Michiana Three Oaks Launch April 9th - 10th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my successful L2 cert today! Flew a 4" Madcow PAC-3 on a CTI J285. Thanks to everyone at Michiana Rocketry for a great day. Thank you Mike, John, Gary, Tom, Mr. Bob, Eric and Justin and everyone I forgot. Can't wait to see everyone again and I hope tomorrow is just as great as today!
https://youtu.be/qtzlMhMwYC0

Great onboard video! What camera was that?

lots of cameras seen. hope some gets posted soon. great weekend. Laser Loc 2.1 went over 7,000 on J270 today and I could see apogee the sky was so clear.

I blinked and lost it about 1,000 ft up. went full on old school. Single use motor and no electronics. spent a half hour looking but did not want to stay away from therolling rocket shop to long. Unfortunately no one else ran across it either.
Lots of old flashback rockets went up today. Including Eric burning up a Vulcan J250 just after my Laser Loc flight so I could not get the full enjoyment (watching my recovery).

I blinked and lost it about 1,000 ft up. went full on old school. Single use motor and no electronics. spent a half hour looking but did not want to stay away from therolling rocket shop to long. Unfortunately no one else ran across it either.
Lots of old flashback rockets went up today. Including Eric burning up a Vulcan J250 just after my Laser Loc flight so I could not get the full enjoyment (watching my recovery).

Justin flew with no electronics?!!?

Last edited:
Unbelievable weather, good company and flights! 16 flights from our crew. Home now and tired.

Took several photos; will post ASAP in the next few days.

-Eric-

We managed 4 flights today, two of mine,two of my dad's. Besides a slight repairable zipper, everything flew well. Faster buddy faster had a perfect flight that resulted in a long walk. ExPAC flew will and despite some small difficulties I was able to steer it back and land it 10ft from me. The weather was beautiful and the people were awesome.

Justin recovered his rocket.

That's good news! The land owner called me on Saturday saying mine was gone and He found Justin's in a tree and felt it would come down with a strong wind. Glad to hear he got it.

Lol… nothing short of 100 mph would have moved that rocket from that friggin’ tree. I have to say, even though I only logged one flight, I had a great time, the weather was stunning, and it was a very memorable weekend.

Coming back to Three Oaks after a nine year hiatus was really great. Memories really began to come back starting with me driving right past Avery road not noticing the “rocket launch” sign on the side of the road. I could not recall the name of the road to turn South on, bit I figured it out quick when speeding past the sign. Tripoli Michiana and crew put on a great launch and they were able to test out their new custom wireless launch console from Wilson F/X. I was there for the better part of Saturday and about 90 minutes Sunday morning (more on that later)… I took lots of video to sort through and a small number of point and click photos for ***** and grins… I'll share whatever I took that doesn't suck. :lol:

DSCN0620.jpg DSCN0621.jpg DSCN0622.jpg DSCN0624.jpg DSCN0625.jpg DSCN0626.jpg DSCN0628.jpg DSCN0630.jpg DSCN0631.jpg

One report is Justin and Eric walked by my rocket and got it out
Of the tree!! Man you guys are awesome

Indeed we did! :cheers:

For the record Nick, we kinda trashed the parachute in the process of the tree recovery. We figured a fubar chute is better than not having the rocket back.

DSCN0661.jpg DSCN0660.jpg DSCN0657.jpg DSCN0662.jpg DSCN0658.jpg DSCN0671.jpg

I flew my Punsiher 4 on a first flight with an Aerotech J-800 T. Flew great, dual deployed nominally, and landed in a really tall tree of to the West. Eric and I were not able to reach the rocket with 60’ worth of poles. Running out of options, I knew the only way to get the rocket down was to get a rope over the recovery cord and snag it and yank her out of the tree. I left Three Oaks, drove to South Bend, bought a sling shot, fishing rod/reel combo, extra fishing line, some lead sinkers, and some overnight supplies since I did not plan to stay the night originally. Long story short, I got to the rocket Sunday morning, fed some line into the reel, attached a sinker to the line, and let her rip. It took a good 8-9 shots and some detangling of line before I was I was able to get the sinker over the cord, dropped the sinker to the ground, and then attach my Kevlar lead to the fishing line. Lucking I had a climbing carabiner that I was able to tape open for my hook. I raised the Kevlar lead up over the cord, dropped it on the cord, and managed to snag the line. I was trying to finesse the rocket out of the tree, but the booster was wrapped up really well, so I needed put some gusto behind it. Once a branch or two broke, she came down without any damage!

