Looking for Fin Unit for a Bail Out Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowspawn

Reaction score
Does anybody happen to have the twist-lock fin unit for a Bail Out rocket they would part with for a few bucks? I don't necessarily have to have the upper piece that it locks into, just the lower fin unit part.

Just an FYI: the clear fin units are pretty hard to come by. However, the more recently produced crayon rockets used a molded black fin unit that physically is the same as the bailout (and other models such as the Titan II and MX Missile). So if you don't mind the black plastic as opposed to the factory clear one, that will open up more possibilities for you.

Yes, black would be fine. Are you sure the crayon rockets use the twist-lock system?

Doh! Never mind; I have found info that confirms what you’ve shared. Thanks!

:) I own three rockets that use the clear fin unit: the Titan II, the MX missile, and the Bailout. My clear fin units are all broken. When I helped the local cub scout pack launch rockets, we used the Crayon rockets from Estes and I saw the similarities and can confirm 100% it works. If I had spares, I'd send you one but unfortunately I only have one per rocket. Good luck on the search.

Launch lab rocketry has some of the Estes crayon rocket kits available I believe.

Based on a google search of that rocket, it SURE looks the same to me... I'll see if I can get some closeup pics of the fin unit and corresponding rocket fitting so that somebody with that rocket could compare.

Here are some close-ups of the original clear fin unit compared to the black unit included with the Crayon rocket. Also shown is the attachment on the base of the Bailout (left) and Pink Crayon (right). Everything is the same except the color of the plastic.

If anyone has the Estes Sizzler 2472 for comparison, it would be nice to know if there's another source for the fin unit.

20220204_153742.jpg20220204_153658.jpg20220204_153631.jpg

There is a 3d printable fin can on Thingiverse for a BT80 tube. Easy to scale for any tube size. Let me know if you need help. Just install a metal clip to retain motor. You can make that from the stainless reinforcing strip found in windscreen wiper blades. Any garage should have heaps of scrap ones.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4974346

Sounds like a good candidate for a carbon fiber tip-to-tip layup.

Back