-pin or G-switch? I'm leaning toward the G-switch....it just seems simpler.

I say go with the G-switch. I had pondered this idea long ago in the Thrustline Yahoo group. Well, the dang timer is just sitting in its baggy collecting dust. :( One of these days....perhaps you'll get me motivated to follow your lead. Good luck on the re, re-build. ;)

Well...

(The BMS order also included parts for my 29mm upscale Sprint and 29mm upscale Interceptor)...Gordon will be upset if I don't use those nose cones he made me.:D

Looking forward to how you handle the airstart problem.

We do not want to upset Gordon...He is an artist with Balsa...Don't ya know...

"Bows deeply in the direction of Sandman"

It's about time to give this one another try....

I ordered a PerfectFlite MT3G minitimer w/ G-switch today....along with the 9V NiCad battery and charger.

I think I have all the necessary parts for the rebuild. Nose cone...body tube...etc.

This will be my second attempt at a two stage Thrustline MikeIX. The gap staging experiment did not go well. So now it's time for some modern technology. The plan is to use 3 D12-3's in the booster. The booster will have a stage coupler with plug so the D12-3's can eject a streamer or small parachute after the sustainer lights. I'm going to make the fit fairly loose to the sustainer hoping for a drag separation. But, it the drag separation doesn't work the sustainer ignition will definately separate the booster.

The sustainer will have a single D12-7 ignited by the timer....using a standard Estes ignitor.

I'll have to put all the parts together and see how it fits, plus check stability margins on the CG/CP for the full stack and for the sustainer alone.

She'll also get a new paint job. The old girl is starting to look a bit ratty.

I'll post updates as the re-birth progresses.

I'm running out of excuses on this one. Guess it's about time to get started rebuilding....

MT3Ga.jpg

Those are little normally closed snap switches I ordered from Perfectflite. You use them for a safety switch on the power wire to the timer. Glue a piece of tubing on them...drill a hole thru the body tube...when you insert a pin, the switch opens and no power to the timer. A simple "Remove before flight" switch. That way I can insert the pin and hook up the ignitor w/o power to the timer. At least that's the plan:D

Wow...it's been a while since I've worked on this one. I got a few projects out of the way so I'm determined to get this one flying again.

I've put together a mini electronics bay for the sustainer. It's a BT60 tube that will go in the BT80 main body tube.

Here's the parts layout.

08.05.05 mix2 001a.jpg

Another picture of it partially assembled. The metal pin will go in the snap switch at the top....Timer off when the pin is in....remove before flight.

The coax connector at top is the main power 'switch'. I'll install a coax connector in the top of the electronics bay to turn the power on. If the connector is in my pocket.....the timer is off.

A tube runs down to the aft end and will carry the ignitor wires for the sustainer.

Close-up on the main power "switch". I soldered the inner post and outer sleeve of the coax connector together. Fix-It epoxy clay covers the end.

looking good, i've always wanted to try a timer...i have a PerfectFlite Alt-25k altimeter, and my dad has (had) two MAWD altimeters (one destroyed), so I'm pretty familier with their stuff. I'm inspired now...

OKTurbo - glad this thread came back to life - this is just the thing I need to see to help me with my nike ajax - that is a nicely crafted electronics bay! very nice work. I like the idea of the coax connector power 'switch'.

I have a question regarding PF's timers. How many events do they have? For example, if I was lighting 2 airstarts (which is what I'm doing), would I need one or two timers? I'm looking at the cheapest one, the MicroTimer2.

Thanks,

Thanks Stevem. It was your thread that got me off my duff.

The PerfectFlite MiniTimer and the MicroTimer are both single event. So you'll need two of them....but they're very small...especially the microtimer.

I've got it all put together. Next thing is a much needed re-paint. Just waiting for the glue to dry.

Decision time.

Should I go back with the "Winter Splinter" camo scheme, or try something else on the new 2-stage Mike IX?

Here she is in a fresh coat of primer.....

Decision time.

Should I go back with the "Winter Splinter" camo scheme, or try something else on the new 2-stage Mike IX?

Here she is in a fresh coat of primer.....

Since I know every paint job of yours always comes out pegging the "cool" meter, I vote go with something different! But only because of the wow factor, the last paint job was awesome.:D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Since I know every paint job of yours always comes out pegging the "cool" meter, I vote go with something different! But only because of the wow factor, the last paint job was awesome.:D

I am totally in agreement here. The last paint job was fantastic. I say why scratch old wounds? My vote goes for something new. I have no idea what, but I bet you could impress us all with something else. :)

Okay fellers...

I finally got some new paint on the 2 stage Mike IX. I drew up a decal design and Phred made me some decals....thanks Phred.

I wanted it to have a "sinister" look. pseudo military....stealthy...as if a missile needs to be stealthy... ;)

What do ya'll think?

10.05.05 mix2 001a.jpg

Here's a picture without the flash. It's kinda hard to photograph the flat paint. The main fins on the sustainer have gloss black on the leading edges. There's a gloss black strip up the side where the white lettering is.

Back