Madcow Rogue Nose Weight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheshortstop

Reaction score
Hello all fellow rocketeers! I'm finally getting back into Rocketry after a 7 year hiatus. I recently purchased a Madcow Rogue kit. It comes with all the bulkplates to make it a Head End Dual Deployment recovery, however I would rather purchase a payload section for it in the future and make it standard dual deploy. For now I'm just going to stick with traditional motor ejection with a Jolly Logic chute release. My questions is, how much weight should be added to the nose cone to compensate for the weight of the HED not being installed? I've been guesstimating that the HED recovery system and components is about 10-12oz so should I add that much weight to it? I plan on flying on lower thrust longer burning motor, mid to high thrust Js, and lower thrust Ks are the plan for this rocket. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

You can download OpenRocket and simulate your Rogue build.

The Rogue has 4 way-aft fins of significant size, 54mm motor mount, and a metal tip. I going put money on nose weight = "none". It would depend on your epoxy filets, recovery components and their location, and where you put the bulkheads that are included, but I think you have a fair chance of a rocket that is already +1 calibers of stability without an av-bay in the nose.

You can download OpenRocket and simulate your Rogue build.

The Rogue has 4 way-aft fins of significant size, 54mm motor mount, and a metal tip. I going put money on nose weight = "none". It would depend on your epoxy filets, recovery components and their location, and where you put the bulkheads that are included, but I think you have a fair chance of a rocket that is already +1 calibers of stability without an av-bay in the nose.

I put fin fillets on the motor tube, and on both inner and outer surfaces of the body so it’s a little bit heavier on the aft section. So far the CG is about +1 from the CP, but with the motor it will be significantly less. Currently I’m using RasAero for a simulation program, usually it’s pretty darn close with the calculations but doesn’t have all the features of open rocket or rocksim. For some odd reason I can’t get open rocket to work on my laptop. As far as the bulkplates go, I’m only gonna be using the coupler bulkplate.

Even in the shortened config, my gut says you should be good to go. Check your sims though of course. :)

Back