MESS Report?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgroupmike

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an Estes A8-3 blow the pod off my Edmonds Ci Ci glider with the ejection charge. I noticed as I built the rocket that the hole in the pod was mostly blocked by the nose cone shoulder, but I figured it was the design. What do y'all think?

I just looked at mine and it's covered a 1/3rd of the way.

I don't know if yours came with a "loose fitting" MMT tube/pod, but the motor will fall out unless you put a small piece of tape to hold it in place. Did you happen to tape the motor down? I usually just use a tiny piece of 1/8" masking tape just to keep it there until the motor pushes itself and the rocket up.

Maybe it was taped on too tightly?

The hole in mine is about 2/3 covered, and I did have to tape the motor to hold it in during launch. Fortunately, the break was very repairable, and I'll have the chance to try again. Should I open the hole a bit?

I don't have the e-mail handy, but Rob Edmonds told me in May or so of this year that the hole is supposed to be partially covered. I don't remember how much of it should be obscured.

Hmmm, I figured the partial obsrtuction of the hole was planned, but maybe I should email Rob. I do recall the ejection charge sounded louder than normal, but I also know that when an explosion is contained, it seems more powerful. I only used as much tape as needed to just barely keep the motor in for launch...

Back