Loose nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnl2

Reaction score
I am hoping to attempt my level 1 on sat. I built a 4 inch Red Max with a PML nose cone and a LOC body tube. These nose cone is loose enough that it wobbles loosely on the body tube. If I fly it on a CTI pro 29 4 or 5 grain is the ejection charge strong enough to blow through 2 sheer pins? The sheer pins came from Wildman. I'm not sure what size they are but they are pretty small. Much smaller that a 6-32 screw. Or should I just add a wrap of tape around the nose cone. The rocket weighs about 4 lbs. so I don't expect more than about 1200 ft. Will the air pressure blow the nose cone prematurely if I l don't secure it? Any help I greatly appreciated.

I am hoping to attempt my level 1 on sat. I built a 4 inch Red Max with a PML nose cone and a LOC body tube. These nose cone is loose enough that it wobbles loosely on the body tube. If I fly it on a CTI pro 29 4 or 5 grain is the ejection charge strong enough to blow through 2 sheer pins? The sheer pins came from Wildman. I'm not sure what size they are but they are pretty small. Much smaller that a 6-32 screw. Or should I just add a wrap of tape around the nose cone. The rocket weighs about 4 lbs. so I don't expect more than about 1200 ft. Will the air pressure blow the nose cone prematurely if I l don't secure it? Any help I greatly appreciated.

I would just use some tape. If you are in doubt ground test. Did you reduce the internal volume of the body tube with an extended motormount tube and 3rd centering ring? I have a 4" Red Max and have flown it on G's toJ's with using only the factory supplied ejection charge (A/T, CTI, 29 & 38mm) I added a 3rd centering ring on mine to take up some of the internal volume of the body tube. Hope that helps. I can send you my rocsim file on mine if you would like it.

Red Max 2.jpg

Dave, All you need for that is enough tape to snug it up to where you can lift the rocket by the cone, and the weight of the rocket does not cause it to seperate. A small vent hole, which you should probably have in there anyway, will keep it from pressure seperation.

I would just use some tape. If you are in doubt ground test. Did you reduce the internal volume of the body tube with an extended motormount tube and 3rd centering ring? I have a 4" Red Max and have flown it on G's toJ's with using only the factory supplied ejection charge (A/T, CTI, 29 & 38mm) I added a 3rd centering ring on mine to take up some of the internal volume of the body tube. Hope that helps. I can send you my rocsim file on mine if you would like it.

Thanks for the help. I used a motor mount that was about 12" long and only two centering rings. I did drill an 1/8" vent hole. I wasn't sure what size hole would be needed since it would stay pretty low. It has a 38mm mmt, but I think I am going to try the lv. 1 on a 4 or 5 grain CTI pro 29. I'm not sure which one yet. I was told a peak thrust of 5:1 on calm days and 10:1 if a little wind. Any motor suggestions or comments? And Griffin I will send you my e-mail, thanks for the rocsim. Dave

Back