Makerbeam Rail Guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateB

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a source for surface mount rail guides that fit the 10mm Makerbeam? I have a few packs of the micro rail buttons from rail-buttons.com, but I am struggling to keep them on an 18mm MD rocket. I know l could use a lug, but I like the small rail for a few of my larger LP Mach 1 kits better than a rod.

Evergreen plastics makes a scale H column ( I-beam) that will work, dont remember which size, cut to whatever length you desire. Generally available at most hobby shops that have a section for model railroads and dioramas.

Evergreen plastics makes a scale H column ( I-beam) that will work, dont remember which size, cut to whatever length you desire. Generally available at most hobby shops that have a section for model railroads and dioramas.

That sounds perfect, thanks!

You this work. It might take a little sanding or wear to make it slide well.

Never mind then. (The Makerbeam was described as 10 millimeter, so...)

1010 rail is one inch by one inch. They also make 1515, which is 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches with a larger slot. Also you can get rails with multiple slots. I have a 1020 rail which is 1 inch wide by 2 inches deep. The extra depth makes it stiffer in that axis.

1010 rail is one inch by one inch. They also make 1515, which is 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches with a larger slot. Also you can get rails with multiple slots. I have a 1020 rail which is 1 inch wide by 2 inches deep. The extra depth makes it stiffer in that axis.
80/20 Inc also makes a 20mm rail which is commonly referred to as a Mini Rail, the Makerbeam 10mm rail is referred to as Micro Rail and railbuttons.com carries all 4 sizes of rail buttons. 1010 is pretty much the Standard Rail for rocketry.

80/20 Inc also makes a 20mm rail which is commonly referred to as a Mini Rail, the Makerbeam 10mm rail is referred to as Micro Rail and railbuttons.com carries all 4 sizes of rail buttons. 1010 is pretty much the Standard Rail for rocketry.

They also make a metric rail that’s 25 mm x 25 mm which is compatible with 1010 buttons.

Plus Makerbeam XL, Openbeam, and Nanobeam.
I see an opportunity for someone who can 3D print conformal rail guides for the smaller rails. Especially for the MD rockets.
Maybe even fly away rail guides. Especially with Mach One supplying mini rail buttons with their popular LPR kits now, there seems to be a renewed interest in the smaller beams.

It took me a while to find the websize showing the sizing, and my LHS was practically picked clean of any Evergreen stuff. I even brought my rail in. They're all nitro guys so they had no idea what I wanted and wasn't even worth asking. Here's the link:

Evergreen Scale Models H-Beam

I'm ordering some 1/4" with the hopes that it will work on a MINI Rail. It's for my Maniac rebuild and Enerjet 1340 clone. It uses ST sizing, not BT sizing and I built the Enerjet as true to the original as I could, meaning a 29mm MMT so I have no room for buttons. Even if someone made 3D conformal buttons for Mini Rail, I doubt they'd have ST sizes unless Randy makes them. I think the Mini Rail is perfect for my 24mm composite flights, and I like not having rod whip no matter what the motor.

I'll report back if the Evergreen H sizing works!

Do you have [access to] a 3D printer? I have found that I can 3D print launch lugs as well as buttons -- with a bit of creative design (need to print to take advantage of x-y strength). I also printed some support / base plates for small nylon screws (which is basically what you buy from railbuttons).

1630975949815.png

I finally got a chance to launch a couple of rockets from the makerbeam this weekend so have confidence in how these work. I only used the lugs this weekend. I was afraid of drag but I did not notice much or any. I also made some adapters to let me attach traditional cylinder lugs to a makerbeam lug so I could launch from standard rod as well.

This is a good design to start from: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2082034

I 3D print them also. I do most long guides and not buttons. They do not create a of drag and give a large surface for adhsion.

Back