Any advice on removing a stuck nose cone coupler?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Wildman 4" cone and a phenolic nose cone coupler that is stuck in the cone. It's hard to get a grip on anything. Apogee has a solution but I would like something more elegant and without glue residue. I searched the site and someone once mentioned heating the nose cone with a hair dryer but it wasn't a Wildman cone so I don't know if this is a good or bad idea.

Any suggestions for a wimp who has to use a jar opener for twist off beer caps? :p

Apogee:

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    979.4 KB · Views: 0
Wrap a couple layers of quality masking tape around the nose cone. then have a friend hold the nose cone where the tape is. The tape will provide extra grip. Then you can grab the coupler with both hands, one on each side and wiggle the coupler from side to side while you pull. Be careful not to squish the coupler.

If you are planning to use a bulk plate and screw eye in the coupler, you could glue those in and use the screw eye to help pull the coupler out.

Back