Llama Logo Reproductions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The template is traced out onto the fine piece of basswood that is included in the kits materials. Care is taken to align the grain of the wood with the fin templates leading edge.

Llama Logo 047.jpg

Your work is wonderful.Totally enjoying this build thread.

The next task in the destruction demands you get the fin skins outt'a the sheet of card stock and onto the basswood fins.

OK, I'm on it!

The material and tools needed to accomplish this task were gatherd together. White glue, wooden fins, a nearly useless junk mail membership card and a highly evolved bio-mechanical device (A.K.A. a "left hand nose picker").

Llama Logo 061.jpg

Llama Logo 065.jpg

It was fun to cut the fins. Your build has thought me a few things. Thanks.

The next task in the destruction demands you get the fin skins outt'a the sheet of card stock and onto the basswood fins.

OK, I'm on it!

The material and tools needed to accomplish this task were gatherd together. White glue, wooden fins, a nearly useless junk mail membership card and a highly evolved bio-mechanical device (A.K.A. a "left hand nose picker").

NO NO NO!
It is a Righthand Nose Picker!
You are ruining for me!!!
;)

To get things started, white glue was squirted onto a bass wood fin.

Llama Logo 062.jpg

NO NO NO!
It is a Righthand Nose Picker!
You are ruining it for me!!!
;)

In order to meet the stringent quality control processes put in place by the Dalai Llama, a right handed nose picker (as far as he'll ever know :wink:) was used to spread the white glue over the entire surface of the fin.

Llama Logo 063.jpg

The nearly useless junk mail membership card was used to skim off what the right handed nose picker (or was it the other nose picker?) left behind.

Llama Logo 064.jpg

:jaw: Try to not freak out badly when the fin twists into the mother of all warps. :jaw:

Llama Logo 066.jpg

You know, we southpaws don't have these fascinating left hand nose pickers at our disposal quite like the rest of y'all.

:jaw: Try to not freak out badly when the fin twists into the mother of all warps. :jaw:

'Cause when glue is applied to the other side, the fins will return to their full upright and locked position.

Llama Logo 068.jpg

Last edited:
Planning ahead, any white glue that made its way onto the leading and trailing edges was cleaned off with a wet Q-tip.

Why bother?

Any glue on the edges will give a splotchy look to the edges when they are colored in with the red marker.

I don wan no stiiieeek'n splotches.

Llama Logo 069.jpg

stock-photo-314858-mexican-bandito.jpg

A little more prep is done to the fin skins before they're put on the wood fins.

To get a very clean look'n fold between the red and the gray, the blunt tip (knife is held upside down) of a dinner knife is used to make an indentation along (on) the lines that seperate the two colors.

After this is done, bend the two colors towards each other and the resulting seam will have a very neat/clean fold.

Llama Logo 070.jpg

Last edited:
Time to deploy the Anti Cat Dispersal System.

This will deliver a fine mist of the Anti Cat liquid over the surface of the dried glue, one side of a fin at a time.

I don't even have to squirt the cats any more. They see me pick it up and they're GONE.

Llama Logo 072.jpg

A towel is layed down to catch any over spray.

The wood fin with the dried glue is layed on a paper towel. This helps keep the under side dry when the Anti Cat liquid is deployed.

Llama Logo 073.jpg

Last edited:
Slapped one of the skins on, layed the fin on a hard flat surface, then rolled any traped air out with a dowel.

Llama Logo 074.jpg

And when not using them on rockets, they make great Klingon emblems...

If I were a gamester I would have wagered my last quatloo that it was Triskelion symbology but then what does a lowly thrall know anyways?

If I were a gamester I would have wagered my last quatloo that it was Triskelion symbology but then what does a lowly thrall know anyways?

The illamanati are most displeased about this discussion....

Back