Loki Research Motors/Cases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge fan of Loki. The hardware is top notch and the motors are great. Their motors are more expensive than other brands, but, IMHO, they are really fantastic. The I405 could be my absolute favorite L1 motor period. …and it’s non hazmat!

A major benefit of the snap ring hardware is it opens up the world of EX motors.

Recommend taking the step.

LOVE Loki motors. Over half the catalog of loads is hazmat free. The ONLY downside is limited availability and you need to purchase igniters separately.

CTI has an easy plug -and-play configuration, but there are a continuing string of 'issues' that makes me not want to fly many 38s or any of their 54s because of the prevalence of said issues.

I like Loki motors too. The 38mm G loads are great and as mentioned, a lot of things ship hazmat free. Sugar grains work well in the snap ring cases too and they make some cases with them in mind.

Big fan of Loki. Certified both L1 and L2 with them.

I’ve never not had someone come up to me after I launch a Loki and ask “What WAS that?”

Plus, Scott always has been super quick to answer any questions I’ve had

Got into 38mm Loki because if I just need one or two G, H, or I motors to make a flight that I want to soon, I can buy them and get them shipped for a reasonable price rather than waiting until I can place a huge order for motors to amortize the hazmat shipping.

I've been satisfied so far. The G94 Ice Blue in particular is a great motor.

For a while there CTI was the poster child of HPR, especially during the N5800 MD days.

I've flown a decent amount of each! The nice part about CTI is that you can load the 75 and 98mm loads in Aerotech hardware, and the assembly of 38 and 54mm motor is super quick and easy.

I flew a CTI M1675 Pink in an Aerotech 6400 case earlier this year, and the K740 C-Star is one of my favorite motors of all time!

Braden

Huge fan of Loki. The hardware is top notch and the motors are great. Their motors are more expensive than other brands, but, IMHO, they are really fantastic. The I405 could be my absolute favorite L1 motor period. …and it’s non hazmat!

A major benefit of the snap ring hardware is it opens up the world of EX motors.

You can do research with Aerotech's cases.

I’ve never not had someone come up to me after I launch a Loki and ask “What WAS that?”

Plus, Scott always has been super quick to answer any questions I’ve had
I have always had the same experience. And they always work flawlessly. I recommend them to everyone.

isn't all that is required is to make the grains the exact same physical Dimension as what commercial grain dimensions are?
I don't want to get totally of topic..but ..you can do "exact same" or you can make up your own physical dimension to give the motor a different burn profile.

I've flown motors that had 'all' of the manufactures parts in them at the same time....compatible in more ways then you can imagine.

Once you understand the chemistry, grain geometry, pressure vessel sealing methods, thermodynamics, machining and scrounging it becomes easy.

Tony

Agreed 100%

isn't all that is required is to make the grains the exact same physical Dimension as what commercial grain dimensions are?
Not really
A discussion best for the research forum, has a little bit to do with recycling a few things too😉

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience using LOKI or CTI motors. All of my experience has been around A/T 24, 29, 38 RMS. Cert'd L1 and L2 this year, but haven't ventured into either CTI or Loki.

Loki motors are extremely high quality. I have never seen a Loki motor CATO, in almost 20 years. The large selection of HAZMAT-free motors is great, too !

Dave F.

Maybe at retail, but who pays retail for AT? I fly Loki too, but not because it costs less.

The majority of people who attend launches that do not buy all their motors at once thru one dealer.
Not sure about that, especially in the 54mm

Not a bad thing, just have a hard time justifying the K960 when there is a K1103…

Loki retail K960 is 175.00 for 1947Ns or 11.126 Ns per dollar.
AT retail K1103 is 168.99 for 1789Ns or 10.586 Ns per dollar.

Again, nothing against AT each has their own benefits.

Forgot about that. Only vendor selling AT at launches I've attended is Performance Hobbies, and Ken's stock has been pretty low in the 18 months I've been a BAR.
You need to meet Wildman (Tim).
Come fly this spring/summer/fall in Wisconsin or Illinois.
Bring your wallet - don't bring your Fiat, Spark or MINI (unless it safely pulls a reasonable trailer).

I have the full 38mm Loki case set and the 76/6000 motor. Love Scotts reloads, I just wish someone sold them up by me.......I hate paying HAZMAT.

Scotts 75/76mm reloads are some of the best bang for the buck, especially for the 6k case. $400 and change for a spicy 75mm M motor is great.

I agree with Tony, you can do EX in any case. I do/have done EX in AT style cases as well as Loki, as well as my own design. All you need is a lathe!! :-D

I have 114mm hardware that uses threaded closures like AT where 114mm has always been a "snap ring" size. Actually, 114mm threaded gives you FAR greater strength than snap ring due to the case thickness. I do mine with a 4-1/4"-12 thread. Do the thread shear calculation on that thread....its HUGE!!!

You need to meet Wildman (Tim).
Come fly this spring/summer/fall in Wisconsin or Illinois.
Bring your wallet - don't bring your Fiat, Spark or MINI (unless it safely pulls a reasonable trailer).

Dude, you're not lying.

Back