MadCow Rocketry 'Lil Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyModelGuy

Reaction score
So I know this kit is on the older side. Thats fine. However, the directions are not the clearest. Dumb question and im not clueless. The engine mount tube seems loose in the centering rings, normal? And the nose cone doesnt seem to fit in the body tube. There are 3 rings in 2 different spots and the nose cone only inserts to the bottom most set of rings.
lastly the fins dont see to wanna fit into the fin slots is this normal?

Ok. I have the 2.6” fiberglass kit. Someone will chime in.
Oh and like I said im a machinist and follow directions well.. But these are by far some of the worst directions. And there is no build guides online that ive seen. So ill take me time and go slow.

I have not built a Lil Goblin, but have other Maccow cardboard kits. The rings on the nosecone will need to be lightly sanded to fit. I think it is done that way to account for irregularities in the manufacture of the tubes and nose cones.

As for the MMT and centering rings this is semi-normal. Seems like some are tighter than others. Good fillets are your friend. If the fit seems too loose (in your eyes) you can glue 3 bits of paper, m/l evenly spaced around the tube to tighten the fit. Might have to lightly sand if it tightens too much. I do this because I remove the glassine tube wrap for better glue adhesion. (opinions vary on if it is really required) I avoid a continuous wrap of paper because I want the ring bonded to the tube, not bonded to paper bonded to the tube. (just one of my things)
YMMV

Edit: I just looked at the instructions on Madcow's web page. They seem pretty adequate, and normal for this stage of rocket building. They assume you have some experience. The instructions specify epoxy, however, with a cardboard and wood model, yellow wood glue works just fine.

Last edited:
I recently built a 2.6” cardboard Lil’ Goblin and the centering rings were a tad on the loose side; especially after the light sanding to remove the residue from cutting. Epoxy is a good space filler and it is better IMO to have a cleaner surface for bonding. With regard to the instructions; yes, they are rather generic. You get the basics for how to assemble the kit, but not detailed step by step instructions. Madcow instructions are transitional from what you might be used to in that higher power kits tend to come with fewer instructions and call on the builder to apply acquired knowledge and research. As you become more advanced and apply custom and scratch techniques you will hardly look at the instructions at all. My Lil‘ Goblin below (shown with a Madcow Mozzie I built at the same time), got carbon fiber over layer, for example. It is all part of the fun. Asking questions and researching build threads in this forum is a great way to learn and make new friends. Good luck with your build.
A7AD5E24-251D-4E65-B0F6-DF0C084AC225.jpeg

And the nose cone doesnt seem to fit in the body tube. There are 3 rings in 2 different spots and the nose cone only inserts to the bottom most set of rings.
Didn't know what you meant at first. Assume you mean the raised rings on the nose cone shoulder? Just sand them down for a snug fit. Don't oversand.
lastly the fins dont see to wanna fit into the fin slots
Fins should be a snug fit in the slots.
Pictures of your problems would really help to clarify your situation.
I believe I may have an older model, the slots are cut too long so they compensated by extending the fin root tang.
Works, but looks kinda crappy. Will have to putty, fill and sand before primer.
0526210750[1].jpg.png
Good luck with your build.
Hope you enjoy many successful flights!

Didn't know what you meant at first. Assume you mean the raised rings on the nose cone shoulder? Just sand them down for a snug fit. Don't oversand.

Fins should be a snug fit in the slots.
Pictures of your problems would really help to clarify your situation.
I believe I may have an older model, the slots are cut too long so they compensated by extending the fin root tang.
Works, but looks kinda crappy. Will have to putty, fill and sand before primer.
View attachment 465979
Good luck with your build.
Hope you enjoy many successful flights!
I too have the extended "tangs". I wont be assembling until mid summer. But i even broke out of the Calipers and it looks like the slots are.100" wide and the fins are .125" wide. So sanding will be required.

Well I think this weekend I might start assembly on one of my 2 other estes kits and then contemplate the start of the lil goblin. I have 32 motors for my other rockets. Ranging from A10 to C6-0 and c6-7. And I might head out Monday and do some launches. YAY.

Latest posts

Back