Maine Missile Math & Science Club At Sanford RC Air Show Sept 6, 7, 8 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAC of MMMSClub

Reaction score
Hi All,

We need:

1. Members to man the tables in our tents, to talk to hundreds of people of how cool rockets are and explain what they are looking at. We will have displays of rocket parts.
A. Scott
B.
2. HPR qualified to put on launch at airport at designated times. Sat. noon-14:00 16:00-before dark Sun. Noonish Three rockets on 1010 rails ready for launch for all times. 3000 feet AMSL!
A. Alex S. Moxie
B. Bill S.
C. Alex R.
D. Bill Spad.
3. Rockets to display on tables and on pads and cradles.

4. We may also be doing small rocket launches do demo for kids not to much info on that yet.

5. Someone to sell raffle tickets as there only job.

6. During HPR Launches we will need some people to be spaced down the taxi way to spot for rockets in grass infield area.

More to follow

Last edited:
I can only do either Saturday or Sunday. Let me know what day you need me.

I'll try to make both Saturday and Sunday if I can. Will know better next week what demands my work will have on me. Friday is right out.

I can make Saturday for launching hpr in either time slot (preferrably earlier as my wife and mother are travelling down to see a launch) and to help wherever needed. If I launch hpr early with my amraam 3, I still have a freshly built wildman mini eagle claw to launch on a g from the rail (I don't have dd and tracking in it yet and don't feel comfortable launching it on an h without it).

I can make Saturday for launching hpr in either time slot (preferrably earlier as my wife and mother are travelling down to see a launch) and to help wherever needed. If I launch hpr early with my amraam 3, I still have a freshly built wildman mini eagle claw to launch on a g from the rail (I don't have dd and tracking in it yet and don't feel comfortable launching it on an h without it).

Well it will not be going anywhere but in the middle of the Airport as the rail will be angled to insure splash and or crash in a known direction but point taken about high alt full chute.

Well it will not be going anywhere but in the middle of the Airport as the rail will be angled to insure splash and or crash in a known direction but point taken about high alt full chute.

No crash. Failure is not an option. According to rocksim, the mini eagle claw will hit in the neighborhood of 6000 feet on an "h" motor under ideal conditions. As it is only 1.6" in diameter and 38" long, visual tracking at that altitude would be extremely challenging. As far as drift at high altitude, the rocket is relatively heavy for it's size, built like a tank, and is designed to come back on a 15" parachute so I doubt recovery will be too much of an issue from almost any altitude, provided it can be seen. Based on posts on TRF, I know a couple of other MMMSC members have this kit, but I'm not sure if they've had a chance to fly theirs yet to get feedback on the performance.

No crash. Failure is not an option. According to rocksim, the mini eagle claw will hit in the neighborhood of 6000 feet on an "h" motor under ideal conditions. As it is only 1.6" in diameter and 38" long, visual tracking at that altitude would be extremely challenging. As far as drift at high altitude, the rocket is relatively heavy for it's size, built like a tank, and is designed to come back on a 15" parachute so I doubt recovery will be too much of an issue from almost any altitude, provided it can be seen. Based on posts on TRF, I know a couple of other MMMSC members have this kit, but I'm not sure if they've had a chance to fly theirs yet to get feedback on the performance.

For all the reasons you list, this might not be the best candidate for a public demonstration launch. More likely something that can be seen for it's whole flight and comes down at a slower rate would be better for that weekend. Save the "disappearing act" for the Berwick field where the "target" audience will be smaller and more aware of what could be falling out of the sky.
Just my recommendation.

I can't commit to being there for the whole day (my son would protest far too much) but I will plan on showing up to check out the RC stuff, watch some demonstration rockets and the planes and help talk shop and pull in some people. I will help however i can.

Is this like last year when we are only flying a few rockets or are we having an open range for people to fly anything? I was assuming that this was more an RC thing and only a few designated rockets would fly.

I, for one, want to poke around for info on RC so I can make a RCBG at some point in the future.

For all the reasons you list, this might not be the best candidate for a public demonstration launch. More likely something that can be seen for it's whole flight and comes down at a slower rate would be better for that weekend. Save the "disappearing act" for the Berwick field where the "target" audience will be smaller and more aware of what could be falling out of the sky.
Just my recommendation.

Agreed. I do have both "f" and "g" reloads available, also. Just trying to find backup plans if there are any issues with other hpr flight attempts.

I can commit to either Saturday or Sunday, and I have rockets capable of up to full "L" level performance (though this will take them to 6,500-ish feet). I think a full "K" will probably be the best compromise. Are we allowed to use sparkies at this launch like last year, and what would be the best day for me and the WPI crowd to be there?