DSCN0631.jpg DSCN0653.jpg DSCN0656.jpg DSCN0655.jpg DSCN0654.jpg DSCN0666.jpg DSCN0669.jpg DSCN0667.jpg DSCN0668.jpg DSCN0663.jpg

Last edited:
I drove down to the launch with my wife and two kids and we had a great time. My wife took some pictures, but between watching the kids and trying to stay cool we missed a bunch of good photos. We mostly launched LPRs and enjoyed watching the big rocket launches. I had two CATOs on the first day and on the second day I had a B6-4 CATO (bizarre). Most of our rockets survived and I picked up the parts to repair my Madcow Cricket from the onsite vendors. I think that was the nicest launch weather we've ever had, we actually weren't prepared for how warm it was going to be and had to go out and buy shorts after the first day!

001 (Medium).JPG 007 (Medium).JPG 012 (Medium).JPG 016 (Medium).JPG 017 (Medium).JPG 018 (Medium).jpg 019 (Medium).JPG 043 (Medium).jpg 046 (Medium).jpg 053 (Medium).JPG

This is my Madcow Cricket mid-CATO
084 (Medium).jpg

This is the first flight of our Shuttle Express. Flew it on a B6-4 and it was tipped over and pointing straight down when the ejection charge blew. Both gliders flew just about straight down at the ground, but since they are lightweight foam there was no damage, I think the next flight we'll go for a B6-2!
125 (Medium).jpg 136 (Medium).JPG

099 (Medium).JPG 101 (Medium).jpg 109 (Medium).jpg 110 (Medium).jpg 143 (Medium).JPG

A really nice guy there passed on an armful of LPRs to my kids. One of them was this Whacky Wiggler. What a cool rocket! The cord inside came apart on this launch, but I've already fixed it up and it's ready to fly again.
092 (Medium).JPG

081 (Medium).jpg 096 (Medium).JPG 097 (Medium).JPG 098 (Medium).jpg 101 (Medium).JPG 103 (Medium).jpg 109 (Medium).jpg 110 (Medium).jpg 129 (Medium).jpg

Here are my last two pictures.

A really nicely painted 2 stage LPR (not mine) :

131 (Medium).jpg

Me and the kids lined up for our last launch. I've got the flutter-by and they've got two more of their gifted rockets. My daughter's red/white one (Maple Syrup) came in ballistic unfortunately, so it needs a new body tube. She wants to fly it as a cluster next time.

161 (Medium).JPG

Big thanks to the Michiana Rocketry club for hosting such a fun event!

A really nice guy there passed on an armful of LPRs to my kids. One of them was this Whacky Wiggler. What a cool rocket! The cord inside came apart on this launch, but I've already fixed it up and it's ready to fly again.
View attachment 288513

View attachment 288512 View attachment 288514 View attachment 288515 View attachment 288516 View attachment 288517 View attachment 288518 View attachment 288519 View attachment 288520 View attachment 288521

That be me, passing out the LPR to the kids, want the kids to have some fun too. :)

Two beautiful days of weather and a whole lot of fun. Finally tally after the 2 days of fun was 258 total flight from mini motors to M's. Some pics I was able to get between Registration and RSO stuff.

851A0141.jpg851A0142.jpg851A0143.jpg851A0260.jpg851A0283.jpg851A0292.jpg851A0300.jpg851A0320.jpg851A0324.jpg

Back