Masters of the Air

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would like to see it but can’t stand the thought of another subscription service.

All the kids these days are constantly subscribing and unsubscribing to the various streaming services. It's a racket.

My wife plays the subscription game and just renewed AppleTV. I will watch the series.

All the kids these days are constantly subscribing and unsubscribing to the various streaming services. It's a racket.

My wife plays the subscription game and just renewed AppleTV. I will watch the series.
Let us know what you think of it.

I thought MotA was pretty good so far; not quite a BoB, but it could go somewhere. The CGI is darn near perfect. 25 or 30 years ago B-17s were flying over here all the time, on bombing runs from the Interagency Fire Center in Boise. Sadly replaced by C-130s (which are pretty cool too).

I rotate subscriptions all the time. It's pretty easy to do so I rarely have multiple subscriptions stacked. Apple seems to have quite a bit of content I like so I might have to try it sometime. oops.

I watched 4 episodes. OK, the CGI is good, but the story line is boring. Annoying to me is the fact that most scenes are very dark (as in lighting, not theme). I can't see.

These series are getting worse:

Band of Brothers = Awesome
The Pacific = OK
Masters of the Air = Bad

The first two series relied on real veteran accounts. This series had no veterans to talk to.

Some internet site noted that Masters of the Air is one of the most abandoned series by viewers. I believe it.

Last edited:
I watched 4 episodes. OK, the CGI is good, but the story line is boring. Annoying to me is the fact that most scenes are very dark (as in lighting, not theme). I can't see.

These series are getting worse:

Band of Brothers = Awesome
The Pacific = OK
Masters of the Air = Bad

The first two series relied on real veteran accounts. This series had no veterans to talk to.

Some internet site noted that Masters of the Air is one of the most abandoned series by viewers. I believe it.
Glad I didn’t get sucked into another subscription service in order to watch it.

The book of the same name by Don Miller is very good. I’m enjoying the show. B-17s are bad-a$$ ! :)

My Dad flew in a B-17 in the war and he was in the back of the airplane. I don't know whether it was a rear navigator or what he did, but they said when he got off of it back here in the states, that he told his buddy "I'll never step foot in another airplane again" so I don't know what happened to him. But he never flew again.

@Hobie1dog I hope it goes without saying that I think your dad was a hero. The fact that the US Army really believed the B-17 was a "flying fortress" that could operate effectively without fighter cover over northern Europe was a tragedy that cost alot of lives. That said, despite its fitness for the purpose, I think it's a beautiful machine. As someone who, unfortunately, can get seasick in a bathtub I hold up the pilots and crew of any aircraft, especially combat planes, as superheroes.

I feel like the level of CGI is consistent and necessary for the scope of this story. Band of Brothers followed one infantry company through some very familiar territory (D-Day, the Bulge). I think it was easier for the writers to get personal quickly and at the same time cover more of their time together. For me, the one thing that BoB has that they can't do now is the little monologue from one of the GUYS before each episode.

Episode 6 was outstanding with all the action on the ground. Not one B-17 in sight until the end when one pilot wills himself back into his plane for the next mission. Must see TV.

I have t agree with Fred. This is a must see series especially for history buffs. It has made me look up some of the characters to see what they did in real life. Some amazing folks and some tragic lives.

I really need to get caught back up. Finished the first two episodes and haven't had the opportunity to see the rest. It's not up to Band of Brothers, but was definitely impressed.

I really need to get caught back up. Finished the first two episodes and haven't had the opportunity to see the rest. It's not up to Band of Brothers, but was definitely impressed.
Not many are up to the standard of the 101st and Band of Brothers.

Some photos of the B-17 I am working on. The ball turret has been in the lobby for years and I never worked on it, but it seems to fascinate people so here are a few photos of it.

The first photo is the back of the ball turret. Turn the red handles and the door opens.

I opened the door for the second photo. It's hard to see, but the seat is directly below the round window. The seat back is just in front of the open door. You see part of the left machine gun in the upper left. There is another one on the other side. When you are in the ball turret the chambers of those guns are literally inches away from your head on both sides. You would be wearing hearing protection and be hooked into an intercom, but it would be rather loud when those guns went off.

The third and fourth photos give you an idea how solid this thing is. The information we have shows the ball turret as having the lowest mortality rate of all the crew positions on the plane. The ball turret is cast aluminum and quite thick. It's also round, so it would have a good chance of deflecting bullets that hit at an angle. Of course, anything hitting the plexiglass is not going to be stopped.

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_083213369_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240214_083213369_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240214_083238619.jpg
    IMG_20240214_083238619.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240214_083315863_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240214_083315863_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240214_083328122.jpg
    IMG_20240214_083328122.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Starboard wing

Two photos from the second floor storage area/

Some of our bombs.

Attachments

• 20200630_111212.jpg
    20200630_111212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200630_111348.jpg
    20200630_111348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200630_111350.jpg
    20200630_111350.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200630_112136.jpg
    20200630_112136.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is how we make parts when we have an original to use for a pattern. This is part of a turbocharger inlet scoop and diverter (not sure what its actually called). This is stainless steel and incredibly difficult to work with.

We fill in holes with Bondo to get it as smooth as possible. Then we put plastic food wrap on top of it and then cover that with masking tape. The tape is laid across the plastic in at least two directions to make it stiff. Mark the edges and cut it to fit and you now have a 2-D pattern of a 3-D part. Put that on a flat piece of aluminum or steel and trace it.

We start cutting it out by using a step drill for any sharp corners that would be impossible to cut with shears. Then we use hand shears to cut out the rest. Then the real fun starts. Basically, we make a resin female mold and pound the steel into it with nylon hammers. More on that later if people want to see it.

Attachments

• 20201230_092124.jpg
    20201230_092124.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201230_092131.jpg
    20201230_092131.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201230_092214.jpg
    20201230_092214.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201230_093153.jpg
    20201230_093153.jpg