Midwest Power 9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday started at 6 something in anticipation of launching the new Tarantula before the winds arrived. After some AmericInn waffles, to the field we go to burn some AP & BP.

Tarantula leaves the pad at 9:30 (see Mr. Reese photo) and makes it way to just over 20,000'. We lose sight after the smoke grain burns out, but see the rocket to the Southeast after main deployment (thank you tracker(s)). Drive off only to see it standing straight up in the middle of a field! Healthy walk, but easy visual recovery! Stuck landing
MWP9030-1.jpg

While I'm out in the field, buddy Ed's Crazy Train scoots into the sky on four 7600 Wayside White loads...bummer I wasn't closer, but it was sweet from a mile away! Back at camp, it's time to final prep the big V-2. Once it's in the ready state, Sather Ranum and I work on determining how to turn a V-2 into a Jayhawk variation.
MWP9032-2.jpg

We shove the V-2 onto the pad and it departs on time at 11:30am. The Red M gracefully pushed the 100+lb beast to 'bout 3600' (see Mr. Reese "pictars"/Mr. Fox photos). Nice ol' recovery to the South of the pads (and hey those #8-32 shear pins held the uber heavy nose in place until main deploy!).

LCO duty from 12-3 with buddy Dan Byra. Brian and Dad Smith attempt to kill me;) in the process. I snap this photo of the Wildmen from the LCO zone.
MWP9053.jpg

Range duty complete, time to put up another rocket. This time my Pa's "Wisconsinite"; 5" Intimidator on a Research Experimental M2230 White. You know it's serious when it's both Research & Experimental! Tried out RX propellant in Aerotech style hardware...turned out just fine. Thanks to TonyA (TFish) for the inspiration to try it out.
MWP9054-1.jpg

Pizza in the evening, then off to the night launch. I'll post a night recap a bit later!

-Eric-

Saturday started at 6 something in anticipation of launching the new Tarantula before the winds arrived. After some AmericInn waffles, to the field we go to burn some AP & BP.

Man, you must eat b'fast early... I never saw you all weekend while I was eating waffles!

Tim, you aren't kidding....it seemed like everytime the PA crackled you heard Eric's name then a loud whoosh! It was a pleasure to finally meet you Eric, what a great bunch of rockets and truly a class act.

Around that time, a guy from Ohio flew an Aerotech Phoenix rocket glider. He would fly the Phoenix several times over the course of Friday and Saturday. If anybody knows his name, lemme know!
MWP9006-1.jpg

That is Joe Grubb from Team Ohio & WV soar
The Cherokee K is his rocket as well.

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]yEl2NW_8Xzg&feature=feedu[/YOUTUBE]

Here is video of the Chicago Rocket Mafia "Carbon Nightmare" on an M2250 C*.

Manny

My Buddy Eric
Ya know revenge will be swift
Maybe even Twwwooooo times
I wonder if Gilette has a Brow blade
I guess I will just use my bikini trimmer ( USED )
RJ

Friday Report:

N

I convince Chelsey to rename the rocket "My little Pinky" in the meantime. Observation: "Titanic's" L3 attempt also contains much pink paint...I think Brian likes Pink more that Chelsey. Without further ado, My Little Pinky, which flew well on a 54-2G sparkeriffic motor:
MWP9019-1.jpg

Eric?
How can this report be complete yet?

I KNOW you must have a pic of the great pink decorating job she did on the porta-potty!

How can this report be complete yet?

I KNOW you must have a pic of the great pink decorating job she did on the porta-potty!

Crazy Jim, we have to save some "dirty" secrets for a magazine article...can't spill all the beans about the pink porta pooper (although if you're really curious, Mark Fox posted a photo).

My Buddy Eric
Ya know revenge will be swift
Maybe even Twwwooooo times
I wonder if Gilette has a Brow blade

Roger, in fact Gillette does sell a brow blade...I worked with their R&D dept. before it hit the market. Four blades and that comfy rubber cushion to gently lift the skin prior to the superior blade action. No more chaffing of the foreheads after a clean shave.:eyepop:

Mark: Thanks!!! And thanks for taking those great photos! And congrats on the beautiful cert flight. And it was good eating chow with you on Friday! I think I need a Big Nuke now...darn you!

it seemed like everytime the PA crackled you heard Eric's name then a loud whoosh! It was a pleasure to finally meet you Eric, what a great bunch of rockets and truly a class act.

