Loki Research at MDRA this weekend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki

Reaction score
Loki Research will demonstrate several new motors at the MDRA launch this weekend at the Sod Farm. If you'd like to volunteer for a flight, stop by the Loki Research tent.

38mm
H120 "Smoky Joe", black smoke propellant for the 38-240 motor.
H350 "Loki Blue" fast propellant for the 38-240 motor.
I110 "Loki White" moon burner. 4 second burn, for the 38-480 motor.
I240 "Smoky Joe" black smoke propellant for the 38-480 motor.
I700 "Loki Blue", fast propellant for the 38-480 motor.
J400 "Smoky Joe" black smoke propellant for the 38-740 motor.
J1001 "Loki Blue", fast propellant for the 38-740 motor.

54mm
J400 "Smoky Joe", black smoke for the 54-1200 motor.
L1500 "Loki White", 2 seconds of terror for the 54-2800 motor.

Here's a preview of a J1001 on the test stand:
LB5.jpg

Originally posted by Loki
Loki Research will demonstrate several new motors at the MDRA launch this weekend at the Sod Farm. If you'd like to volunteer for a flight, stop by the Loki Research tent.

38mm
H120 "Smoky Joe", black smoke propellant for the 38-240 motor.
H350 "Loki Blue" fast propellant for the 38-240 motor.
I110 "Loki White" moon burner. 4 second burn, for the 38-480 motor.
I240 "Smoky Joe" black smoke propellant for the 38-480 motor.
I700 "Loki Blue", fast propellant for the 38-480 motor.
J400 "Smoky Joe" black smoke propellant for the 38-740 motor.
J1001 "Loki Blue", fast propellant for the 38-740 motor.

54mm
J400 "Smoky Joe", black smoke for the 54-1200 motor.
L1500 "Loki White", 2 seconds of terror for the 54-2800 motor.

Here's a preview of a J1001 on the test stand:
LB5.jpg

Come on Jeff, Don't call it 2 Seconds of Terror! Thats the best 2 seconds a rocket will ever see:) And I am sure that we all are wondering if the J-1001 or L-1500 are using the Star Grain?

I remember Many Years ago flying a Kosdon L-1860 Demo Almost 5 years to the day ago. It was in a small rocket, and the motor was over 1/2 the length! You just can't beat the fast, loud motors like that!

I can't remember hearing a complaint that a motor is "Too Fast," or Too Powerful! But Congrats on the new motors, I am sure everyone is looking forward to them!
Tom Sanders

I'll me moving out to the field tomorrow to get in line early :) Hmmmmm How am going to hide from the landowner until noon on Saturday?

Hand is raised for any of the 240/480 loads. Couldn't convince you to stash one with my name on it just in case I can't get there THAT early? Including delays, right?

We'd go for t he two seconds of terror in the Jaguar for the Mach Madness, but I have a feeling it would exceed the waiver and maybe even land in the nut house. We will look you up on saturday.

Chuck

Originally posted by ContrailRockets
Come on Jeff, Don't call it 2 Seconds of Terror! Thats the best 2 seconds a rocket will ever see:)

I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. It's my sincere hope that some are terrified. :D Dogs barking, mothers screaming, children crying.....All marks of a good motor.

And I am sure that we all are wondering if the J-1001 or L-1500 are using the Star Grain?

The J1001 and the L1500 are BATES motors.

I remember Many Years ago flying a Kosdon L-1860 Demo Almost 5 years to the day ago. It was in a small rocket, and the motor was over 1/2 the length! You just can't beat the fast, loud motors like that!

Yep, Frank Kosdon made some good shredderators.

I can't remember hearing a complaint that a motor is "Too Fast," or Too Powerful! But Congrats on the new motors, I am sure everyone is looking forward to them!
Tom Sanders

Thanks! Can't let the gas passers have all the fun.

RSTAFF (PHM),
I'm headed out to the sod farm on Sat.
Is bay bridge traffic going to be bad ?
I am bringing the "crew" and a new shade canopy.
I have never been to the sod farm before and want to set up front and center and enjoy the show (it's My 40th Bday). how is the parking and "set up" situation ?
Is launch equip set up before 12:00 or at 12:00.

I can see it now 20 cars lined up on John Brown Rd. at 11:59, then a drag race at 12:00

Lay some insight on Me brother !! :)
I'm bringing a grill and chow, You set Me up good and I'll feed You !. I'll be in the Green dodge van.

Slack

The parking is not bad at all at the sod farm, just park where they direct you as the sod is a cash crop for the owner, and you shouldn't have a bad seat from anywhere. All parking is in one row, so you will have a full view of all the racks.

I'll be there saturday with my sidekick. Hope to see ya there.

Chuck

From what I remember, the launch set up begins before that 12:00 start time, however they probably will not be done at noon. Generally people trickle in rather than line up on the shoulder of the road waiting. I suspect the bridge traffic will be bad with the weekend being sunny and warm. Being that it's a late start, I leave lots of time to ensure I get across in a timely manner. Coffee on the launch-side of the bridge can kill extra time before noon :)

I hope to meet you there and hope you'll have a happy birthday :)

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Jeff

Don't be stingy -> you gonna bring some of these to NERRF?

A

Possibly....I will be there manning the Loki tent.

