Lesson to be learned - fire caused by model rocket on the 4th of July -dry conditions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition, they got into legal trouble as well.

More and more, it will be preferred to fly on your own property or with a club to avoid those pesky legal issues.

Back to the story, it would have been good to know if the rocket ignition event was the proximate cause, or something else. Regardless, flying in dry conditions is risky for both you and the property owner (and often, the adjacent property owners).

Greg

Whoa!! I need some explainin'-"The Aurora Fire Department said a model rocket is not considered fireworks, but is still illegal. The two brothers responsible will be fined, they said."

How are model rockets "illegal"? Or should it have said "model rockets are illegal to be fired in public parks"? Or is there a burn ban in effect and you can't fly rockets during that?

I don't have a problem with them getting fined. They started the fire out of their own stupidity.

The story was badly written (what a shock).

I kind of inferred from the story there was a temporary burn ban due to drought conditions but really I am just guessing.

The story was badly written (what a shock).

I kind of inferred from the story there was a temporary burn ban due to drought conditions but really I am just guessing.

Due to the fire ban we are restricted from launching within city limits. Our club can't launch at our site right now due to ban as well.

I kind of figured that was the case.

The story is unclear whether launching was forbidden by a temporary ban (burn ban), but also implied to some extent that model rocketry is illegal in and of itself.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/fireworks-suspected-as-cause-of-small-brush-fire-at-great-plains-park-in-aurora-on-4th-of-july

Looks like a model rocketeer had a bad day. Dry conditions persist here in Colorado along the Front Range and it would appear at least in this case someone did not take that into account or had a malfunction that was unforeseen.

I'd say a model rocketeer knowingly or un-knowingly violated the safety code:

9. Launch Site. I will launch my rocket outdoors, in an open area at least as large as shown in the accompanying table, and in safe weather conditions with wind speeds no greater than 20 miles per hour. I will ensure that there is no dry grass close to the launch pad, and that the launch site does not present risk of grass fires.

Pretty simple, IMO and a black eye for all of us I'm afraid.

A perfect example of "I'm too cool/smart/whatever to bother with reading or following the safety code"

And I have no idea how to get through their thick heads and convince them that they actually do need to follow the safety code. There are too many of these dummies to wait for a Darwinian effect to fix the problem, they are gonna get our rockets outlawed before they learn anything.

Here in Washington, model rockets are not considered to be fireworks either, but are subject to fire restrictions. I hate the "stupido's" that think they are above the law and they do not care if there are safety codes or they don't give a s**t how their actions may hurt those us that follow the safety codes. I hope they get a big fine and jail time or it's time for a blanket party!!

I normally don't reply to the comments in news sites, but check out my reply to the guy that compared model rocketry to model railroading.

This week-end at our event they check the risk of fire establish by the government , it was severe but not extreme, so we don't fly Skid mark, we have extinguishers and we was enough peoples to take control of a small fire, now if peoples launch rockets on dry land with extreme condition, they deserve to be find and pay for the cost of their mistake and lost their NRA or TRA membership.

Whoa!! I need some explainin'-"The Aurora Fire Department said a model rocket is not considered fireworks, but is still illegal. The two brothers responsible will be fined, they said."

How are model rockets "illegal"? Or should it have said "model rockets are illegal to be fired in public parks"? Or is there a burn ban in effect and you can't fly rockets during that?

I don't have a problem with them getting fined. They started the fire out of their own stupidity.

Lazy journalists trying to cut their word count and not giving a whit about the accuracy of the story...

Never believe anything you see or hear from the media anyway... it's all about ratings/advertising sales... "journalism" is a lost art...

A kid burned down our high school a few years ago in town... of course the media descended like vultures over a roadkill, and the circus was ridiculous... and 95% of what they reported was inaccurate, incorrect, distorted, or factually wrong, or outright lies designed strictly to skew public opinion to their agenda's viewpoint-- IOW, "spin" or propaganda...

Later! OL JR :)

I normally don't reply to the comments in news sites, but check out my reply to the guy that compared model rocketry to model railroading.

Nice using his own words to state his ignorance of our hobby..

Here in Michigan, everything is legal now. Wild west style. And people can't handle it. They're supposed to end fireworks at 10:00pm but people are launching mortars that rattle the house alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll night. Baby needs to sleep? Too bad for you!

I can confirm this.

This is sad. A simple listen to common sense could have solved everything. Lucky that no one got hurt

The story is likely referring to the ban in place for "pyro". We had a similar ban in Idaho last year and our club doesn't launch during the hot summer months because of fire concerns.

Don't read the comment in the story about a guy who mocks model rocketry because it requires "no skills" unlike his model train hobby. lol

Freakin tool.

Here in Edmonton one cannot launch a "self powered projectile or flying device" within city limits without a permit.

Yeah, try to get a permit. Easier to do a root canal on a badger on crack.

Back