Marco Polo-saves the day....and added some fun too!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hey all-

I know I already posted a thread some time ago about the Marco Polo Tracker. This one is slightly different as I wanted to share some recovery stories with this unit and encourage others to do the same with theirs AND with other trackers as well!

Before the comments about walking in crops come rolling in...It has to be noted and remembered that the land-owner does NOT mind if we go into his corn or beans if we stay within the rows and we are careful...which we all are.

The launch this weekend saw many (all of my flights) going into the corn, which was high...like 7-8 feet high. There were 4-5 people using and lending out the Marco Polo Tracker and it worked great. I noticed tracking a rocket was kind of fun. Meaning, it added a new dimension to the launch.

I will say that at times in the corn only, the signal from the tag was getting bounced around a bit. We think this was due to the high corn. But all one had to do was keep walking and it corrected itself and lead us right to our rockets. On my third fight I saw my receiver said I was "on top of it" but I could not see it at all (the corn was thick). I continued walking a few feet and then the arrow on the receiver flipped the other direction. I turned around and retraced my steps....and there it was. I guess I walked right past it. It was at that point I thought to share this experience with my friends and on the forums. I guess you say it was a fun time for me and that is when it became "fun to track". I have included some photos below.

There are many good trackers out there. But I will tell you, this little unit really got stress tested at this weekends launch by me and a number of others as about 80% of the recoveries went into the corn. 100% of the people who had the MP tracker got their projects back.

From my L3 flight that never lost its signal to 8970 feet and landed almost a mile away to thick corn and soy fields, this little tracker is sure has added some fun to this hobby.

I just wanted to share in the fun. Photos below!

3-Banger.jpg

In the corn.jpg

In the corn-2.jpg

MP saves the day.jpg

Nice report.

The corn at our launch yesterday is also 7-8 feet tall.

I was using a homebrew 2m (147MHz) RF beacon and a handy talky for RFD. A few times also got poor bearings like you did, but walk a bit more a new bearing pointed to rocket.
That corn hides rockets very well and one rocket could not be seen approaching, walked past it, 2 feet away. but saw it once I turned around.
Did find all my rockets so good day flying.

Another testimony to the efficacy of the MP Tracker! I watched Andrew’s MP at work and really, really wished I had one on my hard-luck Stretch Leviathan yesterday. First flight since last month’s crash damage was repaired and the ejection charge failed, the nose cone - somehow! - separated from the rest of the rocket and sailed into the corn along with my screamer and JLCR! I spent most of the rest of my time at the launch searching with zero luck - the screamer was totally ineffective once everything disappeared below corn-top level. Luckily it was found after I left for the day - I had family coming to visit and help load some heavier stuff into the moving container so I couldn’t stay any longer.

I get that there’re people who think the Marco Polo isn’t all that - if I was launching rockets over a high desert in the Western US and needed to track one over miles and miles after a flight to 15k feet then the MP probably isn’t the best choice. But at our field, with acres of standing crops, patches of dense woodland, and thick brush to deal with it’s very effective.

Oh, if you’re curious, the Stretch will live again! Only the upper body tube was destroyed by it’s core sample landing - the av bay and booster survived fine - when I get the nose cone back I’ll replace the crunched tube and try again for a successful flight 😉

Nice report.

The corn at our launch yesterday is also 7-8 feet tall.

I was using a homebrew 2m (147MHz) RF beacon and a handy talky for RFD. A few times also got poor bearings like you did, but walk a bit more a new bearing pointed to rocket.
That corn hides rockets very well and one rocket could not be seen approaching, walked past it, 2 feet away. but saw it once I turned around.
Did find all my rockets so good day flying.

Wow, I am glad you had a good day as well. I wonder if the directional thing is a function of the corn or the orientation of the tag antenna. Either way, it still works and made for a fun day. I am also glad you got all your projects back.

Thanks and have a good day.

Andrew

Another testimony to the efficacy of the MP Tracker! I watched Andrew’s MP at work and really, really wished I had one on my hard-luck Stretch Leviathan yesterday. First flight since last month’s crash damage was repaired and the ejection charge failed, the nose cone - somehow! - separated from the rest of the rocket and sailed into the corn along with my screamer and JLCR! I spent most of the rest of my time at the launch searching with zero luck - the screamer was totally ineffective once everything disappeared below corn-top level. Luckily it was found after I left for the day - I had family coming to visit and help load some heavier stuff into the moving container so I couldn’t stay any longer.

I get that there’re people who think the Marco Polo isn’t all that - if I was launching rockets over a high desert in the Western US and needed to track one over miles and miles after a flight to 15k feet then the MP probably isn’t the best choice. But at our field, with acres of standing crops, patches of dense woodland, and thick brush to deal with it’s very effective.

