Looking For Built-Up Insulation Foam Nosecone Tutorial Videos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've found a site that describes how to make a built-up nosecone, but I'm kinda tired, and I'm looking for some audio/visual input... e.g. a video showing the process.

I've found a video that shows how to make a craft foam nosecone, but it's not built-up... Thus, its missing a critical step in the process. So, I'm not finding what I want there.
I've also found a video that shows how to make a RC Plane's spinner, but it's not Insulation foam.
Apogee's got a video... but it's again, not insulation foam.

Anyone know of any videos that show the process of building up and shaping a nosecone out of insulation foam?

mikeyd

Old Rocketeer
Reaction score
Do not have a tutorial but can show what they look like when they come in ballistic and they compress and shed all the fiberglass! How I did mine was attach 3 at a time to all thread and the in a hand held drill, starting at the bottom biggest one first, get it to the correct size, the taper to the smaller, then mark all with a line, then take the "new" top one, and put it on the bottom, and then the next 2 and start tapering again but not touching the very "bottom" of the bottom ring, so I did not disturb its size relationship to the two I tapered first, and then just continue this until all were done.

Attachments

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi K, I did a 12"foam NC. Not a video, but just a thread. I would be happy to answer anything that I might be able to. Dave.

kenstarr

Reaction score
Not a video but I did this back in 2014. It amounted to a "lathe" in conjunction with a "millng machine". A rotisserie motor turns the nose cone assembly while the router cuts off the foam... And makes an incredible mess!

JohnCoker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly what you asked for, but related:

Latest posts