-Darren

I'll first give a public thanks to Jeff for providing the demo motors! This made for a most fun launch :) I got to fly the H120, H350, and I700 motors, and scored an J1001 for future disassembly duties :) The Smoky Joe is nice, but the Loki Blue rocks!

You can read about these and other flights on my blog https://rocketdungeon.blogspot.com/

Richard, glad to finally meetya and you did well on the Loki motors. The Loki J400 Smokin' joe made our Jag fold up like a cheap pair of pants......the culprit seems to be a weakened alt bay which began the foldup. After that millisecond rapid destruction cascaded throughout the airframe leaving only the nose cone and altimeter reusable. But it looked good till that millisecond. :) And qualified as an official MDRA Really Cool flight. The video should be on the MDRA site later in the week.

Chuck

Yup, it was good to put a face with the name. Sorry about the shred, I'll look for the video. I'm contemplating shredding my L2 rocket. I built it before I found rmr, and TRF wasn't even a a gleam in anyone's eye, so my construction methods were no too refined (to say the least!) It held up fine to J350s, but I suspect the J1001 may do it in.

Well after looking at the nosecone in the light of day, that's a gonner too, the only thing to survive was the altimeter. Oddly enough it beeped out 500 feet, exactly what the main was set at. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't a premature ejection preceeding the body tube misalignment cuz the sound would have taken a half a second to get to us. I'll wait to see video as I got behind it on the flight after rushing and setting up the padcam I never really caught up with it. I'll need to see someone else's.

You flying the J1001 next weekend? :)

Chuck

Regretably, I will not be a NERRF. Sounds like I'm missing a good one.

BTW Neil McGilvray had a nice flight with Udder Madness on the Two Seconds of Terror. Sure was a purdy flight.

Chuck

Hey Dick,
Glad to meet You,
sorry if I seemed preoccupied, I was prepping rockets for 5 small kids all day, and launching My own.
I brought 3 other Father/Son pairs, 1 is hook line and sinker, the other 2 are asking questions.
Heck even the wife was impressed, But she is starting to catch on that it may not be all "for the kids"

See Ya next month.

Slack

Yeah I was busy burning Loki motors. My wife says I have a one track mind. Thanks for the dogs, they were tasty :)

Hmmmm, a green M core motor, airstarting four 38mm 'Smokey Joe' motors would be really cool! Too bad they aren't certified yet, I'd fly that combo in 'Knob's Revenge' at NYPower.

-Rich (the original Knob™)

Originally posted by Rich Pitzeruse
Hmmmm, a green M core motor, airstarting four 38mm 'Smokey Joe' motors would be really cool! Too bad they aren't certified yet, I'd fly that combo in 'Knob's Revenge' at NYPower.

They'll be certified sometime this summer. Until then, you can fly them at METRA or MDRA. Coming down to NERRF? Darren Wright will be manning the Loki tent and he'll have a few on hand.

Originally posted by Rich Pitzeruse

Rich

If I can make it to NYPOWER you can quit being a Dumas and get your butt down to NERRF this weekend. Nuff said.

:)

Chuck

Perhaps you can't quit being a Dumas. :-0 BTW I want one of the steins, I expect them to be for sale on the field.

Originally posted by Loki
Coming down to NERRF? Darren Wright will be manning the Loki tent and he'll have a few on hand.
I am!!
I have a 20 lb 7.5' tube fin that might want to give some of your 54mm loads a try-out!!

I wish I could make it to Nerf, smurf, whatever it's called. But it's father's day weekend, and I'd get in BIG trouble for bailing on the family that weekend.

Nope, being a Dumas is in my blood, no way I can quit. ;) And..I only ordered 1 stein, I'll be looking cool at the Days Inn Lounge. :cool: It's certainly not to late to order yours, Chuck. ;)

-Rich

Originally posted by rstaff3
Yup, it was good to put a face with the name. Sorry about the shred, I'll look for the video. I'm contemplating shredding my L2 rocket. I built it before I found rmr, and TRF wasn't even a a gleam in anyone's eye, so my construction methods were no too refined (to say the least!) It held up fine to J350s, but I suspect the J1001 may do it in.

I recently used a LOKI J528 to shred a scratch build called Express
Mailer. Built from a Federal Express triangle shaped shipping box.
It flew perfectly twice on a I 357 but it was not really made for J's
when I shredded it with a J528. It was pretty cool to see this
motor tube coming down with a parachute in the middle of this
cloud of debris. The nose cone, fins, motor tube survived but the
outer box never made it. It had already proved the point about
taking the box and making it fly with at least an I, so I gave it a
shot with the J.

I really like the LOKI motors and hope to see more propellant
types in the future.

William

Some photos of my rockets have been posted on the MDRA photo page.
https://www.mdrocketry.org/photos/esl86/

Looiking under the photos by John Ritz:

Row 1, far right - B914 on an I sugar motor
Row 4, 2nd from right - Upscale Big Brute on a Loki I700 demo
Row 6, 2nd from left - Lazarus on a Loki H350 demo
Row 7, 2nd from left - Lazarus on a Loki H120 demo

The I700 and H350 are so quick that the flame is not visible even on these photos. However, you see some nice smoke on the H120 :)

What motor is that in the first pic on row six? It has a really nice flame

Back