Gus, you're the best; you really are! Let me tell you something folks, I occasionally do dumb things...I can openly admit this...my wife will confirm this. Well, I did a dumb thing a few years back, not intentially, but truth be told, I was a D-bag to Gus:blush:. If I were in his shoes, I'd have a poor opinion of me from that point forward, indefinitely. Instead, Gus took time out of his weekend to introduce himself and we were able to talk ourselves into being buds:). Those that know Gus, already understand that he not only builds the best rockets in the land (although Vic is trying hard to de-throne him;)), but he is also a hell of a guy...a true class act that can take and give crap with the best of them. I've long admired Gus's projects and abilities; I'm thrilled that we were able to finally able to properly introduce ourselves. Thank you Gus for being top notch, building and flying rockets we all admire, and driving a bad ass Challenger! Good seeing you bud, and THANK YOU! (Good to see you chiming in on the 'puter forums too!)...and I can't live without Mt. Dew either!:eyepop:

Man, you must eat b'fast early... I never saw you all weekend while I was eating waffles!

I actually ate waffles while simulaneously driving to the field, pouring BP charges, prepping igniters, installing shear pins, building motors, and drinking Mountain Dew. I actually have 16 arms. In reality, I only did waffles Sat. morning...as we drove down Fri morning and left Sat. after the night launch.

-Eric-

Last edited:

Thanks to everyone for the photos of the glider. I have my hands full while flying so never get any myself.

The first flight was on Friday morning and was picture perfect with about four minutes of glide time. The problem on the last flight, yes literally the last flight, on Saturday was that the motor blew out the case so rather than a G12 glider motor with a nine second burn it was more like a G80. The boost was very hard to control and ended up inverted only about 200 feet high (normal is 500-600). After recovering from the inverted attitude I noticed that the trim on the elevator kept changing. Finally I had full up in it and it was still diving. That was at the point that the tail twisted in the photos above.

I thought that the overly agressive boost had knocked the tail loose and that was the problem. Upon arriving at the crash site I discovered a fire. I quickly stomped it out and looked around for the parts. The wing was there about ten feet away. All of the radio gear had been "ejected " in the crash and was about twenty five feet away and still all hooked together. The vertical fin was the only other part in the immediate area. I looked around a little for the fuselage. Picked up the case and saw the hole in the side and then it hit me. The fire I had stomped out WAS the fuselage.

From the time of ignition the airplane was on fire. Apparently balsa wood burns pretty clean as there was little smoke. In the photos above you can see the tail leaving the plane. That's because the boom was burned in half.

The photos in this thread confirmed my suspicions. No worries. A new glider will be ready by spring. Not sure why the case over pressurized. I've had probably a hundred flights without a motor issue. That's a pretty good average.

Yes, the Cherokee was mine too. It's 5.5 inches and on the K700 went a little over 5000' and landed within 200 yards of the pad.

Thanks to Tim and everyone involved. A great launch. Already on my calender for next year.

Thank you Gus for being top notch, building and flying rockets we all admire, and driving a bad ass Charger!

-Eric-

Now you really did it!

It is a Challenger, not a Charger :no:

:caffeine: Maybe?

Now you really did it!

It is a Challenger, not a Charger

Maybe?

See, I told you I occasionally do stoopid things. Fixed the mistake, maybe he won't notice! Hey, they both start with "Ch" and are produced by the Dodgers;).

Claude, tell me about your Yellow Jacket on the sparky motor when you get a chance...whether it be here or through a PM. Thanks, and thanks for Pad Managing at MWP!

-Eric-

See, I told you I occasionally do stoopid things. Fixed the mistake, maybe he won't notice! Hey, they both start with "Ch" and are produced by the Dodgers;).

Claude, tell me about your Yellow Jacket on the sparky motor when you get a chance...whether it be here or through a PM. Thanks, and thanks for Pad Managing at MWP!

-Eric-

Hey, I doubt if Gus will mind much--he calls it a Fiat (just a really fast one ;)).

You guys......:D I've only flown twice this year ( both N5800's ) one sucessfull, one .......well let's not go there! I think Claude has a picture somewhere of the "water recovery"......( I always get my rocket back). It's the PEOPLE I meet that make this hobby SO enjoyable and the outpouring of help and unselfish acts that I see that keep me coming back. "Angry Anne" will become the "Wildstar" and will fly again someday......gee i've got another N5800 sitting in the corner.....hmmmmm......:D
I hope too see ALL of you at Thunderstruck 3 (or as the Battleground Indiana Fire Dept. calls it when i fly my BIG Skidmark motors....Farmageddon). Take care!

