MGD beer bottle rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuggles

Reaction score
Hello, I posted a few threads here about my MGD beer bottle rocket. It is 7 1/2" diameter with a height of 37''. It has a 38mm MMT in it with an adapter for 29mm motors. I am getting ready to fly her for the first time. I took it to the UPS store to have an accurate weight measurement. It weighs 4.1 lbs without the motor. I was planning on using a G80 short delay for the first flight.
What do you think, is that enough ooomph???
Mark T

Sounds a bit marginal...with a G-80 you are around 4-1 thrust to weight, the accepted minimum for safe flight is considered to be 5-1.

If there is no wind and the rod is straight you should be OK, if a bit long on the delay. For a first flight you might want to step up to a small H or G104 (assuming you are L1 certed)...

I am L1 . What would be the largest 29mm I could stick in it??
I have the 29/240 reload case.
Mark

If you have that case, it would be fine on the H180, or you could punch it with the H220 or H210. I vote H210 personally.

Heck, lots of options... H180 to H220. I'd think an H180 would be perfect. About 7-1 T/W (average, 50% more at ignition) and a 1.4 second burn. Should be fun!

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll use an H180 short delay for the first flight. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure the @#$%camera out.
I will post launch pics ASAP
Mark

I think we should all have beer bottle rockets and then when we fly them we would have a beer-blast! burp!erp!

4lbs, man that sure is light for a 3foot 7.5 inch diameter. my minnie mag is 47oz with motor. An H will do it as the others have said, where is the pic?
brian

what, prey tell, did the person at UPS say when you asked them to way this beer bottle rocket? I just have to know... ;)

Originally posted by TeenRocketNerd
what, prey tell, did the person at UPS say when you asked them to way this beer bottle rocket? I just have to know... ;)

I was thinking the same. I never tried that, but I can only imagine walking in the local post office with a large AMRAAM under my arm...:p

Another suggestion for a reload would be the H165R.

I'd stick with the H180. I know redline is the popular formula right now, but I still prefer the white lightning. Big smoke and flame just looks cooler imo.

The kid at the UPS store really didn't freak. Once I showed him that it was a rocket he thought it was cool.
Mark

Originally posted by Batman
I'd stick with the H180. I know redline is the popular formula right now, but I still prefer the white lightning. Big smoke and flame just looks cooler imo.

Oh - I agree that WL is cool. I like all of the AT propellants that I've tried (never tried W9, hope to remedy that soon :))

Originally posted by Fore Check
Keg stand, then swing test.

Ok, whatever you decide.
:D :D HAHAHA Priceless! A kegstand....ha.... *sigh*

I am toying with the idea of putting a can of MGD in the nose for ballast,and having a cold one when I recover it.
Mark

Back