Problem with Semroc Mars Lander

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeslaPenguin1

Director of the renowned Penguin Space Program
Reaction score
Recently, I have been building the Semroc Mars Lander. It's a well-designed kit (well, reproduction of a kit) and most of it makes sense. However, I've arrived at a step that I'm having a lot of trouble with, and nobody else seems to be having this problem.

The step that is giving me trouble is the one where you make the hinges by putting a small bearing into a length of flexible tube. I'm having trouble getting the bearing to the middle of the tube, as I can't really push it past the start.

If anyone has a specific strategy for this step, please let me know.

Either work it to the middle by squeezing the short end of the tube progressively between thumb and forefinger or get a metal rod like on a jeweler's screwdriver and gently push it in to the middle.
0621211524a[1].jpg0621211541[1].jpg0621211541a[1].jpg

I was curious, and I had a Semroc ML in the build pile so I took a look.

Last edited:
Yup, kuririn's suggestion is what I used.

I think I tried with a spare section of dowel also, with limited success.

Would it be workable to put a tiny amount of some lubricant, say silicone(?) in the tube before inserting the bearing into the tube? Then use something inserted into the tube to remove as much lubricant as possible when the bearing is in where you want it.

Dip the tube in very warm/hot water for about 30 second to a minute. This will slightly soften the tube and allow you to push the bearing into place by either using the method kuririn suggested or with a dowel. Once the tube cools it will regain it's stiffness. It is a tricky process to get the bearing in there.
You can use the same method to get the tube onto the leg dowels.

Last edited:
Would it be workable to put a tiny amount of some lubricant, say silicone(?) in the tube before inserting the bearing into the tube? Then use something inserted into the tube to remove as much lubricant as possible when the bearing is in where you want it.

I can't remember if the tube is silicone or vinyl, but using lubricants could dissolve the material that is used for the joint.

Back