Level 3 Build "The Grand Optimist" Ultimate Wildman

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky indeed, reminds me of the good old days when we had monthly launches year round. DFW is getting kind of crowded and even our fall launches are 2 hours away.

Thanks...I'm using the Skyangle Cert3 Drogue and Cert3 XL chutes with OBH 7/16" Kevlar Harnesses.

Similar to what I used, Cert3 XL with deployment bag and pilot chute, and a traditional hemisperical drogue. I've become a huge fan of deployment bags on my med and large sized rockets. OBH makes fine harnesses as he did my custom ones and you can't go wrong with Cert3 chutes.

Jeff,

Good luck with this rocket and the L-3! I've been following this thread, and only tonight realized your location is Keller, Tx. I was born and raised out there in Melody Hills...a long time ago!

This project is finally winding down and is one step away from completion (clear-coat). I finished up painting the fins and stripes a few days ago and today I received and applied the vinyl. I really couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. I would like to thank Mark at stickershock23.com for his help and also for his patience making sure that we were on the same page and that I was happy with the final result. As always he goes above and beyond. I originally had 5" letters in mind but we worked it down to 3 1/2" x 60" long and it fills the space nicely.

While I am thanking people, I can't forget Teddy at onebadhawk.com He not only gets involved with your order personally, he takes the time to make sure it is right for your project and gives helpful advice on the build and recovery options. The quality and workmanship are second to none on everything I've ordered from him and this was no exception, I'm a customer for life.

Last but certainly not least I would like to say thank you to everyone involved in this thread with the advice and input on the build, I've learned a lot.

So now I have 2 1/2 months to stare at this rocket until it takes to the skies over Argonia at Airfest!

20160617_151235.jpg

20160617_151432.jpg

2 1/2 months ???
There is no way I could wait..
Shake it out on an "L" lol...

Sure did come out nice Jeff...
Thank you very much man...

Teddy

Awesome man, you should give it a shakedown flight on a high impulse G at Gunther tomorrow.

Thanks for the info cbrarick, I'll keep that in mind when I get to the ground test. My figures were just estimates as a place to start with the charges. There will be absolutely no doubt about separation when I am finished testing. 30 flights on an UW...nice! Any pics?
Take off.JPGurrf 2014.jpg
the first is my cert flight on a cti m2045 smokey sam. The second is from URRF 2014 where I was going for skidmark in a N4550. Needed more R45 to get a better effect along with some swarth....

Awesome man, you should give it a shakedown flight on a high impulse G at Gunther tomorrow.

Now that would be interesting...I would use my 98/29 mm adapter but I loaned it out at the last launch :tongue:

Tomorrow is out for me, a little too far for mid-power flying. Have fun!

Now that would be interesting...I would use my 98/29 mm adapter but I loaned it out at the last launch

You can borrow mine, here it is on the ultimate :)

R6sYXBxl.jpg

A short update on my project. My 2 TAPS came by to look at the rocket last weekend and signed off on my paperwork. The only suggestion was to reinforce the nosecone shoulder with a fiberglass sleeve, which I made out of a spare piece of BT. Apparently these older nosecones are made of very thin fiberglass with an outer gel-coat which makes them a bit on the weak side, I was not aware of this. I may replace it at some point with the newer one from WM with the aluminum tip, we'll see how it holds up.

I pre-registered online for Airfest and I received my 2 Skyangle chutes (24" drogue/XL main) from Madcow last week (Black & Red was worth the wait). I should have the motor from pyrobob next week. 5 more weeks but at least we are getting closer!

20160724_111158.jpg

20160724_111313.jpg

20160728_123538.jpg

Speaking of ultimate nosecones, my first flight at Argonia this month resulted in a large dent in my nosecone. It's the gel coated PML variety but it's covered with a wrap and the bulkhead is glued in so I need to do some exploratory surgery!

This is not good to hear, I just received a 6" PML cone today for my ultimate. guess I'll look for a FWNC

The Gel Coat cones are too fragile in my opinion. I will gladly sacrifice the weight for a FWFG. Besides, there is more flexibility with them as well. Removable shoulder for adding electronics (tracker/GPG) or making it HED.

I remember when I first got the kit being struck by how light the nosecone was, it really seemed too light to me. As far as I can see on the website, Wildman doesn't sell a 6" FWFG NC, the only one I could find with a quick search was from Madcow.

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/fiberglass-6-filament-wound-metal-tip-select-shape/

Now I have to wonder if I am going to chance using this NC on a cert flight? I can see having a prefect boost and deployment only to find the rocket on the ground with a broken tip or hole through the side of the nosecone resulting in a disqualification.

I'll have to give this some thought and would like to hear any other experience with these nosecones like smapdiage9 had with his. Hope you figure that one out.