Last edited:
Midwest Power 9 was executed with great success for the ninth year in a row. I was able to attend and I captured many hours of raw video footage that will be post produced in the next couple of months. DVD productions are an extensive and laborious effort, but I really enjoy seeing the end results and I know many are looking forward to seeing it as well! Thank you for your interest and support, and I look forward to delving into formal post production very soon. Please look for these to be for sale come the first of the year from Wildman Rocketry and Rockets Magazine.

Here is the obligatory teaser video:
[YOUTUBE]kd8wNHUKnEs[/YOUTUBE]

Justin

Justin, excellent! Put me on the list!

I have watched the MWP8 DVD a couple of times (concentrating on my L3 BTW)--love it!

Justin - Great looking promo. I'm sure the final product will be awesome as well. You set the bar really high.

Gary T - I flew my first set of BlastCaps on my Ultimate in the N5800 drag race. Very impressed with how easy they were to install, prep for flight, and clean afterward. I'll be getting a few more for Christmas. (Great stocking stuffers!)

Tim D - missed seeing you on the field, but saw your alien fly. Hopefully bump into you at Thunderstruck.

I actually ate waffles while simulaneously driving to the field, pouring BP charges, prepping igniters, installing shear pins, building motors, and drinking Mountain Dew.

Eric - I actually believe that. Seeing the WOOSH scramble rocket built in 7 minutes and change was truly an eye-opening example of superb time management and organizational skills. You have 'em.

cheers.

Sather

Very nice video Justin. That 2 1/2 minutes was more entertaining than the whole hour show of LDRS on S.C.

Justin
Looks like you did another great job. Can't wait to get the video. Did you say you did get my Raven's flight? I launched it on Sat. on the Kosdon J-1500. It was launched off the right side pads.
Thanks much
Gary
TFRLLC

I'm in for a video as well, looks like you caught my L3 cert bright and early Friday morning. If your interested I can send you a copy of the drag race video I took. I think it was the first one on YouTube and it is 1080 HD.

Midwest Power 9 was executed with great success for the ninth year in a row. I was able to attend and I captured many hours of raw video footage that will be post produced in the next couple of months. DVD productions are an extensive and laborious effort, but I really enjoy seeing the end results and I know many are looking forward to seeing it as well! Thank you for your interest and support, and I look forward to delving into formal post production very soon. Please look for these to be for sale come the first of the year from Wildman Rocketry and Rockets Magazine.

Justin

Great teaser Justin. Put me first in line for the video.

It looks like Justin captured much higher quality than us (I hope!), but here’s the video of AP Soda launching on a N3400 sparky. The winds were high, and we had some weather cocking, but overall, a nice flight.

Jackson reminded me that I swore up and down, over and over again that we would not, no way, NOT EVER, put a 6 grain XL motor in that bottle. So, here is the evidence of my strong backboned parenting.

5 foot tall rocket. 4 foot tall motor. Sparky. In a recycling container. Renew. Re-use. Recycle. Relaunch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opf93XfJN_M

-Eric-

FoxRacingGuy posted a nice picture of that flight.

DSC002581.jpg

It was a CTI I223 SK. The rocket is an upscale of the Estes Yellow Jacket in 2.56 tubing.

Fun little thing. It was my only flight outside of the drag race.

Go back to the pits to prep another rocket only to find Crazy Jim causing a stir in the Cayemberg encampment. First CJ lands a Wild Child in one of our folding chairs, putting a hole through it, then he calls up Don Ball to figure out how to sabotage the new Tarantula. Busted!
MWP9015-1-1.jpg

Hey, HEY
I don't need help to get in more trouble, Boy, guilty by association, but that was me on the phone (oops):D

Hey, HEY
I don't need help to get in more trouble, Boy, guilty by association, but that was me on the phone (oops)

I know...phone rang while I was shooting bulls with Jim...he mentioned it was you! On a related note, finally had a successful flight with the rare BSD Whiplash...first "flight" was a J825 Redline cato at LDRS 27; the shortened version flew well this weekend on a baby J400 White to just under 10,000'. Early deployment kept it under 10k'. Fun flight anyways; no inflight photos that I know of.
MWP9023-1.jpg

-Eric-

Back