I can't commit to being there for the whole day (my son would protest far too much) but I will plan on showing up to check out the RC stuff, watch some demonstration rockets and the planes and help talk shop and pull in some people. I will help however i can.

Is this like last year when we are only flying a few rockets or are we having an open range for people to fly anything? I was assuming that this was more an RC thing and only a few designated rockets would fly.

I, for one, want to poke around for info on RC so I can make a RCBG at some point in the future.

Ya, we want L-1, L-2 for a certain number of flights and they should be DD or low and slow, known quantities regarding the rockets. No maiden voyages here please!

I can commit to either Saturday or Sunday, and I have rockets capable of up to full "L" level performance (though this will take them to 6,500-ish feet). I think a full "K" will probably be the best compromise. Are we allowed to use sparkies at this launch like last year, and what would be the best day for me and the WPI crowd to be there?

WOW! I just realized that I did not post MAX ALT 3000 AMSL so aim for 2500' Sunday would be great! Noonish launch then pack it up! But we still need 3 Rockets ready on the pads to launch in case of fail.

Last edited:
Okay, let me check my sims and I can get back to you on what motors I can use. Are sparkies allowed this year? They have a lower ISP so I can use a bigger motor for more awesomeness. Also, these rockets are both fully redundant dual-deploy using the Raven 3 and Altacc 2A.

Okay, let me check my sims and I can get back to you on what motors I can use. Are sparkies allowed this year? They have a lower ISP so I can use a bigger motor for more awesomeness. Also, these rockets are both fully redundant dual-deploy using the Raven 3 and Altacc 2A.

Thats a GO on the Sparkies.

Great, a CTI 54mm/4-grain K454 Skidmark sims to about 2,900 feet, and a AT 54mm/4-grain K456 DarkMatter sims to about 2,700 feet, Rocksim tends to overestimate with these motors. The smaller CTI J-360 54mm/3-grain Skidmark sims to around 1,900 feet with Rocksim underestimating these motors.

Thats a GO on the Sparkies.

Well maybe I'll toss my Vindicator Jr in the car with a H-123 skid. Simple motor eject flight to about 1000 feet. Should be a good demo, full view through the whole flight and I can start chipping away at my sparky stash.

Russ just dropped off the massive mars lander to display with the original scale as well.

GREAT NEWS WE ARE GOING TO BE UNDER THE BIG TOP AGAIN! WE WILL HAVE USE OF A LARGE EVENT TYPE TENT AGAIN SO WE WILL HAVE A SHADED OUT OF THE WEATHER SPACE TO DISPLAY!

Really, they will have a full compliment of fire fighting stuff there anyway, and the Ray wants a really big shoe!

It's your show but the idea of dropping flaming metal on to what I saw there last year strikes me as being a bad idea.

scott.jpg

Just returned from Ray & Robin's Hobby Center after buying helicopter parts (they're only about 5 miles from me). Ray talked to me about the RC Airshow and said that he's ordered a bunch of Estes Gnome rockets and motors for the kid's demo flights. He said he'll contact Scott when they arrive, possibly by Thursday. He also said that he would like to have early evening launches if possible, so if anyone has anything with leds, he's interested.

Just returned from Ray & Robin's Hobby Center after buying helicopter parts (they're only about 5 miles from me). Ray talked to me about the RC Airshow and said that he's ordered a bunch of Estes Gnome rockets and motors for the kid's demo flights. He said he'll contact Scott when they arrive, possibly by Thursday. He also said that he would like to have early evening launches if possible, so if anyone has anything with leds, he's interested.

Yup, I heard from him,

The only problem is what he wants and what is ok by FAR and NAR are two different things HPR and night launches with crowd so close are not going to happen under MMMSC flag.

I am not sure if he understands, we get our $h*# back!

It comes down SOMEWHERE, he wants a fireworks show and he may have one planed too, but you can sit at a fireworks show and be almost dam sure nothing is coming back once it leaves the mortar tube.
I expect every pound of mass, minus the propellant, to return to the surface and I want to make sure there is light to see it coming in, if it goes badly.

We do not set up with this is all going to work perfect in mind, we set up with worst case failure in mind. When it all works we smile.

I think having some successful hpr launches in such a public venue, as well as having displays set up and people willing to talk about the subject will definitely go a long way towards demystifying our hobby to those who have never witnessed it in person. I know that when I've talked to employees at Ray & Robins about rocketry, there seems to be a lot of preconceived notions about our hobby based on personal experiences with lpr. I don't think they understand the effort we put into achieving a good flight and successful recovery: the attention to detail in the rocket construction, the computer simulations to understand how it will perform, the flight prep, etc.

I (Alex R) can help out with all of the requirements. I too can only be there Saturday and Sunday though! I can bring rockets to display as well. I'm looking forward to this!!

Back