Looking for web sites for educational supplies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings! Last year I helped out with a rocket class for the kids at Camp Quality. It was a blast and I intend to help out this year as well. There are few hobby stores in northern Michigan for the Camp Quality staff to pick up supplies. I was hoping that I could get some advice on good sites to get good deals on educational bulk packs, engines, supplies, ect. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Others will jump in I am sure, but after having researched a bunch of beginner rockets available in bulk packs I settled on the Balsa Machining Service School Rocket. https://www.balsamachining.com/SchoolRocket2.htm The rocket itself is a good mix of skills-teaching in a beginner-resistant configuration. And it can be had at the bulk price in any quantity. It also flies very well, even on a breezy day.

Engines we have gotten from AC Supply (www.acsupplyco.com) though the local Hobbytown here sells bulk A8-3s and B6-4s for less than AC Supply's prices. I don't think that's universally true of Hobbytown stores, though.

But, as I expect you'll find out as the responses come in, there are LOTS of good choices.

When I had grant funds a few years ago to build up the engineering classes at the high school where I teach, I found that Apogee https://www.apogeerockets.com/ had just about everything I needed (the kids scratch built a BT-55 rocketwith and without the assistance from RockSim, then had the opportunity to build a Quest Courier egglofter that carrier either an egg or an altimeter). They weren't always the least expensive source, but - I quickly found out that not all suppliers really have stuff in stock when they tell you they do, but Apogee always did and never back-odered anything for us.

One thing about BMS that I found odd - as a public institution, school districts in Texas have to acquire certain business information about vendors that the state requires: EIN and somestuff like that and for some reason BMS wasn't going to provide us with that info. So I had to find another supplier for some bulk balsa that Apogee didn't at that time, but does now, carry.

Wayne

Contact Dave at Red Arrow Hobbies there in Michigan (or check out his Facebook page). I think he actually has a sale going on right now on bulk/education packs.

I invite you to look at the FlisKits Educator site for information about our bulk pack program with a focus on the Thing-a-ma-Jig and the Whatchamacallit kits.

These two kits are very easy to build and use conventional model rocket components to expose the kids to balsa and the basic construction tools used in model rocketry.

You can also view many photo albums of classes where I have used these two kits (and more) with kids all over the north east.

Additionally, FlisKits will bulk pack any kit on our site so that folks who want to move beyond beginner rocketry and into more advanced kits can do so and still take advantage of bulk pack pricing.

Hope this helps :)
jim

I have several types of Estes bulk packs, both kits and engines (some of them discontinued models), and I am highly motivated to move them. I've sold a few on eBay, but I still have way too many.

I also have a few Custom rockets bulk packs as well.

If interested, PM me for details.

- Rich

Last edited:
Just a freindly reminder raohara that you can't ship motors without a permit. There are some rather hefty fines for doing so.

Just a freindly reminder raohara that you can't ship motors without a permit. There are some rather hefty fines for doing so.
Thanks for the reminder. I am authorized to ship the type of engines I am offering. I'll make sure I add a note to that affect if I ever post again on the subject of selling engines. Sorry if I caused any heartburn.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder. I am authorized to ship the type of engines I am offering. I'll make sure I add a note to that affect if I ever post again on the subject of selling engines. Sorry if I caused any heartburn.

No problem. I just don't want to see someone get in trouble over this. I bet a lot of people aren't aware you need a permit to ship model rocket motors.

Thanks for all of the help everyone has given me. It is greatly appreciated. Sorry it took so long to reply. My internet service at home isn't working very well so I have to wait till I'm in town and have time to stop at the library to get access :(

Back