Micro Sky Writing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us know about Art Applewhites Bic Pen. Many of us have altered them into fine flying micros with recovery systems and alternate fincans.

Some have been flying Micro Crayons in various sizes for sometime as well. I'm wondering how many other writing impliments are out there?

A couple years back the club promoted a sport launch fun fly "skywriting" where we were to come up with models of the venue.

Lets see what other micro Skywriting models are around? Anyone converted magic markers or pastels yet?

MM 258a2-sm_to g1_7 Micro Bic Pens group pic_03-14-06.jpg

I was looking at the crayon and was going...wow that's pretty nicely sized.

Then I noticed it was sitting next to a mosquito.

How do you even craft such things? I get impatient on 4 foot tall 3 inch diameter rockets:rolleyes:

THAT'S why they call him Micro!!!!!LOL:roll::roll:

LOL!!! Yeap working in miniature just appeals to the stranger side of me. 6'-2" 320 with big ol'e ham hands...makes folks say "how'd ya do that". LOL!!!
best answer is "it's fun".
That Tiny Crayon is just an [SMIDGE] larger then the motor. Was inspired by a crayon party garland. The box of 8 crayons are full size renditions of their natural world counterparts.

Working on a fine line and standard felt tip Magic markers. A paint brush and pallet have been considered but havn't worked out a good "size" combination as yet. Then will see what other Skywriting color things we can come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
whats a [SMIDGE]?

whats an [SMIDGE]?

An Archaic semi-precision measuring impliment or scale similar to the "cubit" or "hand" used for tiny or minute things. Possibly introduced by ancient mariners or pirates. Ask just about any sailor or Marine they should be able to give a more detailed explaination.

Forgive me I should have used a better reference.

"The tiny crayon has a wall thickness less then 1/32" larger then the motor casing".

Last edited:
Ask just about any sailor or Marine they should be able to give a more detailed explaination.

I was wondering about that model as well. Thank you for the measurement translation. I was a Marine, and I don't know what an [DELETED] is either. Maybe it's a more 'SENIOR' Marine/Sailor measurement? :confused2::D

Sailor here. I've never heard that term either. Maybe it's more familiar to the navigation types. :)

Well I've been on the water for 40 + years....... come on guys.....you ALL know it. Hint: Small as a Gnats A$$. or tiny as a [DELETED].....

Back to your regular programming...... arrggggg ..... ye.. mate...ies .

If you still ain't got it......... google it!@#$%$#@!:bangpan:

Well I've been on the water for 40 + years....... come on guys.....you ALL know it. Hint: Small as a Gnats A$$. or tiny as a [DELETED].....

Back to your regular programming...... arrggggg ..... ye.. mate...ies .

If you still ain't got it......... google it!@#$%$#@!:bangpan:

You're breaking up, OVER....
Message Garbled, OVER...
Try the alternate freq, OVER...
OUT

Yee gads. Is our curiosity all quite satisfied now?

How 'bout we keep the sailor talk to the sailing forum, mmmm'kay?

Well, I've got a Flis Crayon, but I haven't had a chance to build it yet. I'll get to it eventually (also have a Nanite and a Tiddlywink in the build pile they all look like fun!)

Back