Perhaps you can get some insurance by laminating strips of fiberglass inside the existing NC. You should have plenty of room to work inside a 6" cone. Not a perfect solution, but some additional strength for minimal effort/expense.

I remember when I first got the kit being struck by how light the nosecone was, it really seemed too light to me. As far as I can see on the website, Wildman doesn't sell a 6" FWFG NC, the only one I could find with a quick search was from Madcow.

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/fiberglass-6-filament-wound-metal-tip-select-shape/

Now I have to wonder if I am going to chance using this NC on a cert flight? I can see having a prefect boost and deployment only to find the rocket on the ground with a broken tip or hole through the side of the nosecone resulting in a disqualification.

I'll have to give this some thought and would like to hear any other experience with these nosecones like smapdiage9 had with his. Hope you figure that one out.

I am wondering the same thing - been suggested FW as well but I would think it would hold up to a reasonable motor for a few flights or Wildman wouldn't sell it. I'm thinking to build it with the PML but look to acquire FW for the future. Just speculating

I have had no trouble with the 6" fiberglass nose cone from PML that I used. Of course that was purchased something like 14 years ago so may be quite different from what they sell now.

I don't think a Tap would fail you for a broken N/C tip. iTs not your fault the cone hit a rock when landing. Plus with just a little fix its will fly again. Each Tap has his own rules on a pass or fail.

I don't think a Tap would fail you for a broken N/C tip. iTs not your fault the cone hit a rock when landing. Plus with just a little fix its will fly again. Each Tap has his own rules on a pass or fail.
My TAPS where pretty clear about the pass/fail criteria. If it can fly again you pass.

The main concern they had with the nosecone was having the fairly thin, 7/16" kevlar shock cord zipper the shoulder. That has been addressed and corrected with the FG sleeve.

I may be simply overthinking the strength requirement of surviving one flight. I have done a few non-scientific strength test on the NC today and I am pretty confident it will survive the journey to 8000' and back unless it happens to land on a large rock (very few in Argonia)

I could lay in some fiberglass strips as CI(VII) suggested or maybe even fill it with epoxy foam for some added strength (and I may if I am convinced it is necessary) but at this point I think I will just leave it up to the rocket gods to determine if my build merits L3 status.

While I had the NC apart I went ahead and drilled the sled and mounted the Eggtimer TRS GPS/Battery

20160730_114754.jpg

What you could do is pour in about 2" of epoxy to help with the weak tip. One thing to watch out for is the last time I added weight and epoxy to the N/C tip is the epoxy really heated up. So I just placed the tip of the N/C in a glass of water while epoxy cured.

What you could do is pour in about 2" of epoxy to help with the weak tip. One thing to watch out for is the last time I added weight and epoxy to the N/C tip is the epoxy really heated up. So I just placed the tip of the N/C in a glass of water while epoxy cured.

Ok my gel coat nosecone for my L3 rocket, I added something like 5/6lbs and anchored it with all thread and foam. The PML foam creates a nice, rigid structure inside the nosecone. Then your only worry would be chipped gel coat. Mine chipped just landing in soft field down in Princeton.
That was an 8" nosecone, not sure how different the 6" would be.
I wouldn't preferred a FWFG, but the gel coat NC worked fine.

Yea I think for mine I'm basically going to fix up the glass from the outside, drill a hole in the bulkhead and pour in some two part foam.

Yea I think for mine I'm basically going to fix up the glass from the outside, drill a hole in the bulkhead and pour in some two part foam.

Sounds like the best you can do without cutting out the bulk plate and getting inside. Was the wrap salvageable? Did you figure out exactly what happened? Pic of the damage?

The wrap is not damaged at all; there's just a big dent in it and the cone, which makes it look like a giant plastic nose cone that is dented. With some careful cutting and gluing I might get away without any damage to the wrap. I think that the cone might've been struck by the fincan during the drogue deployment sequence. I actually didn't even notice it until after I got home, which might be because the flame pattern hid it so well or maybe it actually occurred in the back of my truck when I hit a bump on the way back.

The 5.5"-98mm size is not on the drop down menu but they do show it on the main listing. Give them a call, they may have that in stock since it is a pretty popular LOC tube size. Otherwise I'm sure you could order one from them.

Thank you Jeff for clarifying that for Nick@JET. I do have to fix that on the site! Hope everyone is getting what they need. Of course send a message if I can help in any way.........

T-5 days and counting! Leaving for Airfest at 4am Friday morning, should arrive about 9:30ish. I'm getting pretty excited about this launch. Did a dry run yesterday prepping the rocket for flight using my pre-flight check list, that took a little over an hour to complete. I didn't run into anything unforeseen other that one of the sheer pin holes was a bit too small, easily fixed. Building the M1315 motor today, one less thing to do as I start sweating every detail Saturday morning for the L3 flight

Back