Masking tape is masking tape right?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did two masking jobs recently. One with a generic 1/4" masking tape from an online vendor and the other was 1/4" Tamiya masking tape.
Generic:
0812200609[1].jpg

Tamiya:
0812200611[1].jpg

The Tamiya tape is about twice as expensive as the generic.
Just in case you all were thinking about "saving money" by buying the generic tape.

I've learned my lesson with regular masking tape: never use masking tape to mask a rocket.

My go to product is Frog Tape for the edge, and a garbage bag, taped to the Frog Tape with regular masking tape, for the bulk. Tamiya works well when space is an issue.

Watch out for Frog Tape! I tried it on a rocket and the tape partially dissolved into a sticky mess. I think the paint was a lacquer but I don't recall the brand...it wasn't Rustoleum, Krylon, or any of the common ones. Thank goodness it was in a place where it didn't matter.

I've found that I get a better edge by laying a strip of blue tape on the cutting board, and slicing off a few millimeters from one edge. I also spray the taped edge with the base coat so that if there is any leakage it won't be noticeable.

3M fine line tape. I like the blue over the green as it stretches better. The only thing I use regular masking tape for is the paper.

I use the Tamiya yellow for all my edges, and then fill in the large areas with either cheap blue tape or plastic bags or mail flyers or whatever.

I also have the Tamiya tape for curves (flexible white stuff) for special applications. Works well once you get the hang of it.

I've found that I get a better edge by laying a strip of blue tape on the cutting board, and slicing off a few millimeters from one edge. I also spray the taped edge with the base coat so that if there is any leakage it won't be noticeable.

Sage advice. I've had good results too by cutting a fresh edge on Scotch blue tape.

But.. use regular masking tape over the blue tape for masking purposes. Blue tape on Blue tape doesn't stick well at all.

005.JPG002.JPG004.JPG

Back