Oh, if you’re curious, the Stretch will live again! Only the upper body tube was destroyed by it’s core sample landing - the av bay and booster survived fine - when I get the nose cone back I’ll replace the crunched tube and try again for a successful flight 😉

Scott-
Thanks for your reply. I am glad you got everything back. Remember that we are always willing to loan out a tracker. I have two tags. I have little holders that seal them up. The holder is then attached to the shock cord. Come find me at the next launch! I am more than happy to loan out a tag. As you know, the corn will still be there!!

Peace-
Andrew

Scott-
Thanks for your reply. I am glad you got everything back. Remember that we are always willing to loan out a tracker. I have two tags. I have little holders that seal them up. The holder is then attached to the shock cord. Come find me at the next launch! I am more than happy to loan out a tag. As you know, the corn will still be there!!

Peace-
Andrew
Thanks Andrew - I think my Leviathan was the first launch of the day, right after Chris phoned in the waiver - but until I decide which way i’m going on a tracker I’ll definitely take you up on that offer of a loan! You rock 😉

I flew an eggfinder mini this weekend. I didn't need it - from 1700', recovery was between the B Pads and the Away Cell. (THAT doesn't happen very often!). When I picked up my Recruit, I saw that it had lost the tracker. I was experimenting with a new printed, thread-into-nosecone design, and was only a little surprised. So I went back to the car and got the receiver (with internal GPS to do the range/bearing calc) - I don't like listening to the beeping during launch. I checked that the Range Was Clear before heading out - but as I walked out, I saw that the range number was going up. So I turned around and let the receiver guide me to where the Tx -really- was. Still sitting in my trunk. I had forgotten to put it into the rocket after it got a fix.

I have little holders that seal them up. The holder is then attached to the shock cord.

Do you have any pics of these holders? I was thinking of how much I use the JLCR because it can be used in any decent sized rocket, no avbay required. To be able to do the same with the MP would be nice.

Do you have any pics of these holders? I was thinking of how much I use the JLCR because it can be used in any decent sized rocket, no avbay required. To be able to do the same with the MP would be nice.

Hello Dugway-

There many ways you can do this. You can simply take a 29mm motor tube and find some way to seal the ends and tape it to the shock cord. I have even used a 50ml centrifuge tube. It works great as it has a screw on cap. Anything you can think of to put it in that is small and keeps the tag from the ejections gasses. I also wrap my tag in a thin piece of foam or bubble wrap to keep it from sliding and protect from any impact.

I also purchased two 9V battery holders from Mac Performance Rocketry. They are 3D printed. The Marco Polo tag fits PERFECTLY in these holders with a little piece of thin foam. All you have to do it drill a tiny (2.56 bit) hole in the battery box lid so you can thread the antenna through it when you seal it up. After that....all you do is use electrical tape to firmly attache to the shock cord. I put mine about a foot above or below the chute.

Easy Breezy

Hope this helps!
Andrew

I flew an eggfinder mini this weekend. I didn't need it - from 1700', recovery was between the B Pads and the Away Cell. (THAT doesn't happen very often!). When I picked up my Recruit, I saw that it had lost the tracker. I was experimenting with a new printed, thread-into-nosecone design, and was only a little surprised. So I went back to the car and got the receiver (with internal GPS to do the range/bearing calc) - I don't like listening to the beeping during launch. I checked that the Range Was Clear before heading out - but as I walked out, I saw that the range number was going up. So I turned around and let the receiver guide me to where the Tx -really- was. Still sitting in my trunk. I had forgotten to put it into the rocket after it got a fix.

THAT is funny! I am glad everything worked out! One time (a LONG time ago) I forgot to put a chute in a small model rocket. The ejection event happened and I was like "Where is my chute? It was sitting on the prep table!
DO!
Andrew

The FS Mini also helps. If your phone connects to the BT, then you're probably within 20 feet of it.

I got fooled a couple of weeks back by trying to use the Proton WiFi to help located a missing Nike Smoke.

My phone was picking up the Proton from
over 500’ away. I would never believed that kind of distance from a grounded Eggfinder.

Saturday, we used a $15 ViFly Beacon (self contained and self powered lost drone beeper) on a Mach1 Razer-50. If not for the 105+db beeper, would not of even looked for a 1" dia 20" long rocket in a 100 acre corn field.

We did have a good line on direction. So my son (his rocket) and I went for a walk. When stopped and listening, we could hear it about 150-200 feet away. It was actually hanging in a small opening, which may have helped sound travel.
20210811_113547.jpg 20210807_152529.jpg

Edit: Here is website. Program is not optimized for rocket use. But works well enough. It's loud and will flash LED if in a dark area, or at night.
https://www.viflydrone.com/viflybeacon.html

Last edited:
Back