Metra - Return To Flight (Pine Island)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsquared

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have been authorized by the METRA BoD to organize launches at Pine Island.

We DO NOT have our waiver back. These launches will be Class 1 (low power, model rocket-style) only. That's 125 gms of propellant, and 3.3 lbs of total weight, maximum. That's the legal limit for flights without a waiver.

These events will be flown as Tripoli commercial launch. No EX. Tripoli commercial rules & insurance will be in effect.

You do not need to be a METRA member to fly, but you should be an NAR or TRIPOLI member.

Although in theory we can fly EX at a class 1 event, I really don't think it's realistic. A class 1 launch will accomodate over half of our normal flight activity.

CTRA recently cancelled its June launch schedule due to crops being planted on their field. They had launches scheduled for June 1 and June 15. I would like to see if we can pull off a June 1 launch at Pine Island, and I'd like to invite anyone that was going to go to CTRA to come on down.

Hangar 11 will make a donation to the launch, and AMW will be on site. I don't know if we can get Lloyd to vend food.

This event will be Saturday only. There will be a suggested donation/flight fee of $10 bucks. Since we're not collecting dues or flight fees at this time, we, the members of the board are very keen on husbanding our resources. We don't want these launches to be a burden on the club and its finances. We don't want to be at the field and have nobody show up. To make this work I'm going to need 25 RSVP's. That will cover our fees to the landowner and the porta-potty. I have every intention of running raffles and soliciting donations to make sure we cover this nut and this thing is a success!

I want this to be the first of many well attended and fun lauches at Pine Island. I/we've lost enough of my/our flying season.

Anybody interested? Let me know quick. The METRA board is meeting Wednesday night to discuss this and I'd like to have a green light for you all immediately afterwards.

Thank you for your support. Let's fly!

Well this is certainly good news! Hope you do get the waiver back for HP flights as well. I really like the METRA field!

I have work on the 1st and 15th. If you could change the dates to June 8 and 22nd I will be there!

Last edited:
Well this is certainly good news! Hope you do get the waiver back for HP flights as well. I really like the METRA field!

I have work on the 1st and 15th. If you could change the dates to June 8 and 22nd I will be there!

We are not flying this weekend (6/1/2013). The field is not available. I don't have an alternate date yet. Stay tuned.

Thank you for your interest.

George N. George
TRA 129
NAR 24025
METRA BoD

We are not flying this weekend (6/1/2013). The field is not available. I don't have an alternate date yet. Stay tuned.

Thank you for your interest.

George N. George
TRA 129
NAR 24025
METRA BoD

Thanks for trying! Keep us updated as you can.

Latest posts

Back