• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Madcow 2.6" Nike - Apache Instructions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderboy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased an incomplete (knowingly) Madcow 2.6" Nike - Apache kit. The kit doesn't have any centering rings or fins. I figure it's easy enough to get centering rings and G10 stock to cut fins. I'm just not 100% sure how this all goes together and would love to see the original instructions or an exploded view diagram of where everything goes and what all is missing.

I've searched on-line and not found anything for the 2.6" kit. Thanks for looking!

Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know. I admit that I bought this without knowing much about it. I hope you don't mind but here are a few more questions:

1. Is this just a single stage rocket (sustainer is just a dummy) or is this intended to be an actual 2-stager?
2. Is the sustainer supposed to be just one single length of body tube, or is it supposed to have a 2nd tube to make it longer? Both the booster and sustainer body tubes i received are the identical length and there is no additional section included. (I haven't googled anything about the scale lengths of this rocket)

If anyone has any construction pics that help show the various centering rings/locations, that would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Can be flown both ways. Mine is 2 stage, but set up for single for the first flights. Has a Quantum for deployment.
Body tubes are the same length.. My Cr's are at the top of the MMT and the bottom of it. Another inside the transition. A smaller MMT tube inside the sustainer with a tube running down the side for the igniter wiring.

Attachments

• Resized_20230923_200840.jpeg
    Resized_20230923_200840.jpeg
    770.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Resized_20230923_200816.jpeg
    Resized_20230923_200816.jpeg
    812.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Resized_20230923_200759.jpeg
    Resized_20230923_200759.jpeg
    949.1 KB · Views: 1
I drew up all the required rings and fins based on the parts list. I am really shocked by how much it costs. I submitted the file to the website (I've used lots of times for metal parts) sendcutsend.com. They offer waterjet cutting of G10 fiberglass. A single set of these parts will be almost $100. I've only ever had plywood and sheet metal cut before, but it was way less money. I think it must be the difference between waterjet and laser cutting.

I've got a couple more questions for the team:
1. Can anyone confirm that the sustainer fins are actually 1/16" as specified on the parts list? The slots on the tubes I have are definitely too narrow for 1/16" stock, but obviously could be opened up if that's what they're supposed to be.
2. Does anyone have an alternative source for custom cut G10 fiberglass parts?

They offer waterjet cutting of G10 fiberglass. A single set of these parts will be almost $100.
Madcow’s website has pre-cut fins and centering rings that you could order. Looks like they have 2.6 Nike fins for about $7 each. I don’t see Apache fins but you could ask them. They have 4” centering rings too.

Back