Lost rocket at NSL west colorado

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charrington

The Biologist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I lost a rocket at nsl today and was just hoping to make a post incase anyone finds it. I had to leave back to California so im hoping that someone might come across it. Its a 38mm carbon fiber airframe. There was a Loki 38/1200mm casing in it, feather weight gps, and blue raven with 29mm av bay. Id be willing to pay in shipping and throw in a little extra for the hassle if anyone was to find it. The featherweight tracker ID is my 10 digit phone number starting with 951.
89201637-9994-43CE-A39F-A4FC33E7711F.jpeg

What happened with the Feather Weight GPS?
This was an attempt at the K record and to save space; electronics, parachute, and charge were all fit inside the 38mm nosecone. The rocket took off and GPS lockout occurred for most of the ascent as I presumably hit a velocity of mach 3.1. Once the rocket reached apogee (about 39,500 ASL and 32,500 AGL) I had lock and received a few packets. However, i very abruptly lost connection to the tracker. After talking with @Adrian A , we believe there could have been a gas leak between the ejection charge and the electronics which caused catastrophic damage to the GPS. I believe its either this or a wire was pulled loose during the event causing the battery to shut down. To fit the electronics package into the nosecone, the battery terminal was removed on the gps and wires were soldered in place. This allowed the gps, altimeter, and two batteries to fit in the 29mm raven altimeter bay with the aid of some electrical tape and heat shrink tubing. I think this is the less likely of the two since the solder connections were strong and reinforced. I am disappointed that I lost the rocket since there is a very good chance that I would have beat the current K record. This project was about 5 years in the making and I wanted to really challenge myself by using the worlds only 38mm commercial K casing which has significantly less propellant than the 54mm K motors that are manufactured.

Last edited:
Back