MDRA Jan 14/15 Launch:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Road Kill Cafe going to be there? The web site does not spell it out in simple enough terms for my pea-brain.

Just want to know if I need to bring a sandwich.

Is the Road Kill Cafe going to be there? The web site does not spell it out in simple enough terms for my pea-brain.

Tommy usually cooks at all the launches at Higgs property.

I'll see you Saturday, can't stay for Sunday.
Tom

Hoping my Power Perch shows up before the launch. I have had all kinds of soldering issues trying to get the Raven wired in my Competitor 5, this should fix that.

Still planning to fly the Competitor on the big White motor, and my 54mm MD rocket on some obscene motor for an East Coast launch... Should be a good time, hope the temp is at least in the 40's.

I'll be there both days as well with George K. and Patrick M.

Nothing crazy for me either, Weather permitting:

• Formula 75 - I175WH
  • Shape Shifter - I242WH
  • 4" HELLFIRE - K940WT
  • Gizmo XL - L640DT

Still planning to fly the Competitor on the big White motor, and my 54mm MD rocket on some obscene motor for an East Coast launch... Should be a good time, hope the temp is at least in the 40's.

Don't worry, I'm sure you won't need to walk far to pick up the pieces of either.

I was going to come out but I am waiting on a flight approval. I can't wait to get back to the East Coast for a launch.

Confirmed... Road Kill Cafe will be there. Bring your appetite.

I'll be there both days as well with George K.

Unfortunately, my ex's parents were in a motor vehicle accident the other day and her father is in critical condition. He suffered a torn aorta and multiple broken limbs and trauma. It's a miracle he didn't die. He is under constant care and his status is hour to hour.

As such, I will be home this weekend with the kids while my ex tends to her parents.

Wish I could be there.

Hopefully in February.

I assume Tommy doesn't do the chicken though correct????

Usually he does the chicken at the Red Glare launches, ... so I wouldn't count on it.

But if you run over one on the way out..... :y:

Well it looks like we will be driving down in the morning. We will see how long we last since I have my 4 year old this weekend and I am not sure how she is going to fair with the attention span and cold.

Hope that Ken will be there as I am going to need to get a 29mm H to hopefully do my Level 1 in the morning.

It will be windy as the prediction calls for 10-15 with gusts up to 25 mph.
Sunday seems a bit nicer.

JD

Well it looks like we will be driving down in the morning. We will see how long we last since I have my 4 year old this weekend and I am not sure how she is going to fair with the attention span and cold.

Hope that Ken will be there as I am going to need to get a 29mm H to hopefully do my Level 1 in the morning.

Great to meet you,, your daughter is a cutie,, she kept my girls occupied as they didn't want to chase their rockets with the wind like it was,, Congrats on your L1.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Also, thanks again to you and your family for helping keep an eye on Samantha while I searched for it post-flight.

Here are some pics. The full album is available here: https://picasaweb.google.com/113977174482920081377/MDRA14JAN2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink As always, image reuse is granted to those flying, MDRA, and those vendors in attendance.

Gary's GizmoXL
_MG_4509.JPG

My Lil Crayon post-flight (plastic chutes didn't want to inflate in the cold) Also notice the missing motor. Used masking tape to retain (and it help to deploy) by it was missing upon landing.
_MG_4514.JPG

_MG_4524.JPG

Camo rockets + cornfield = Was this ever found? I know it was still being searched for when I was out looking for mine.
_MG_4543.JPG

My L1 Cert flight on a H133 BS
_MG_4549.JPG

_MG_4551.JPG

_MG_4553.JPG

A Jr L2 Attempt
_MG_4608.JPG

A very Merry Christmas, MDRA style
_MG_4565.JPG

_MG_4571.JPG

_MG_4596.JPG

_MG_4632.JPG

_MG_4640.JPG

Our pleasure,, if you need someone in the future,, look us up. Maggy and Jessika had a ball with her! Better than dragging her through fields!!

Here is a pad cam video of THarrison's Outer Limits flying on a Red motor:

[YOUTUBE]7znIaLqfksY[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the other video that I shot: an unknown N motor in an Ultimate Wildman flown right after THarrison's. Please let me know who this rocket belongs to and flight specifics, if possible!

[YOUTUBE]cAo6IYfj2fY[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the other video that I shot: an unknown N motor in an Ultimate Wildman flown right after THarrison's. Please let me know who this rocket belongs to and flight specifics, if possible!

Good looking vids.

