Level 2 rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Terneus

Reaction score
I am in the primary faze of looking for a good level 2 rocket kit.
This is what I am looking for in the kit.
1. Dual and single deploy capable.
2. Min. body dia. of 3.9"
3. Weight about 7 lbs. + or -
4. Quantum tubing or fiberglassed body tube.
Suggestions anyone?
L.T.

If you could give up the QT/Fiberglass body (you could easily do your own fiberglassing), I would go with the Public Enemy Extreme Performer with Dual Deploy. You would get the whole thing for $86.

You could get an even cooler kit (again without QT/Fiberglass) by taking advantage of the sale at Omega Rocketry on Binder Design kits. Looks like they still have a Sentinel for $80 and a Raptor for $88. These are great kits but then you would also have to order a dual deploy for $30 bucks or so additional.

-Tim

I'm planning on building a PML Black Brant X for my L2 (I'll probably build it this summer and fly it on an I600 in the fall, and go for L2 in the spring. I'll start as soon as I successfully fly my dual deployment Tomahawk (hopefully next month)).

I was looking at the kits you guys suggested, they are pretty cool. Even so I can't believe the $$$$ for HPR kits.....OUCH !!!!!!

Originally posted by dixontj93060
If you could give up the QT/Fiberglass body (you could easily do your own fiberglassing), I would go with the Public Enemy Extreme Performer with Dual Deploy. You would get the whole thing for $86.

You could get an even cooler kit (again without QT/Fiberglass) by taking advantage of the sale at Omega Rocketry on Binder Design kits. Looks like they still have a Sentinel for $80 and a Raptor for $88. These are great kits but then you would also have to order a dual deploy for $30 bucks or so additional.

-Tim

I second the Extreme Performer. I use it for my L2 on a J460T.
Here's a pic.
main.jpg

Paul,

That's why we need good parachutes ;-)

Seriously though. It's a lot cheaper than playing golf. I'll drop $80 to $100 a round at a decent course.

-Tim

Originally posted by plasticpaul
I was looking at the kits you guys suggested, they are pretty cool. Even so I can't believe the $$$$ for HPR kits.....OUCH !!!!!!

If you check out Giant Leap Rocketry's website, you will see that they supply components for you to do custom work.

It might be cheaper to design your own rocket that isn't as large and designed to have a budget. Most of their kits weigh like 15 plus lbs because it comes with EVERYTHING you need except parachute, (so you can choose your own size). The kits even come with plastic spoons for good epoxy fillets as well as a video to show you how to build the rocket along with a multi page packet of instructions.

I am saying it might be cheaper to make your own L2 rocket if you chose wisely.

Ian

I sell rockets basically for fun and I have an LOC EZ 65 and an LOC-IV for sale. Both of them I would pass on to you pretty cheaply.

The EZ 65 comes with a payload section and all it needs is an AvBay. The LOCIV doesn't have the payload and would need an AvBay as well. I have an LOC E-Bay XL too.

I would personally buy a longer payload section for the EZ 65, but I don't know if you're going for low budget.

Generally, either of these would do about 2,400 -- 2,600 feet on an AT-J350W.

Let me know if you're interested, or check out my website www.astralisrocketry.com.

I would agree here. I bought a mix of components on auction for my L2 build. Total for components including fiberglass, CF, epoxy, primer & paint, I'd say is going to be about $75 (not including motor retainer which I splurged on). It is a 5.5" airframe and 75" tall with dual deploy--an equivalent kit purchased retail would probably be $200 to $300.

Originally posted by chicagonative17

I am saying it might be cheaper to make your own L2 rocket if you chose wisely.

Latest posts

Back