Looking For Built-Up Insulation Foam Nosecone Tutorial Videos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've found a site that describes how to make a built-up nosecone, but I'm kinda tired, and I'm looking for some audio/visual input... e.g. a video showing the process.

I've found a video that shows how to make a craft foam nosecone, but it's not built-up... Thus, its missing a critical step in the process. So, I'm not finding what I want there.
I've also found a video that shows how to make a RC Plane's spinner, but it's not Insulation foam.
Apogee's got a video... but it's again, not insulation foam.

Anyone know of any videos that show the process of building up and shaping a nosecone out of insulation foam?

Do not have a tutorial but can show what they look like when they come in ballistic and they compress and shed all the fiberglass! How I did mine was attach 3 at a time to all thread and the in a hand held drill, starting at the bottom biggest one first, get it to the correct size, the taper to the smaller, then mark all with a line, then take the "new" top one, and put it on the bottom, and then the next 2 and start tapering again but not touching the very "bottom" of the bottom ring, so I did not disturb its size relationship to the two I tapered first, and then just continue this until all were done.

Attachments

• 4-18-09 010.jpg
    4-18-09 010.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 16
  • img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 15
  • P8160510.JPG
    P8160510.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 14
Not exactly what you asked for, but related:

Thanks for that! Sorry I didn't see it earlier... It's been crazy here lately (Chinese holidays are not like Western holidays). Finally got though them and back to "normal".

I have been doing some experiments. I've found that contact cement and the foam that I have are not compatible (and the ventilation in my apartment is nowhere near adequate for contact cement).

My original layup was done (full height with shoulder) with squares stacked on each other (and contact cement). While they have cured and are hard, there are serious voids where the glue dissolved some of the foam. It might be safe to fly (glassed) but I think if I were to sand the shape of the nosecone out, it'd be significantly weakened.

My 2nd experiment was done small scale, only a couple of scraps were taped together with double sided tape. While the tape is up to the task for joining, it has a raised profile at the joint after my sanding it. I have tested the results with an application of BSI epoxy, and found that it is compatible with the foam. Thus, fiberglassing is an option and part of my goal. I don't know if the epoxy would work for joining layers or not... I see another experiment in the near future.

A new idea I just had was to make the nosecone going lengthwise (in other words, built from one side through the center to the other side). Perhaps this would give me a wood-like "grain" that wouldn't be out of place on the exposed "wood" of an upscaled pencil. I have more than enough to do several nosecones (I just need to peel the aluminum off of both sides of the foam material I found).

Last edited:
I have tested the results with an application of BSI epoxy, and found that it is compatible with the foam.
White (yellow) glue also works, and is what I used here since the body tube was phenolic (Blue Tube).

Thus, fiberglassing is an option and part of my goal. I don't know if the epoxy would work for joining layers or not... I see another experiment in the near future.
I imagine it would as well. Laminating epoxy certainly sticks well for the fiberglass shell.

A new idea I just had was to make the nosecone going lengthwise (in other words, built from one side through the center to the other side). Perhaps this would give me a wood-like "grain" that wouldn't be out of place on the exposed "wood" of an upscaled pencil. I have more than enough to do several nosecones (I just need to peel the aluminum off of both sides of the foam material I found).
You mean the tape lines make the "grain"? I think they would be too far apart, but I agree they would go in the right direction. Maybe you could run a wire brush along the nose after to make more grooves. This would give you closer-spaced grain lines and hide the tape ridges. Of course, that's only if you don't fiberglass.

White (yellow) glue also works, and is what I used here since the body tube was phenolic (Blue Tube).

I'm using PVC for the main airframe. I might be able to find some kind of cardboard tube. I've had the damnedest time sourcing tubes and things... but only just today I found wood hardener for less than $200 USD/quart :oops:

I imagine it would as well. Laminating epoxy certainly sticks well for the fiberglass shell.

It did... I'm using BSI 30 minute epoxy. The sanded joint has very faint ridges... Far superior to the tape. The epoxied tape is slightly better than the "raw" tape, but still not very satisfying. Looks like I have my method of doing the layup... Disks.

You mean the tape lines make the "grain"? I think they would be too far apart, but I agree they would go in the right direction. Maybe you could run a wire brush along the nose after to make more grooves. This would give you closer-spaced grain lines and hide the tape ridges. Of course, that's only if you don't fiberglass.

Perhaps I could artificially "groove" the fiberglass as the epoxy cures while I've got it on the rotisserie. That said, there are pencils that don't show grain, and with the new method of laying it up, it looks good. Now if I could only preserve the pink color of the foam (perfect for the "eraser").

Last edited:
A flying pencil. I love it. I did one too. Made the fins look like a large eraser. What are you doing for fins?

Attachments

• 20201207_195822[77].jpg
    20201207_195822[77].jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 11
A flying pencil. I love it. I did one too. Made the fins look like a large eraser. What are you doing for fins?
NICE!!!

I'm planning on using Lexan ~1/4" thick, and designed to be replaceable should they break.

Back