Looking for High Power Mentor for High School Team

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicPenguins

Reaction score
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone with L2 or L3 experience would be interested in mentoring our rocketry team. We're located in NYC but we understand in-person mentoring may be difficult.

This would be our first time being mentored as our team has been running for about a year now, with our highest rocket reaching 3,000 ft on an I-motor. We are going to launch at FAR in California this August on an altered Mach 2 kit on a Loki L1040. We would likely have virtual meetings & discussions about our designs and plans to ensure we are building our rocket correctly. We also have other big plans later in this year and next year but those ideas are still in their very early stages.

We've primarily been building our previous rockets using this forum and the r/rocketry subreddit so having a direct mentor to help us would be a great help!

For further information on our team, please see our website at https://www.browningrocketry.com

Thank you!

Is their no one available at your local club to help with the mentoring? If you have worked you way
up to an "I" motor I'm assuming you're L1 certified at this point through that club.

Are you a member of NAR or Tripoli?

Is their no one available at your local club to help with the mentoring? If you have worked you way
up to an "I" motor I'm assuming you're L1 certified at this point through that club.

Are you a member of NAR or Tripoli?

I'm Junior L1 certified and we have a school faculty member who helps facilitate the team who is L1 certified, but he is learning rocketry with us so he is more of a sponsor/supervisor for the club than a knowledgable mentor.

Our nearest club is METRA which we have launched before but I did my certification at MDRA. We won't be going out to METRA for another month or so, otherwise, we would reach out in person.

I believe that since you are a junior L1 that your L2 or L3 mentor must be at your flight to be the flier of record.
Steve, please correct me if I am wrong.
I wish you good luck on your flight, we also mentor many college teams at our club
TripoliMN.org
One of the largest is the U of M team. You might reach out to them for advice on securing a mentor and what they do as I know they use zoom meetings.

I believe that since you are a junior L1 that your L2 or L3 mentor must be at your flight to be the flier of record.
Steve, please correct me if I am wrong.
I wish you good luck on your flight, we also mentor many college teams at our club
TripoliMN.org
One of the largest is the U of M team. You might reach out to them for advice on securing a mentor and what they do as I know they use zoom meetings.
Not Steve..

FAR is neither NAR or TRA events.

Not sure what they require if anything

@High Desert Rocketry ?

Tony

I'm Junior L1 certified and we have a school faculty member who helps facilitate the team who is L1 certified, but he is learning rocketry with us so he is more of a sponsor/supervisor for the club than a knowledgable mentor.

Our nearest club is METRA which we have launched before but I did my certification at MDRA. We won't be going out to METRA for another month or so, otherwise, we would reach out in person.

Don't wait to reach out to METRA if they're near by. It only takes an email with your request.

You may want to drop an email to Teddy at OneBadHawk. He makes recovery harnesses for rockets.
Go to his website for contact info. He is just a stones throw from NYC. He may know someone that
can help you.

Virtual meetings are very helpful, but if you can find someone that can drop in on meetings (build sessions)
on occasion, you'll find your design & builds more productive. Hands-on Show & Tell is always good.
(and maybe you can help with the parking in NYC when that person comes to visit, lol)

Last edited:
Back