Majestic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee55

Reaction score
Question... I ordered the Estes Majestic, so how high will this thing go on a D12-5? Or how high on a C11-3? Both D & C with adapter I have.

Majestic or Magician?

Majestic is 29mm which can be adapted down to 24mm. The Magician is 24mm and can be adapted down to 18mm.

Majestic can fly on some 24mm motors but the D12 is marginal. It would be barely stable flying from a 6ft 1/4" rod. The E12-4 would work but the C11 would not work at all. Too slow to get stable, only reaching 90ft and needs a 2sec delay

Majestic can fly on some 24mm motors but the D12 is marginal. It would be barely stable flying from a 6ft 1/4" rod. The E12-4 would work but the C11 would not work at all. Too slow to get stable, only reaching 90ft and needs a 2sec delay
+1 what he said, totally unsafe.

I recommend a Quest D22 goes around 500 feet and looks fantastic. Would not recommend on a C motor.

Attachments

• 81A5952A-001D-4258-A7FF-2116840DC855.jpeg
    81A5952A-001D-4258-A7FF-2116840DC855.jpeg
    967.5 KB · Views: 0
This was very stable too, even when launched with high wind. The delay was perfect. Launched on a 3 foot 1/4 inch rod. Here’s a video:

Attachments

• IMG_0666.MOV
    18.2 MB
I sincerely apologize if I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but...

... you really need to be able to answer this question for yourself, and not ask the forum for every single rocket you buy. Motor selection is an essential part of this hobby, especially once you're in mid-power territory. There are free, easy-to-use tools to help you figure this out. Either install OpenRocket or just go to thrustcurve.org and learn how to use it.

There is an infinite supply of assistance available here to help you get the hang of it; and then once you do you'll have the ability and confidence to choose motors that will be safe and accomplish your goals.

There is nothing wrong with asking things on the forum or discussing whatever, but in this case it shouldn't be a substitute for learning something that is very fundamental to flying rockets.

Carry on.

Question... I ordered the Estes Majestic, so how high will this thing go on a D12-5? Or how high on a C11-3? Both D & C with adapter I have.

Dee,

This comes down to total weight of your rocket. How you build it can make a huge difference in performance. If you build it with CA you can drop weight off the rocket where as building it with epoxy will weigh a little more. Of course I recommend using epoxy for the Majestic. I recommend that you get yourself a cheap food scale off amazon. You can get a nice one for around $15. I'm happy to run the simulations for you but I need the actual weight for it to be useful.

If you build the Majestic stock it is too heavy for the C11 motor. If launched off a 6 foot 1/4" rod you will have just enough speed off the pad for stability but you are looking at about 120ft of total altitude which is a bit unsafe for a rocket that size and weight. Any little bit of wind or angle to the rod will greatly affect altitude. I don't recommend doing this if you build it stock and don't know the total weight of the rocket.

Before adding a baffle to mine I removed the unnecessarily heavy recovery system and replaced it with something a bit more sensible. You will see what I mean when you open up the kit. This dropped my rockets weight down to 7.9oz ready to fly minus the motor. At this weight I did fly it on a C11-3 but did so with no one around. It was literally just me in a field at Bong Rec area. It was the last flight of the day and I really just didn't want to chase another rocket down :) It recovered safely but it only managed maybe 140-150ft and honestly just wasn't worth burning the motor.

When I built mine 100% stock it weighted 8.4oz. This was built with epoxy and used all of the stock internals. I have flight data from two "D" flights with an altimeters on board. The first was a D12-3 that shows 361ft. I recorded that the ejection was a bit early on that flight. For the next flight I used a D12-5 and recorded 436ft. Both of these flights were stable and safe with good altitude that was easy to track.

I would stick to the D12-5 for this rocket. Depending on how you build it you are looking at 400-450ish feet.

Majestic or Magician?

Majestic is 29mm which can be adapted down to 24mm. The Magician is 24mm and can be adapted down to 18mm.

Majestic.. it's the Estes prepainted bird.. been wanting that thing for a long time and seen it in stock and grabbed it up ..but when I opened it yeah your right I could feel right fast a C11-3 want do the trick ..got an adapter gonna use a D12-5 .if I use an E I know I'll lose it fast.. I used an D12-3 on my mean machine past Sunday and Man it went up thought for a few sec I was gonna say bye bye to her but she returned to me lol

Dee,

This comes down to total weight of your rocket. How you build it can make a huge difference in performance. If you build it with CA you can drop weight off the rocket where as building it with epoxy will weigh a little more. Of course I recommend using epoxy for the Majestic. I recommend that you get yourself a cheap food scale off amazon. You can get a nice one for around $15. I'm happy to run the simulations for you but I need the actual weight for it to be useful.

If you build the Majestic stock it is too heavy for the C11 motor. If launched off a 6 foot 1/4" rod you will have just enough speed off the pad for stability but you are looking at about 120ft of total altitude which is a bit unsafe for a rocket that size and weight. Any little bit of wind or angle to the rod will greatly affect altitude. I don't recommend doing this if you build it stock and don't know the total weight of the rocket.

