Madcow Super DX3 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sprayer is the cheap HPLV one from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

My compressor is a pretty standard 5 gallon Craftsman one. Just about anything can run a HPLV sprayer really.

As for the 54mm motor mount. I think that's a great idea. I wish I had done it myself now. The rocket is super sturdy and over 6 lbs with how I built it.

I picked up my HPLV sprayer from the church (Home Depot) as well as all the materials to make my lazy Suzanne turn table with a 2 foot tapered table leg that can screw onto a fitting in the center so I can use it with different diameter MMTs. I will just build up the narrow part of the taper with masking tape to match the MMT so the rocket doesn't flop around.

I picked up my HPLV sprayer from the church (Home Depot) as well as all the materials to make my lazy Suzanne turn table with a 2 foot tapered table leg that can screw onto a fitting in the center so I can use it with different diameter MMTs. I will just build up the narrow part of the taper with masking tape to match the MMT so the rocket doesn't flop around.

That's a good idea. I got a pipe flange and made fittings for various PVC sizes to fit 29mm, 38mm and 54mm.

Hi Jello,

The colour and finish looks fantastic, what is your set up on the spray gun, compressor, etc.?

Also now that I have decided to redo the MMT I am researching the idea of building this rocket as a 54MM MMT, when I RockSimm this config the rocket seems to fly very well...keeping in mind I can also and will very likely use a 38mm to 54mm adapter more often than not.

What is your opinion on this?

Well Jellow your thread inspired me to re-do my MMT, it arrived from Madcow today, here it is beside my previous one. As you can see it was finished, I even JB welded the retainer on..spare MMT? This time I will leave the aft CR off in order to do the internal fillets...again thanks for the valuable information these build threads have been a very good source for inspiration.

View attachment 147753

AIRFOIL FINS

Parts Involved:
- 3x 1/4" Plywood Fins (Kit)

Other Supplies:
- 1" Masking Tape (Blue)
- Ruler
- Pencil
- Hobby Knife
- Medium Grit Sandpaper
- Palm Vibrating Sander
- Sanding Block

Summary: I wanted a nice airfoil on the fins, but I didn't like the look of a rounded leading edge and tapered trailing edge on this shape fin, so I decided to go with a chiseled diamond pattern on all 3 sides. I don't have a table saw blade that is good enough for fine detail, so this is the method I came up with.

Step 1 - Mark 3/8" Border on Fin Edges: I took a high quality steel ruler and marked off a 3/8" border on all sides (except for root) of the fins with a pencil.

Step 2 - Tape off Border: Next I took some 1" wide masking tape and applied it on the inside of the fin borders. I only had regular tan tape at the time. Blue would make it much easier to see during this process. Use an Xacto knife to cut off excess.
View attachment 139676

Step 3 - Sand Edges: At this point, I took my palm sander and carefully started removing fin material. This process ended up being easier than I thought it was going to be because of the layers in the plywood. When sanding, you can see lines created as you pass through them. They make for handy guides to keep things straight. Once I had the sanding close with my palm sander, I switched to a sanding block to fine tune the look.
View attachment 139677

I loved your idea of the chiseled diamond pattern but didn't trust myself to hand sanding them, so I built a sanding jig.

I used two pieces of scrap oak 2x2's. For the first piece I set the table saw to cut a 19.5 degree angle (I had to do trigonometry - argh!) and did the cut. You flip the 2x2 180 degrees end-over-end and you have your sanding angle. Next I cut that piece in two and glued the angled cut piece to the 1x2 remainder to provide a flat surface to sand with. That iteration was hard to work with because of insufficient flat service to maintain angle integrity, so I screwed another 2x2 piece to the first. After doing one edge, I would make one modification. I would glue the angled cut piece up the side face of the (now) 1x2 by half the width of the fin. That would then provide a natural stop for the flat edge of the fin once you reach the edge of the masking tape one the first side. When doing the other side you'll have to go slow to not over sand it. Here's the end result (without said modification):

20190503_100407.jpg 20190503_100413.jpg

Using full sheets of 80-100 grit sandpaper, cut a long length about an inch wide, fold the edges over the end of the angled section and affix with good duct tape (I use Gorilla). When that side of the sandpaper gets worn flip it over end-to-end.

Place the fin at the edge of a table and clamp down tight. Place the sanding jig next to the edge and start sanding.

20190503_100305.jpg 20190503_100322.jpg

I've done one edge so far, here's the result.

20190503_102538.jpg 20190503_102548.jpg

When all edges are done, do a final light hand sanding with 220 grit or finer.

The beauty of this is that this is that without the mod I mentioned above, it can be used for any fin width, just set the masking tape farther back based on the width of the fin (a little trig required to do the calculation - Full disclosure, I didn't remember all of my high school trig off the bat after not using it for 50 years. Wikipedia to the rescue...). If you do the mod then you would need to make a jig for each different fin width. Either way, you should be able to sand perfect edges every time for any fin with straight edges.

I finally read this build thread and what a great build. Now thinking of building one myself. I will build it with the 54mm motor mount and dual deploy. I see that madcow has a RockSim file for the 38mm version and no dual deploy. I don't suppose you have a RockSim file for dual deploy or know where to get one. Also this build made me say yes to a paint sprayer as well. Much better then the cans

Back