LOC Bruiser EXP with MMAS and RNWS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This:
Q. Other manufacturers sell 75 mm motors and yet Loki has 76 mm motors. Are they the same? Will they fit my rocket?

A. It is basically the nomenclature. 75mm and 76mm cases both fit 3" motor mounts and airframe tubes from any manufacture. 75mm cases have a slightly smaller diameter (~2.960") and a thinner case wall. The Loki Research 76mm motor case has a standard reference OD of 2.985". 76mm equals 2.992" while 75mm equals 2.952". Round up the Loki case OD by .007" and you get 76mm. Round down the competitors ~2.960" OD by .008" and you get 75mm. So, 76mm nomenclature is a more accurate conversion for our hardware. You could also just call them both 3" motors, but if you plan on using your motor case as a staging coupler in your 2-stage rocket, a Loki Research 76mm motor will provide a more secure and snug fit to your airframe.

From here: lokiresearch.com/page/FAQ

This:
Q. Other manufacturers sell 75 mm motors and yet Loki has 76 mm motors. Are they the same? Will they fit my rocket?

A. It is basically the nomenclature. 75mm and 76mm cases both fit 3" motor mounts and airframe tubes from any manufacture. 75mm cases have a slightly smaller diameter (~2.960") and a thinner case wall. The Loki Research 76mm motor case has a standard reference OD of 2.985". 76mm equals 2.992" while 75mm equals 2.952". Round up the Loki case OD by .007" and you get 76mm. Round down the competitors ~2.960" OD by .008" and you get 75mm. So, 76mm nomenclature is a more accurate conversion for our hardware. You could also just call them both 3" motors, but if you plan on using your motor case as a staging coupler in your 2-stage rocket, a Loki Research 76mm motor will provide a more secure and snug fit to your airframe.

From here: lokiresearch.com/page/FAQ

Thanks Tom - great explanation.

These LOC tubes fall right in that gap because I can get an Aerotech motor in there (it is tight), but there is no way a Loki is going in.

All the FG tubes I have tried have been fine.

Back