long poles to fight rocket-eating trees?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I was at the neighborhood community pool a while back and took note of the aluminum telescoping poles they use to haul folks out if they're in distress. It was very light, didn't bend, and seemed pretty long."

I can just see the head line now:
"Local Swimmer Drowns While Rocketeer Recovers Rocket!" :rotflol:

Craig
(sorry...I couldn't resist)

Or-

"Nationwide, Law Enforcement Agencies Baffled by Rash of Lifeguard Pole Thefts" :lol:

I have successfully used connected sections of my swimming pool accessories, i.e. the telescoping poles used for the skimmer net and vacume attachments. Kinda awkward handling, but I can get 30-40 ft reach easily. Cannot use near electric lines.

Like a kite eating tree, but with a need for speed.

John

Ahhhh yes...those things.

I have never seen one in a dry lakebed. Except as firewood that is. Speakign of firewood, winter is approching, and it could get bone chilling cold at launches. Maybe into the 40's....brrrrrrr

I've seen some really long carbon fiber poles used for getting things out of trees and other stuff. I know one person who is involved in RC planes who has one. Unfortunately they cost about $4,000. I'm not sure who sells them or how long they are.

Fiberglass Lineman's poles work very well. The fall back for us is a guy who used to climb trees a lot in his work. He brings all of his gear and is nice enough to help out when things go terribly wrong.

I've seen some really long carbon fiber poles used for getting things out of trees and other stuff. I know one person who is involved in RC planes who has one. Unfortunately they cost about $4,000. I'm not sure who sells them or how long they are.

I am sure rolling your own would be much cheaper. Fiberglass would probably do the job just as well as CF though.

I had a #!** of a time getting my L-3 bird out of a tree. We tried everything imaginable. PVC pipe (too limber), Copper Pipe (too heavy), slingshot with line (not enough distance), fishing line bow and arrow (not enough distance), Throw lines (not enough distance), and a fishing pole (not enough distance and inaccurate).

My rocket was 75 feet in the air, laying across the tree canopy.

Nothing worked.

Finally I hired a tree service. The guy came out looked at the tree and while I was explaining the best route he had already reached the rocket and managed to hook it with the copper pipe. We got everything down but the main and nosecone. Unfortunatly my tracker transmitter was in the nose cone.

This was a Pecan with a 48" trunk and every bit of 75 feet tall. The site was 185 miles from home. I drove this distance round trip five times before I got it down. I lost the transmitter, Rocket Man R-14 chute, 6" Performance Rocketry fiberglass nose cone and damaged a borrowed casing. I'd hate to add the cost up, it would be terrible.

I had 2 PerfectFlite altimeters in the e-bay. A MAWD and a HA45, both of them survived and the airframe was not damaged. The rocket was in the tree for 6 weeks. Several storms blew through the area during that time.

Got the cert though.

MFJ the ham radio company markets a 33 foot fiberglass pole that costs about $70. Its very light weight and the size of a fishing pole tip at the very end.

part number MFJ-1910

I have one and some have found them on ebay for even less.

They are 33 feet as that makes them 1/4 wave 40 meter antennas.

NARAM-49 had three orange ones being used as thermal tracking poles.

Back