Life Hacks... Those Little Tricks To Make Life Easier For you. Please Share Yours.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think my most useful and potent life hack is to ask smart people for stories, help, and opinions. that being said, anyone else run firefox on their windows 10 desktop? if so, please tell me if the menus on estes' site entry page display correctly on mouseover. for me they don't. everything moves left. (explanation: blah blah blabbity no one cares). just looking for confirmation.
Running Firefox on Windows 10 Pro. The mouseovers look fine to me.

strange stuff, only the entry page is funky. internal pages all display correctly. this is what i see when i mouseover 'rockets'...

Mine does the same thing. I can't see the first column because the pull-down is shifted to the left. On a couple, I can see the last letter of some words on the leftmost column, but that is it. Win10, Mozilla Firefox 105.x.x, but I have version 106 downloaded and ready.

Instead of biting the cap (under the cap) off a new Mennen speed stick, twist the stick a few times to raise it, and it'll pop that cap right off!

Instead of using Axe, throw the can away, go back to the store destroy the aisle you bought it.

I'm scarred for life about that stuff. For a couple weeks my teen son and his friends all wore it, ran around in a pack... Whew! 🦨

An easy "Driving hack". Whatever speed you want to drive on cruise control, speed up to 1 mph past that intended speed (say, 66 mph when you want to go 65), then once at 66 mph, do one click down to go to 65 mph. The "cracking the throttle" will cause less fuel draw than if you sped up to 65 only, not 66 then clicking down to 65.

nzfxFVO.jpg

At least, that's how it works out with the average fuel use mileage display on my Outback.

But, cruise control sucks for going up hills. So sometimes I disengage cruise control and use manual throttle, glancing at the fuel mileage display to try to keep the fuel usage from going into the yellow (more fuel usage than current average), with the inevitable result that my speed does drop. On a really long hill, and/or steep hill, that won't work since speed would drop to a crawl, but in that case I judiciously use manual throttle to avoid an unreasonable speed drop, while still using less fuel than cruise control would cause in trying to maintain speed up a hill like that.

There's many other ways to save fuel while driving , many well known, but I thought I'd mention the above since it's not as well known. Particularly the go 1 mph faster than you plan to, then drop by 1 mph trick. . But I did already know of NASCAR drivers "cracking the throttle" to save fuel while racing

Last edited:
If you do any carpentry, use metric tape measures, rulers, etc. For example, it's a lot easier to figure out the midpoint of a number like 1.865 meters than, say, 3' 8" and 9/16ths. Even better for when you have to divide measurements into thirds or fourths, etc. Comparing sizes is much easier than having to use fractions with denominators like 16ths or 32nds.

Instead of using Axe, throw the can away, go back to the store destroy the aisle you bought it.

I'm scarred for life about that stuff. For a couple weeks my teen son and his friends all wore it, ran around in a pack... Whew! 🦨

Back in my day, some took a Brut33 shower in the locker room. Wipe off with towel--then paint all areas with Brut33 deodorant.

Similar results. Funky with an extra stink.

If you do any carpentry, use metric tape measures, rulers, etc. For example, it's a lot easier to figure out the midpoint of a number like 1.865 meters than, say, 3' 8" and 9/16ths. Even better for when you have to divide measurements into thirds or fourths, etc. Comparing sizes is much easier than having to use fractions with denominators like 16ths or 32nds.
Not so much carpentry but I do woodworking. I have no problem with real measurements using a real tape measure, no need to do funny measurements with milumeters and stuff. But when I'm building rockets, I use metric for templates to space fins or to space out painting for roll patterns, things like that. It is easier to mark out multiples of some decimal fraction in mm than to work in 1/16ths or 1/32nds.

Not so much carpentry but I do woodworking. I have no problem with real measurements using a real tape measure, no need to do funny measurements with milumeters and stuff. But when I'm building rockets, I use metric for templates to space fins or to space out painting for roll patterns, things like that. It is easier to mark out multiples of some decimal fraction in mm than to work in 1/16ths or 1/32nds.
Resistance is futile ;)

Just learned a new hack... Attach a magnet to a string to keep at your desk, or table. It might help you when you drop a screw that can be attracted by a magnet without having to get up and crawl around.

HOWEVER:
1698374645269.png
My mod to this would be to tether the magnet under the desk in such a way that it:​
Won't catch me ,or my clothing, if I come into contact with it.​
Won't damage a computer set above it.

Oh, and for the record. I didn't invent this, and even if I did, I did it while I was in my apartment, and not "on the clock".​

Last edited:
Before you sit on the porcelain throne, actually VERIFY there is ample toilet paper present. This is especially important in public restrooms, but can apply in your own home especially if you have inconsiderate family members or roommates.
I was sitting on the throne in a supermarket when I noticed there was no toilet paper and it was too late to abort the cargo drop. My solution was to take out my phone. Look up the supermarket on Google and call customer service for an emergency delivery.

