looking to buy a high flying Mid power rocket ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION POSED IN THIS THREAD:D:D. I'll second the Aerotech line. I currently have a Mustang that flys like a homesick angel on a high F (see attached). I've also had an IQSY Tomahawk and a Worthog. The Tomahawk was my first foray into Mid power and what a wonderful experience. Complete, RUGGED kits that are easy to build (and fast to build). Ejection baffel so no wading needed. Sturdy plastic fins with TTW construction. This incorperates the AT Fin Lock system which pretty much gaurenties perfect alignment. Nylon chute. The ONLY thing I don't like is the elastic shock cord. It has good lenght but for mid/high power I like kevlar (personal opinion, nothing more). All AT kits that followed delivered the same experience. The Warthog is a little slower and more robust, good for mid sized fields. Price is on the high side or reasonable but still reasonable given what you get. I have LOC kits, PML kits, TLP kits, ect..... I love them all and will continue to build them all but as a first step up out of the mod/roc class, Aerotech is tough to beat. My opinion, My two cents.

Troys Mustang.jpg

Troys mustang 2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok! I'm Going to be a hypocrite and let myself get pulled in.:D:blush:
Advantage of galss over other laminates (paper, Tyvec, ect.): Glass ( or any composite fabric) has a multidirectional weave which allows greater directional strength. As well, loads are distributed across the surface area, not through the structure, Shock force goes through the structure. ( a subtle but important difference. One applies to flight loads the other to landing force)
Recovery system decent rates: I agree that a 20-25fps rate is good (it's what I use. not that that matters), However, you must rember Force (specifically the force with which our rockets hit the ground) is a function of mass. A 2lb rocket hitting the ground at 22fps experiences a greater impact force than a 10oz. rocket hitting the ground at 22fps.
My rule of thumb for composite use on ANY rocket; Determine your performance needs and build to the need. To say this must be used or that can't be used is a little narrow. If it works, it works. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back