Before adding a baffle to mine I removed the unnecessarily heavy recovery system and replaced it with something a bit more sensible. You will see what I mean when you open up the kit. This dropped my rockets weight down to 7.9oz ready to fly minus the motor. At this weight I did fly it on a C11-3 but did so with no one around. It was literally just me in a field at Bong Rec area. It was the last flight of the day and I really just didn't want to chase another rocket down :) It recovered safely but it only managed maybe 140-150ft and honestly just wasn't worth burning the motor.

When I built mine 100% stock it weighted 8.4oz. This was built with epoxy and used all of the stock internals. I have flight data from two "D" flights with an altimeters on board. The first was a D12-3 that shows 361ft. I recorded that the ejection was a bit early on that flight. For the next flight I used a D12-5 and recorded 436ft. Both of these flights were stable and safe with good altitude that was easy to track.

I would stick to the D12-5 for this rocket. Depending on how you build it you are looking at 400-450ish feet.
Thanks..yeah I'm gonna build it stock but probably do away with the recovery that came with it I really don't care for how the little plastic peice that holds the shock cord in place just seems to me it's unreplaceable when it weres out prob use the old school paper to hold a regular cord in and use a 15 inch chute like I did my mean machine which worked great on two flights and a D12-5 to start an go from there. Alot of help and advice on here u guys are great.. I wanna donate something but how do I go at doing that?

Majestic.. it's the Estes prepainted bird.. been wanting that thing for a long time and seen it in stock and grabbed it up ..but when I opened it yeah your right I could feel right fast a C11-3 want do the trick ..got an adapter gonna use a D12-5 .if I use an E I know I'll lose it fast.. I used an D12-3 on my mean machine past Sunday and Man it went up thought for a few sec I was gonna say bye bye to her but she returned to me lol
I don’t know…feels like you should use a D12-3 over a -5. The Majestic is heavier than the Mean Machine.

I built this one..way too heavy for a D and forget about a C. It's built for 29mm. I'd love to put a G80 in it but don't think it's solid enough.

I’ve seen several failed Majestic flights because they were under powered.
I’d recommend playing with something like openrocket to run simulations with different motors.
Even an app like ThrustCurve is a simple way to list good motors and get an idea of altitudes.

Not sure why so many are having issues with flying this rocket on a D motor. I've flown mine on D's a number of times and it flies great without any issues. I will say that it's more fun on an E20 and F44 but it flies perfectly fine and safe to around 425 ft on a D motor.

Where did you find one? I've been looking for one to replace my daughter's that we lost in a field of soybeans that were 4'+ tall.

Not sure why so many are having issues with flying this rocket on a D motor. I've flown mine on D's a number of times and it flies great without any issues. I will say that it's more fun on an E20 and F44 but it flies perfectly fine and safe to around 425 ft on a D motor.
Are you using a standard launch rod? How long is it? I have crashed mine twice on an Estes D12 motor.

The Majestic is going to be very close to the edge of it’s safety margin on an Estes D12 - if the builder went heavy on adhesives, if the chute shifts all the way aft on launch, a sudden gust of wind, a wobbly/under strength launch rod (or a hang up on a dirty launch rod), an underpowered motor…it wouldn’t take much to send a Majestic unstable on a D12. I tried my admittedly heavier but built completely stock Mammoth on adapted D12 (not at a club launch, on my own at a friend’s farm) and on a still day it just barely worked - wagged it’s tail a bit and hit roughly 350ft or so.

Last edited:
The Majestic is going to be very close to the edge of it’s safety margin on an Estes D12 - if the builder went heavy on adhesives, if the chute shifts all the way aft on launch, a sudden gust of wind, a wobbly/under strength launch rod (or a hang up on a dirty launch rod), an underpowered motor…it wouldn’t take much to send a Majestic unstable on a D12. I tried my admittedly heavier but built completely stock Mammoth on adapted D12 (not at a club launch, on my own at a friend’s farm) and on a still day it just barely worked - wagged it’s tail a bit and hit roughly 350ft or so.
As witnessed by half here who crashed in a D12 and half who had no problems in a D12. 😁

In my experience, it the catalog says the adapter will work, then it probably will. If the catalog doesn't mention the adapter, then don't try it.

Screenshot_20220729-214017_kindlephoto-235101163.png

As witnessed by half here who crashed in a D12 and half who had no problems in a D12. 😁

In my experience, it the catalog says the adapter will work, then it probably will. If the catalog doesn't mention the adapter, then don't try it.

View attachment 530133
The Mammoth works well on an adapted E12 for a nice, low flight - if I can scrounge up a motor for the booster I think I have squirreled away I’ll give that a try but I’d definitely use my Chute Release!

I've flown mine twice, using F15-6 both times. Both flights were straight, with one going to 1256' and the second to1345'.

Back