I want to thank whoever found the gold and red Pac-3 style rocket on saturday. I lost it in november, and in retrospect, it seems that a dead corn stalk color paint isn't a good choice when the primary flight field is used to grow corn.

Thanks again. I owe you a beverage.

Sam

Disaster Guy - Pictures 2-6 in that gallery are of my Competitor 5 on a 5000ns L1725 White. Great pictures!

Dan:
That was Bill Zimmer's successful L3 flight on a CTI M1670BS

The Camo rocket was mine..... Its actually a woodgrain finish more up close. I get that its hard to see in the corn. I flown it a few times at higgs with good results, usually it does not go that high, and I can keep my eye on it. This time it drifted dead sideways out of sight. Its just a cheap scratchbuilt rocket with SU engines in it, not a big loss, but I do hate to lose anything.

I found the gold rocket while I was looking for the camo rocket.

All in all I had a good weekend. Got my level 2 today (Sunday)

Video from my Formula 75 on board camera, Anyone get a shot of its take off?

[YOUTUBE]0VoKG6hesGI?hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Another fun MDRA launch. I had three flights, which is one less than planned, but still not bad. The weather on Saturday was cold and windy. That didn't stop a lot of people from flying big stuff. We had two L3 certs, as well as a few big Ls and Ks.

First up for me was my G3 on a J500G to about 3,200'. That was a very nice motor with a beautiful green flame. I'll have to get a few more of those. Next was my Extreme Darkstar on a CTI K1440WT. That was one heck of a boost! It flew to about 6,600' and drifted pretty far in the wind. I lost GPS lock on it, so I had to look for it the old fashioned way. I was just about to give up, when I literally almost stepped on it. :rolleyes:

The weather conditions for Sunday were supposed to be better with temperatures forecasted in the mid-40s, but it stubbornly stuck right around 30-32 with plenty of wind to cut through several layers of clothing. The wind, and my distrust of my GPS system made my decision to fly low easy. I almost didn't fly anything, but after poking around in Rob Dehate's trailer, I picked up a CTI K515SK for the Extreme Darkstar. This was an interesting flight. The up part was great, as was the first half of the down part. At main deployment, the shroud lines got tangled, and my parachute turned into an oversized streamer. The rocket came down pretty hard, but there was no apparent damage to the rocket. I will have to check out the Raven altimeter though. If the beeps were to be believed, my 20lb rocket flew over 65,000ft on a baby K motor. I have reason to doubt that data. ;)

I got pretty lucky with the landing of that one. The booster stuck into the ground less than an inch from the water in an irrigation ditch. :eyepop:

6683e484.jpg

Sadly, no launch pictures from this weekend. Turns out my memory card works much better in my camera than on my desk at home! :D

I only took a few pics this weekend because I really hated to take off my gloves... The first few are patelldp's Competitor 5 on a 75mm white load and the next ones are my Outer Limits on a bigass red load. I did finally get mine back after a long hike. :cool:

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

Another fun MDRA launch. I had three flights, which is one less than planned, but still not bad. The weather on Saturday was cold and windy. That didn't stop a lot of people from flying big stuff. We had two L3 certs, as well as a few big Ls and Ks.

First up for me was my G3 on a J500G to about 3,200'. That was a very nice motor with a beautiful green flame. I'll have to get a few more of those. Next was my Extreme Darkstar on a CTI K1440WT. That was one heck of a boost! It flew to about 6,600' and drifted pretty far in the wind. I lost GPS lock on it, so I had to look for it the old fashioned way. I was just about to give up, when I literally almost stepped on it. :rolleyes:

The weather conditions for Sunday were supposed to be better with temperatures forecasted in the mid-40s, but it stubbornly stuck right around 30-32 with plenty of wind to cut through several layers of clothing. The wind, and my distrust of my GPS system made my decision to fly low easy. I almost didn't fly anything, but after poking around in Rob Dehate's trailer, I picked up a CTI K515SK for the Extreme Darkstar. This was an interesting flight. The up part was great, as was the first half of the down part. At main deployment, the shroud lines got tangled, and my parachute turned into an oversized streamer. The rocket came down pretty hard, but there was no apparent damage to the rocket. I will have to check out the Raven altimeter though. If the beeps were to be believed, my 20lb rocket flew over 65,000ft on a baby K motor. I have reason to doubt that data. ;)

I got pretty lucky with the landing of that one. The booster stuck into the ground less than an inch from the water in an irrigation ditch. :eyepop:

6683e484.jpg

Sadly, no launch pictures from this weekend. Turns out my memory card works much better in my camera than on my desk at home! :D

What were you using for your GPS tracking?

Back