Mad Cow Big Fizz Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacEsq

Reaction score
Recently picked up this kit.

2012-11-03_14-46-50_994.jpg

It is a basic 3 fin kit with the following specs:

Length: 46.5"
Diameter: 4.0"
Weight: 37oz.
MM: 38mm
Fins: 1/4" plywood
9/16 tubular nylon shock cord
Delrin rail buttons

As with all Madcow kits the components are very high quality and directions very clear. Going to build this all stock with only minor adjustments to shock cord attachment and I will be using a AP motor retainer. All epoxy build with JB weld used on the retainer.

Here is a picture of the parts.

2012-11-03_14-47-04_686.jpg

Dry fit ... damn thats big lol

2012-11-03_15-25-43_764.jpg

Didn't take pics of the boring motor mount construction. However, it is standard fare with 2 plywood centering rings and an eyebolt attached to the forward ring for recovery attachment. Peeled the glassine layer off the mm tube for better adhesion of the centering rings. Tubular nylon atached per instructions, stuffed into the mm then the entire thing epoxied into the body tube.

More pis to follow.

How are you going to paint it? It is a big Alpha ya' know...:wink:

Really not sure yet. Unless it is a scale-like kit or I just really like the stock paint scheme I have the hardest time deciding these things. LOL

I do really like the name "Big Fizz" so I will probably get Stickershock to make me something. ;)

Here are a few more pics of the build ... nothing too exciting.

Nc1.jpgNc2.jpgNc3.jpg
I cut the shoulder of the NC so I could run the eye bolt through and place a washer and nut on the inside as well. It will be secured with a little JB Weld.

Rg1.jpgRg2.jpg
Measuring and drilling for rail buttons.

since you're using the stock shoch cord...two words, cord protector! 'taint fun watching the body come down sans chute while the nose gets a nice gentle landing.
rex

Already got one installed... that was going to be the next set of.pics. But thanks for the reminder.

And some more ...

Fin1.jpgFin4.jpgFin5.jpg
My patented fin beveling and attachment ;)

Got the fillets done ...

2012-11-26_08-04-10_155.jpg

installed the shock cord protector ...

2012-11-26_08-04-18_481.jpg

and the motor retainer using JB Weld.

2012-11-26_08-10-26_533.jpg

Was also wondering about this little item I found ...

2012-11-26_08-24-54_785.jpg2012-11-26_08-25-04_77.jpg

Probably not using it for this kit but was wondering if 90lbs strength is sufficient for kits of this size.

Lookin' good! Though I've only flown mine once so far, I really like this rocket. I swapped out the nose for one that closely resembled a NC-50k upscale, and used Stickershock Alpha decals as Chad suggested; a photo is on Stickershock's front page if you scroll down a bit.

However you finish it, it's a great kit. Enjoy!

-Eric-

Was also wondering about this little item I found ...

View attachment 105672View attachment 105673

Probably not using it for this kit but was wondering if 90lbs strength is sufficient for kits of this size.
90 lbs is not very much.

What you want is a Rosco fishing swivel. You can buy them from FruityChutes, Top Flight Recovery LLC and others. They run about $3-5 a piece and are rated from 600lbs up to 1200lbs(?) IIRC. They are any where from two to three inches long. I swear by them, not at them.

Been thinking more about this aqs I near the end of the build. I took a 4in NC from another kit and like it much better than the one provided ... makes it look even more like an Alpha.

2012-12-11_15-05-01_342.jpg2012-12-11_15-05-23_997.jpg

What do you think?

Seriously considering ordering a similar 4in NC from Madcow and replacing the one provided with it. As for pain I have been looking at some of the Alpha paint schemes and will probably do that and order stickers from Srtickershock.

Been thinking more about this aqs I near the end of the build. I took a 4in NC from another kit and like it much better than the one provided ... makes it look even more like an Alpha.

View attachment 107201View attachment 107202

What do you think?

Seriously considering ordering a similar 4in NC from Madcow and replacing the one provided with it. As for pain I have been looking at some of the Alpha paint schemes and will probably do that and order stickers from Srtickershock.

I agree, I like the longer nose cone.

View attachment 107201View attachment 107202

What do you think?

I think it's a great idea, but I'm a sucker for classic designs. Choosing the Alpha you like the most will probably be the hard part. As a bonus, that other nose cone is a project waiting to happen!

So I went with the long NC and the Estes Super Alpha pain scheme. Here it is.

2013-03-14_18-35-53_515.jpg2013-03-14_18-36-17_414.jpg

Looks very nice, Jason. Good choice on the big Alpha theme.

Are you going to put it up this Saturday at our rain-delayed launch?

I forgot to thank Mark at Stickershock for the logo sticker. Fantastic work and very fast turn around. The red and orange stripe I decided to paint.

Very nice!! Have to agree that longer NC is perfect. That should really get up and go on 38mm.

That turned out great, Jason! How much does it weigh? My Alpha III XXL ended up at 44oz.

Thanks!

I have not weighed it yet. I will be doing that tonight.

Thanks!

I have not weighed it yet. I will be doing that tonight.

I wonder if SARG would let us drag race two high power rockets. I have an H178 Dark Matter with Alpha III written all over it!

A drag race was my first thought when I saw Jason's Big Alphizz.

Me too. I love a good drag race! But it'll be up to Jason and SARG. He may not want to drag race his beautiful bird on its maiden flight.

As long as he gets a photo of the rocket on the pad in pristine condition it should be all good, right.

They usually never look quite the same after that first launch.

Back