Mars Lander history

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13

Reaction score
I just finished reading LAUNCH, and I am very impressed- a great magazine! Anyway, with the articles on the history of model rockets I got to thinking. What is the history of the Mars lander, who designed it? Was it designed by Martin Marietta as folklore has it? Why was it discontinued? Were the embossing dies destroyed? How popular was it? It seems most BARs had one at one time or another.

I figured that this was the place to find out the answeres, Maybe even Rougepink has some insight.

Thanks
Mark

Who ever was responsible for the design at Estes, I’d bet they got the idea from one of the artist’s concepts of the original Lunar Lander.
Before NASA decided on the Lunar Orbit Rendezvous scenario, they considered using a lander that carried enough fuel to return to earth (or earth orbit).
Estes probably didn’t name it the Lunar Lander because everyone was familiar with the LEM (unless you were living in a cave in 1969…)

Apollo_Direct_Ascent.png

Originally posted by mach7
...... What is the history of the Mars lander, ..... How popular was it? It seems most BARs had one at one time or another.....

Thanks
Mark

Yes, as a BAR I did indeed have one. I flew mine from Feb 12, 1970 to Feb 28, 1971.

It didn't crash..and my memory cells are too old now...so what happened to it...don't know. Most likely, I had young nephews around who probably "played" with it????

I loved it..and now that I am back into the hooby, someday I'd like to get a clone....just too busy with my scale stuff right now..

Not sure about the history of the Estes Mars Lander, but I bought
mine in 1970, built it very well, and, well, I still have it today (still
on active flight status!)...

Will maybe retire it (finally) once I get my Estes Outlander (which
I got from Hobby Lobby recently on marked down price) built and
soon purchase a new Mars Lander from SEMROC.

Back