Loki Extended bulkhead and modified snapring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-N-D-R-E-W

Reaction score
If anyone could post a picture of the Extended Bulkhead, 2-turn spiral retaining ring, and Modified snap ring for use with the L-1040-LR. I have never seen this setup in person and I'm curious how much longer it makes the 54/2800 configuration.

Edit: I'm also curious in general how the extended bulkhead and 2-turn is put together, any input would be great in the 54/2800 or 54/4000.

Last edited:
Not 100% sure what you're asking, but I do own a 54/4000 case with the extended bulkhead compatible with the M1378 reload. Here's some shots of the instructions and components. Anything specific you want measurements of?

Here's the video of how to assemble 54/4000:

Loki 54-4000 hardware unboxing (1).JPG

Loki 54-4000 hardware unboxing (3).JPG

DSC_4020.JPG

DSC_4021.JPG

DSC_4022.JPG

DSC_4023.JPG

DSC_4024.JPG

If anyone could post a picture of the Extended Bulkhead, 2-turn spiral retaining ring, and Modified snap ring for use with the L-1040-LR. I have never seen this setup in person and I'm curious how much longer it makes the 54/2800 configuration.

Edit: I'm also curious in general how the extended bulkhead and 2-turn is put together, any input would be great in the 54/2800 or 54/4000.

If someone hasn't replied with some clear pics of the 2-turn ring installation I have a couple of spent L-1040 nozzles and can do a mock up tomorrow for you. Essentially it is pretty simple, the 2 turn ring installs on the inside aft grove and the nozzle just sits against it. Logistically this means you button up the aft end first by pushing the nozzle, liner and grains up into the case far enough to install the 2-turn ring, then you push everything back down and buttoning up the forward closure.

The modified snap-ring just has the wider ends, where the snap ring pliers get a hold it, ground down on the inside. This is just for clearance when installing the forward bulkhead as the space between the inside of the case and the outside of the closure is tight.

Here are some more pics to digest.

Snap ring for the extended bulkhead with the ears ground vs. standard snap ring. The smaller internal 2-turn ring for the L-1040 reload vs. the standard 2-turn ring that is effectively the external thrust ring.

Standard 54mm forward bulkhead vs. the extended forward bulkhead.

When I prep the L-1040 I do the bottom first. After sliding the reload in with the nozzle, I push everything forward to this point.

Then I install the 2-turn ring.

Once installed then slide the reload and nozzle aft until the nozzle shoulder is resting against the 2-turn ring.

The top end snap ring looks like this once the forward bulkhead is in place, see how there is less room between the inside of the motor and the outside of the bulkhead. That is as compared to the slightly narrower standard bulkhead.

Back