Liquid fuel propulsion and material issues

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binuwara

Reaction score
Hello! Everyone

This is my first time posting to a rocketry forum and I'm glad I found a forum to post a question about this subject.

So a while ago I found this book named as How to design and build small liquid fuel rocket engine. After I read this book I had this obsession to build a liquid fuel rocket engine. So after reading again (thoroughly) I found that the metal copper which is used to demonstrate the build in the book is hard to get hold of in my country. So I decided to use steel but thats the point I got these problems,

Reliability
Heat transfer capabilities
Working stress

After I researched about it I found that there is no resource for get this knowledge so can you guys help me out?

I just want know can I replace copper with steel or another commercially available metal that is good and at a relatively low pricepoint

Hi Binuwara, Welcome to rocketry! Liquid fuel engines can be pretty complex and dangerous, so we don't discuss them in an open forum. This forum mostly focuses on solid fueled rockets. That said, feel free to hang around to learn from some of the experts here.

There is a certification process that is administered by the National Association of Rocketry or the Tripoli Rocketry Association. Once you get certified as a level 1 flier, the admins here will allow you access to the research section, so you can discuss more advanced topics like motor making.

Many countries have universities with aerospace engineering departments and some specialize in rocketry. I do not know your country. You might try contacting a university and inquire there.

But generally speaking, not being able to answer such questions indicates you are not ready for such an endeavor. You could get yourself or others killed, from ignorance, in experimental rocketry.

Gerald

Thanks for the reply and there are no universities in SriLanka abou rocket engineering as I can remember

Thanks for the reply and there are no universities in SriLanka abou rocket engineering as I can remember
Contact any or all of the following and ask about rocketry programs:
- Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies
- Asia Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum
- Moratuwa Sri Lankan German Technical Institute

Thank you mister it is a surprise that I never thought that the universities in sri lanka will help me lol

You see Arthur C Clarke institute is not about rocketry and so is the German tec institute and btw as I know the German tec Institute is about automobile engineering

You see Arthur C Clarke institute is not about rocketry and so is the German tec institute and btw as I know the German tec Institute is about automobile engineering

Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies partners with Asia Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum for youth water rocketry competitions.
https://www.accimt.ac.lk/accimt/?page_id=464

Moratuwa Sri Lankan German Technical Institute is where Thiwanka Neranjan Dissanayake did his solid propellant Sky Touch series / HathoR Aerospace.
https://hathoraerospace.blogspot.com/p/rocket-experiments.html

Either group may be able to put you in contact with any local Rocketry community which may exist.

Good luck!

Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies partners with Asia Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum for youth water rocketry competitions.
https://www.accimt.ac.lk/accimt/?page_id=464

Moratuwa Sri Lankan German Technical Institute is where Thiwanka Neranjan Dissanayake did his solid propellant Sky Touch series / HathoR Aerospace.
https://hathoraerospace.blogspot.com/p/rocket-experiments.html

Either group may be able to put you in contact with any local Rocketry community which may exist.

Good luck!

Thank you Mr. Dhbarr for your kind reply but you see the water bottle competitions??? I'm talking about liquid fuel propulsion and The guy thiwanka just simply made a rocket what we call a Sugar rocket (bit exaggerated ) and I just wanted to know if I can replace copper with steel and never mind btw because I recently got some copper metal for me! But still looking forward for an answer

Good luck!

Back