I do the opposite. Saw gets the fuel dumped and run until it stops, so there's no fuel in the tank to go bad before it gets used next time. I probably don't run mine as often as you do.
For those who live in town or on a smaller lot, an electric chainsaw is inexpensive, much less noisy, the fuel is a lot cleaner than gasoline ;) , and it starts a heckuvalot easier than any gas saw (my left-arm problems began years ago when attempting to start a weedeater). You have to deal with an extension cord but that's usually not a serious issue. If I lived on a bigger plot I'd probably have a gas saw and an electric. Use the latter for anything close enough.

For those who live in town or on a smaller lot, an electric chainsaw is inexpensive, much less noisy, the fuel is a lot cleaner than gasoline ;) , and it starts a heckuvalot easier than any gas saw (my left-arm problems began years ago when attempting to start a weedeater). You have to deal with an extension cord but that's usually not a serious issue. If I lived on a bigger plot I'd probably have a gas saw and an electric. Use the latter for anything close enough.

A neighbor had the rotten top of a tree fall into his driveway during a storm here last week. Fortunately, he heard the first bits of hail and moved his Lexus into the garage before it got bad, so the tree didn't land on the car. Rather than filling the tank and firing up the fun saw, I just grabbed the Sawzall. He didn't believe it would be big enough (I've cut cars in half with it - it's big enough) and pulled his 110 pole pruner chain saw out of the garage to cut the mess apart so it could be dragged into the grass. Got me thinking a cordless chain saw could be useful if you have the battery ecosystem.

For example,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-Battery-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-2727-20/307750956

My gas saw is a Stihl MS200T limbing saw. A bunch of chainsaw nerds were talking about it as the last before emissions controls hamstrung the power of the newer ones. I keep it around and try to keep a good can of premix available as a grab-and-go to get out of Dodge if there is a big enough storm to put some big trees across my exit route.

Last edited:

In addition to my 3 gas-powered saws (Stilh MS170-14", MS291-20" and MS381 clone - 28" bar) I have a Greenworks 40V saw with a 16" bar. It gets a ton of use because of just what you say. I completely used up the original chain, and upgraded it to a compatible .050" gauge bar and chain that is a lot stiffer (stock is .043"). Cuts even better now.

For those with even moderate amounts of cutting to do for their home; that's the way to go. (I also have a 40v pole saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, hedge trimmer and push mower, so I have a lot of batteries). We have a large wooded property with a lot of landscaping and burn wood in our fireplace, woodstove to heat my shop and maple syrup evaporator. They get used a lot and are just fantastic.

Google "Stihl muffer mod" to get the power back on the new saws :) My MS291 pulls a fully buried 20" bar, in ash/oak, just fine!

I bought a 14 inch battery powered saw by Skil (to replace a corded electric saw that died). It is MUCH more effective than the corded model. On a recent firewood foray I took 2 batteries and a Jackery rated at 200 watts. In the time I wore down a battery, the spare was charged, the 290Whr Jackery was good for three recharges for a total of five, three battery's worth was enough to fill a 3/4 ton with half a cord.

I felt a little awkward cutting with what is essentially a toy (these little Skil's go on sale for $100) until a commercial cutter showed up with a partner, a 1 cord trailer, and two of the same saw I was using (I didn't ask how they managed batteries).

I still need to file the saw, but there is zero futzing with a 2 stroke engine, and cutting a cord takes about a quarter's worth of electricity (you still need bar oil).

Ego makes a much more capable (and expensive) saw that runs on the same batteries as their mower and blowers - I will probably get one when I need to replace my gas saw.

This is a little like LED bulbs - which many hate with a passion. When was the last time you saw a serious flashlight with an incandescent bulb? Some things just work better.

Hmm, chain saw life hacks. I saw a movie where the power went out and they had to start a pick-up truck to escape after they had drained the battery. They used a chain saw to start truck motor. The movie never showed or explained exactly how they did that. That is an interesting life hack that I always wanted to know.

This may or may not work for you, but it worked for my old Toyota, which was a stickshift (when the alternator went out and failed to charge the battery enough for me to start the car), I could compression start the car easier in reverse or in second gear than in first gear.

This may or may not work for you, but it worked for my old Toyota, which was a stickshift (when the alternator went out and failed to charge the battery enough for me to start the car), I could compression start the car easier in reverse or in second gear than in first gear.
Pop starting is a rural life skill! Higher gears work better due to more mechanical advantage.

Trucks, tractors, ATVs, dirt bikes....

If you see something on a farm oddly parked on an incline, you now know why :)

Back